Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

DemonKing

Arcane

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, they already let the cat out of the bag that they're all gonna be on Xbox One and PC as well, so not sure how exciting "Series X games!!!" is really. Would be nice to see some good PC new game announcements though.

Lunac

Arcane
Much like the last gen consoles, these are just budget entry-level gaming AMD PCs circa 2018 in customized small form factor cases. Truly custom and specialized hardware consoles are dead, with PS3 being the last of it's kind. At least the original xbox had a nice top end GeForce-3 GPU in it. This will have some AMD shitshow of a compute-reduced GPU. AMD's hardware eratta will drive the devs insane. At least Zen arch is better than the current AMD Jaguar hardware in PS4/Xbox1, which was originally quite literally a tablet/mobile space CPU.

That said, putting AMD... anything in a console is beyond being "not the smartest idea" except when it comes to cost benefits AND this is what its all bout! "How cheap can we go?!" Hell, a generation old custom Pascal/CoffeeLake Intel+Nvidia solution would be insanely faster and more capable, but definitely NOT cheaper. Nvidia stuff is not cheap. Same goes for Intel. Nobody would pay $800 or $900 or more for a Intel+NV hardware powered console. Hence, AMD.

Glad to see consoles are having their own little internal decline, cost cutting, and general qualitative race to the bottom and all that. Hopefully PS6/Xbox2031 will be powered by a beefed up VIA C3 with all that entails.

.​

Modron

Arcane
All for the low low cost of 500+ which you could have just used to upgrade your toaster instead.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Much like the last gen consoles, these are just budget entry-level gaming AMD PCs circa 2018 in customized small form factor cases.

It's basically a 5700xt+ and a Ryzen 3700, which I wouldn't call "budget." The SSDs are impressive as well, and better than mine. However it'll be a mid-range rig in a year or so probably, and the PS5 will be weaker. Consoles are always WAY more optimized for though, so I'm sure Series X versions will look better than average PC versions for a while. However since they'll likely focus on 4k and ray tracing for marketing purposes, I'd bet a lot of 1440p PC gamers will be just fine. 4k monitors are like 4% of the monthly sales market last time I looked, they're nowhere near as popular as they are with TVs.

abija

Prophet
They are popular with TVs because it's been really hard to find a non 4K TV with decent specs for a while. And considering size/distance from screen most TVs really don't need 4k.

JDR13

Arcane
Not sure if anyone was actually expecting any decent exclusives for Xbox Series X. That's always been a weak point for Microsoft. I've never even thought about purchasing any Xbox system because 99% of the decent titles eventually come to PC anyways.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Amazing how in the middle of this noise of terraflops and gigabytes per second SSD and amazing RAM quantity and Turbo Mode and speech about how it's a complete game changer and video games are never going to be the same....

... we have not seen a single game yet running on that kind of hardware.

I wonder why.

I don't.

The games will look only marginally better.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not sure if anyone was actually expecting any decent exclusives for Xbox Series X. That's always been a weak point for Microsoft. I've never even thought about purchasing any Xbox system because 99% of the decent titles eventually come to PC anyways.

Microsoft has promised everything on Xbox and PC for a while now, but they've also promised to develop more "not Sony" exclusives and have bought a ton of studios for that purpose. How many and how big they are, who knows.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Amazing how in the middle of this noise of terraflops and gigabytes per second SSD and amazing RAM quantity and Turbo Mode and speech about how it's a complete game changer and video games are never going to be the same....

... we have not seen a single game yet running on that kind of hardware.

I wonder why.

I don't.

The games will look only marginally better.

We'll see those games being shown soon enough. June will be a busy month.

And while I've no doubts Next-Gen games will look very shiny, I've my doubts they'll be any (more) fun to play.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Microsoft has promised everything on Xbox and PC for a while now, but they've also promised to develop more "not Sony" exclusives and have bought a ton of studios for that purpose. How many and how big they are, who knows.

Microsoft can promise a lot of things but I think the first "wave" of games for xbox will be shit like Grounded because they don't have the time to develop proper games.

That's why I don't have high hopes but still I hope they show at least something decent. At this point I'm willing to take almost anything not-retarded.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Microsoft can promise a lot of things but I think the first "wave" of games for xbox will be shit like Grounded because they don't have the time to develop proper games.

They started buying up a bunch of studios several years ago. If they still have nothing impressive to launch with, that's just bad management.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
No matter how much money they throw at inxile and obsidian, they will never ever be able to even reach the level of AAA mass appeal Sony first party studios manage to release. Inxile... Obsidian... Competing with God of war, uncharted, last of us, spider Man, ghost of tsushima, etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No matter how much money they throw at inxile and obsidian, they will never ever be able to even reach the level of AAA mass appeal Sony first party studios manage to release. Inxile... Obsidian... Competing with God of war, uncharted, last of us, spider Man, ghost of tsushima, etc.

They bought way more than those two studios. You're not wrong that Sony has a slate of exclusive mainstream games people seem to love though. None of them have really made me want to buy a console, but they're popular. Can MS step it up? Who knows. All I care about is maybe some good PC announcements.

Pegultagol

Erudite
There is that Hellblade II game...holds the most promise from what I looked. Should run and look better on Xbox with first party implementation, with 4K, HDR, raytracing, etc. Gamepass on Windows PCs might not run as well, but from what I tried the first party games (Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5) were pretty optimized.

A horse of course

I hope those of you who embed the trailers are ready for my "meh" ratings

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom