Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Learned
What kind of monkeyfuck spastic name is Xbox 2, anyway?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, if XSX or PS5 can do it and 2080 can't, I dont see this as a win for PC master race.

More of a win for Nvidia that managed to rip off customers selling underperforming overpriced junk. Those fuckers need to step up their game so they dont end up like Intel when Ryzen 3900x came out. A whole generation behind.

The Decline

Arcane
Well, if XSX or PS5 can do it and 2080 can't, I dont see this as a win for PC master race.

More of a win for Nvidia that managed to rip off customers selling underperforming overpriced junk. Those fuckers need to step up their game so they dont end up like Intel when Ryzen 3900x came out. A whole generation behind.

If AMD can deliver this kind of performance for consoles what the hell have they been doing for the past few years?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron

If AMD can deliver this kind of performance for consoles what the hell have they been doing for the past few years?
You tell me. Im not an analyst. Yesterday reviews came out for the new AMDs 35w laptop CPU and it flew past Intels high end without breaking a sweat. Heres one https://youtu.be/ZYqG31V4qtA

Is expecting a similar leap on GPU side for next gen that impossible?
My theory is that AMDs version of ray tracing will be much more efficient than Nvidias. Otherwise it wouldnt be included on consoles either. Cause if Nvidias was any good the amount of games that uses ray tracing would be in hundreds now, instead we got 5 games in 18 months since RTX lineup has been out and is having trouble running even those 5 games.

This gen has been a waste cause of their greed, much like Intels playbook. If my 1070 Ti dies right now and I have to buy a new card, getting 20x card would feel like Im getting ripped off.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
nVidia shoved ray tracing in before developers were ready to support it to justify ratcheting up the price of all their cards. I don't think that proves anything about how much ray tracing power the consoles will have though. If they significantly beyond a 2080ti's ray tracing abilities I'd be very surprised.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Wish I'd bought a 1080Ti when I had the chance... Skipped the wrong generation, damn it.

Without AMD providing some real competition for their high-end cards, I doubt NVIDIA are going to improve matters...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Without AMD providing some real competition for their high-end cards, I doubt NVIDIA are going to improve matters...

There are rumors of a high-end AMD card with ray tracing coming out around when the consoles do, which is the only thing that could bring nVidia's pricing down.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
You wished you paid 800$ for a video card? :shredder:
Well, I'm stuck with my venerable 970 now... And the 1080 at least would have been a real upgrade (wasn't it cheaper before the bitcoin miners went on a buying spree?).
2080ti seems like extra shit value for the money (1200+ euros lol)... 2080 super only has 8 gigs of VRAM usually, and I'm not sure that's going to be enough in the future for 4k+ gaming once the texture sizes go up.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

There are rumors of a high-end AMD card with ray tracing coming out around when the consoles do, which is the only thing that could bring nVidia's pricing down.
My half brother works for AMD and told me a while ago that they're looking to get out of the PC graphics card business or at least to reduce that side of the company :/

Not sure he's really correct (maybe it's just high end stuff?), but if they become the standard manufacturer for console cards, who knows. Or maybe the graphics card side can become its own thing as ATI again?

I hope he's just plain wrong, but if they already have had working high end cards for a while (aside from the ill-fated 7) for the consoles, then my other worry is that it's all too tied to console releases and not upstaging console performance via pc and such, idk.
Why wait so long otherwise.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
2080Ti is a beast of a card, I just believe the way that Nvidia is handling raytracing is extremely inefficient.
AMD released a demo vid last week showing off their raytracing. Here

Now, will that next AMD card that supports raytracing gonna be as powerful as 2080Ti? No. Probably not. 99% sure of it.
But is it going to handle raytracing better? All I have seen and read so far leans to yes.

Alot of games running on One X run now in pure 4k. Series X is atleast twice as powerful. I am 90% convinced that next Forza will be running in 4k+raytracing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My half brother works for AMD and told me a while ago that they're looking to get out of the PC graphics card business or at least to reduce that side of the company... I hope he's just plain wrong, but if they already have had working high end cards for a while (aside from the ill-fated 7) for the consoles, then my other worry is that it's all too tied to console releases and not upstaging console performance via pc and such, idk.Why wait so long otherwise.

I really doubt it, they have good market share on the lower end, Ryzen's success is proof they can still compete and their architecture redesign was very well received on PC. Not sure what you mean by higher end for consoles either, since it's basically a 5700xt like everyone and their mother predicted.

Alot of games running on One X run now in pure 4k. Series X is atleast twice as powerful. I am 90% convinced that next Forza will be running in 4k+raytracing.

A 2080ti can't push Control with ray tracing past 1080p60, but you think a Series X will play games in full native 4k at 60fps with ray tracing? I get that consoles are more well optimized, and that AMD's architecture is the same, but that just seems suuuuuuper fanciful to me.

sullynathan

Arcane
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/07/introducing-dualsense-the-new-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

DualSense-Controller-for-PS5-1.jpg

See the first images of DualSense, which will bring the sense of touch to PS5 gameplay.

pslogo-avatar.jpg

Hideaki NishinoSenior Vice President, Platform Planning & Management
We’ve reached an exciting milestone with PlayStation 5, as we’re starting to ship our new controller in its final design to developers who are implementing its unique features into their games. But first, we wanted everyone in the PlayStation community to get a first look at the DualSense™ wireless controller, and hear our vision for how the new controller will captivate more of your senses as you interact with the virtual worlds in PS5 games. The features of DualSense, along with PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech, will deliver a new feeling of immersion to players.

When PS4 launched in 2013, the DualShock 4 wireless controller garnered a lot of positive feedback from gamers and developers for being the best PlayStation controller yet, and for introducing forward-looking features like the Share button. This brought us to the next question – how do we build upon that success?

After thoughtful consideration, we decided to keep much of what gamers love about DualShock 4 intact, while also adding new functionality and refining the design. Based on our discussions with developers, we concluded that the sense of touch within gameplay, much like audio, hasn’t been a big focus for many games. We had a great opportunity with PS5 to innovate by offering game creators the ability to explore how they can heighten that feeling of immersion through our new controller. This is why we adopted haptic feedback, which adds a variety of powerful sensations you’ll feel when you play, such as the slow grittiness of driving a car through mud. We also incorporated adaptive triggers into the L2 and R2 buttons of DualSense so you can truly feel the tension of your actions, like when drawing a bow to shoot an arrow.

This provided us with an exciting challenge to design a new controller that builds off of the current generation, while taking into account the new features we were adding. For example, with adaptive triggers, we had to consider how the components would fit into the hardware, without giving it a bulky feeling. Our design team worked closely with our hardware engineers to place the triggers and actuators. The designers were then able to draw the lines of how the exterior of the controller would look and feel, with a challenge of making the controller feel smaller than it really looks. In the end, we changed the angle of the hand triggers and also made some subtle updates to the grip. We also took thoughtful consideration into ways to maintain a strong battery life for DualSense’s rechargeable battery, and to lessen the weight of the controller as much as possible as new features were added.

For the buttons, you’ll notice there is no longer a “Share” button as we had with DualShock 4. Don’t worry – it’s not going away. In fact, we’ve built upon the success of our industry-first Share button to bring you a new “Create” button feature. With Create, we’re once again pioneering new ways for players to create epic gameplay content to share with the world, or just to enjoy for themselves. We’ll have more details on this feature as we get closer to launch.

DualSense also adds a built-in microphone array, which will enable players to easily chat with friends without a headset – ideal for jumping into a quick conversation. But of course, if you are planning to chat for a longer period, it’s good to have that headset handy.

Now, let’s talk about the colors. Traditionally our base controllers have a single color. As you can see, we went a different direction this time around, and decided on a two-toned design. Additionally, we changed the position of the light bar that will give it an extra pop. On DualShock 4, it sat on the top of the controller; now it sits at each side of the touch pad, giving it a slightly larger look and feel.

In all, we went through several concepts and hundreds of mockups over the last few years before we settled on this final design. DualSense has been tested by a wide range of gamers with a variety of hand sizes, in order for us to achieve the comfort level we wanted, with great ergonomics. Our goal with DualSense is to give gamers the feeling of being transported into the game world as soon as they open the box. We want gamers to feel like the controller is an extension of themselves when they’re playing – so much so that they forget that it’s even in their hands!

We are thrilled about sharing the final look of the DualSense controller with our fans, and we can’t wait for everyone to get their hands on it! I’d like to close with a message from SIE President & CEO Jim Ryan to the community:

“DualSense marks a radical departure from our previous controller offerings and captures just how strongly we feel about making a generational leap with PS5. The new controller, along with the many innovative features in PS5, will be transformative for games – continuing our mission at PlayStation to push the boundaries of play, now and in the future. To the PlayStation community, I truly want to thank you for sharing this exciting journey with us as we head toward PS5’s launch in Holiday 2020. We look forward to sharing more information about PS5, including the console design, in the coming months.”

– Jim Ryan, President & CEO, Sony Interactive Entertainment

Zeriel

Arcane
Really sucks to need a new computer right now, but not want to get one because of the tech transition and... well, you know, everything being closed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Really sucks to need a new computer right now, but not want to get one because of the tech transition and... well, you know, everything being closed.

Wait until nVidia's next lineup or the suppose higher end AMD stuff, at least.

Venser

Erudite
Don't like the color scheme and it's fair to assume the console will use the same. I hope they're gonna have some single color alternatives ready on launch.
The most puzzling thing is they released an attachment to add back buttons to Dual Shock in what seemed to be a preparation for PS5 transition but the new controller doesn't have them??!! Also no headphone jack? They expect us to use Bluetooth and I fucking hate that.

sullynathan

Arcane
Don't like the color scheme and it's fair to assume the console will use the same. I hope they're gonna have some single color alternatives ready on launch.
The most puzzling thing is they released an attachment to add back buttons to Dual Shock in what seemed to be a preparation for PS5 transition but the new controller doesn't have them??!! Also no headphone jack? They expect us to use Bluetooth and I fucking hate that.
You can do voice chat without a headphone this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom