Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Amazing how in the middle of this noise of terraflops and gigabytes per second SSD and amazing RAM quantity and Turbo Mode and speech about how it's a complete game changer and video games are never going to be the same....

... we have not seen a single game yet running on that kind of hardware.

I wonder why.

I don't.

The games will look only marginally better.

Reposting this after this Inside Xbox bullshit.

Venser

Erudite
At least they showed some new IPs instead of endless sequels. I'm curious about the horror game with Akira Yamaoka's music. I've been keeping an eye on Scorn for years. As a Giger fan IDK how I feel about it because it's not just inspired by his art, it's directly ripping it off.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not interested in anything they've shown and I just realized that I miss Arkane and their dumb games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Couldn't be bothered to watch all these "cinematic" trailers, but just watched Digital Foundry's breakdown of all of them. What a shitty showing. I mean some might be good games, I dunno, but as a first taste of "next-gen" what a total clusterfuck. Nothing looked better than Xbox One game PC versions, and even on that level I wouldn't say much of it was impressive. Maybe this is just the reality of making everything cross-gen for years, but if Sony shows some actual next-gen games they'll be so far ahead from a PR perspective. Microsoft's next showcase in June or whatever better be a lot fucking better.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Can't wait for the absolute RP clusterfuck when Sony and MS have both to admit that games look just a tiny bit better than before in front of the angry gayming masses.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
The first excuse is going to be "Listen, it's a crossgen title."

Then it's going to be "Listen, it's because it's multiplatform".

Then it's going to be "Listen, it's an artistic choice."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gamers just want to play multiplayer open world big budget games, Graphics are secondary.

I would guess the SSDs lowering load times and helping with pop-in will blow console gamer minds way more than whatever ray tracing they scrap together with 2020 tech.

sullynathan

Arcane
Gamers just want to play multiplayer open world big budget games, Graphics are secondary.

I would guess the SSDs lowering load times and helping with pop-in will blow console gamer minds way more than whatever ray tracing they scrap together with 2020 tech.
Doubtful. All the top most played games on consoles are already 60 fps multiplayer games without extreme loading times.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In 1080p with RTX off? You bet.

The industry is quickly pushing forward on rendering at 1080p and then using reconstruction to get a "4k" image, so I'm not sure low res will save you forever. I'm also sure you know older architectures often stop getting performance optimizations in drivers. We're already seeing new releases that run much worse on the 1000 series than the 2000 series. We'll see though, you're not wrong that the focus on fancy lighting and particle effects often mean turning them all off allows for huge boosts in performance. I remember being bummed I couldn't run Outer Worlds above 60fps on my 144hz monitor, but then I turned it down to medium and suddenly it ran at 120fps.

Perkel

Arcane
Something smells here. IF they really did use blender assets etc then how the hell they were able to fit terabytes of data into VRAM.

Secondly they claim that every source gives proper dynamic light with GI but when yellow ball of light at the end flows out of device it doesn't give any light to surroundings.

Also that framerate...

Either way if tech works it means a lot to game making. No need to care for LOD system would be huge for speed of making games. It would also change a lot predicting game speed as it would be dynamic according to hardware rather than some set point you target.

Also people need to remember their previous "next gen" UE4 demo where they had to scale back SVOGI after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom