Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Subdued Software has partnered with Bryan Wiegele, creator of the Delaware St. John series, to bring a new FMV horror series to iPad and PC.

“Relics” is the story of Matthew Hunter and his pursuit of cursed family heirlooms that hold the key to releasing him from a dark curse. Combining high-quality movie production with proven gaming tech is sure to give adventure gamers a new experience in horror this summer!

For more information about Relics, please visit us on Facebook and online at www.relicsgame.com

Relics is being developed and published by Subdued Software www.subduedsoftware.com

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Alpha Polaris™ now has an official website

http://www.turmoilgames.com/

In the midst of the snowfields of Greenland lies Alpha Polaris™, an American oil research station. High above, the ion storm of the century is gathering, bringing about a strange intermixing of reality and night terrors. It is up to Rune Knudsen, a Norwegian biologist, to take on a desperate struggle against fear and death, and to face the primordial force lurking beyond the veiled sky.

“The heart of the game is its restrained horror setting. It allows us to explore a wide range of human themes in a realistic way: paranoia, isolation, friendship, love and so on. To us, that is the core of a good horror adventure.” -project leader Teemu Vilén.

Alpha Polaris: a Horror Adventure Game will be available on Windows PC on 24.6.2011. The game will be initially available for download in English and German. Other language versions (announced later) will be published regionally.

VERY interested in this. Gawd PLEASE let us get a good English translation. :PRAY:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Looks nice
I espiecially like the character silhouttes in dialogue. however, the protagonist looks more like a high school student, not a biologist. But that's just a minor graphixwhore complaint.

likaq

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Alpha Polaris™ now has an official website

http://www.turmoilgames.com/

In the midst of the snowfields of Greenland lies Alpha Polaris™, an American oil research station. High above, the ion storm of the century is gathering, bringing about a strange intermixing of reality and night terrors. It is up to Rune Knudsen, a Norwegian biologist, to take on a desperate struggle against fear and death, and to face the primordial force lurking beyond the veiled sky.

“The heart of the game is its restrained horror setting. It allows us to explore a wide range of human themes in a realistic way: paranoia, isolation, friendship, love and so on. To us, that is the core of a good horror adventure.” -project leader Teemu Vilén.

Alpha Polaris: a Horror Adventure Game will be available on Windows PC on 24.6.2011. The game will be initially available for download in English and German. Other language versions (announced later) will be published regionally.

VERY interested in this. Gawd PLEASE let us get a good English translation. :PRAY:

Demo is here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20368132/AP_DEMO_EN_exe

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Forgot to post that. I played the demo yesterday. Logical puzzles. Good Voice Acting, good music good writing. GREAT graphics. I will definitely be buying this when it comes out.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Review forA New Beginning Daedalic Entertainment's latest Adventure game.

Pros
Gripping plot; stunning hand-painted artwork; memorable and relatable characters; clever and satisfying puzzles; grand orchestral soundtrack.

Cons
Some voice acting is mediocre; an assortment of small technical issues.

Verdict
4 stars out of 5
Blending strongly-defined characters into a stunning and memorable backdrop, A New Beginning is an "eco-thriller" that is not to be missed.

A few technical failings aside, A New Beginning comes highly recommended. It’s not often that I consider a game hard to put down, but I found myself getting deeply invested in the plot as it unravelled thanks to its convincing characterisation and an increasingly gripping storyline. Although there’s an obvious environmental focus, there’s also a strong heart to the story and it’s this that powers your desire to play on. Any minor problems that arise are quickly overshadowed by the stunning artwork and the inventive, well-integrated puzzles, so whatever your view on global warming, do yourself a favour and shell out the green for A New Beginning.

Sounds interesting. official site here: http://www.earth-game.com/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -This-Year

The original Leisure Suit Larry game (or to be more precise, the VGA revamp of the original LSL game) is being re-released later this year, apparentely as a "new game". At least Al Lowe is involved in the process this time.

The news bit is unsurprisingly vague about how exactly this is going to be done. Is it the original in a Flash-based format, or is it a revamp of a revamp? Is this some kind of "Leisure Suit Larry SE"?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
My name is Peter Zippert and I am a member of Twistedmind Studios, a small game company from Sweden. Since this forum is centred around you who love both old and new adventure game titles I felt it would be appropriate to let you know about our upcoming PC title Dark Secrets, and that we just released a playable demo up for your enjoyment.

If you are interested just click the links underneath to find yourself onto either our IndieDb page for more information, screenshots and also our teaser.

to get the demo right away, click the link to download it from hotfile. (this is due to our indiedb page is currently awaiting the all green from mods on the download and news.)

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dark-secrets

Dark Secrets Demo Install.exe - 160.8 MB

We would love to know your thoughts about the demo, and any feedback or comment might be valuable to us to improve the final full version of the game.

Hope you enjoy this preview, and i will be answering your questions to my fullest ability as I receive them.

Oh i almost forgot! we also have a Facebook page for those who wish to spread the word, you can find that one right here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dark-S...14810565211531

P.Zippert Twistedmind Studios

If I get some time today, I might give this a try. It looks a bit like Amnesia.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Alpha Polaris trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDYEqHAKz8

If you didn't want to try the demo, this gives a fairly good summary of the VO's, Music, Animations, graphics and inventory and puzzles.

I'm still really looking forward to this, and supporting them, I liked the demo a lot.

Rosslyn - The Templar Mystery
http://rosslyn.ovine.net/index.html

Upon the death of your Grandfather Douglas Black a
diary is passed onto you through his will.
It is a very strange diary, full of tales of the templar
knights and the holy land, rosslyn chapel and a
great secret kept hidden for hundreds of years.

Can you finish your Grandfathers work?
Unlock the secret of rosslyn chapel and find
the great treasure the templar knights
fought and died for?

This is a free to play, 3D point and click adventure game, that is surprisingly "shareware" in that if you enjoy it, give them a donation if you want (you do not have too).

I'm d/l the game now... for a free game not expecting much so I'll see for myself. As a HUGE fan of conspiracy and Templar stuff I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Manny

Educated
Jaesun said:
Alpha Polaris trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUDYEqHAKz8

If you didn't want to try the demo, this gives a fairly good summary of the VO's, Music, Animations, graphics and inventory and puzzles.

I'm still really looking forward to this, and supporting them, I liked the demo a lot.

The trailer looks good. And, after your good comments about the demo, I'm downloading it to try it.

Rosslyn - The Templar Mystery
http://rosslyn.ovine.net/index.html

This is a free to play, 3D point and click adventure game, that is surprisingly "shareware" in that if you enjoy it, give them a donation if you want (you do not have too).

I'm d/l the game now... for a free game not expecting much so I'll see for myself. As a HUGE fan of conspiracy and Templar stuff I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Waiting for your impressions of the game, Jaesun. I don't have much time to try the game myself if it isn't at least a decent adventure.

Thanks for the news.

FaChoi

Educated
Alpha Polaris is out.

I rather enjoyed it, price seemed about right for what you were getting (£15 in my case). Demo was a bit too short for my liking, should maybe have let you play to the end of the first day.

Translation was good, a few spelling mistakes but nothing major. No problem with the VO.

Bit late to go into any detail but http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1332/ sums it up pretty well.

Most of the puzzles are fairly simple to figure out, solved by using inventory items and certain tools and devices in the environment. Some are as easy as following instructions, like when Rune is making a baked Alaska for Nova. But effort has been made to add different kinds of challenges as well. Hearkening back to the days before point-and-click, some sections require you to actually type in an answer to a question. Early on, for example, you are questioned how to move a 500-pound polar bear into a cage. Later these puzzles take the form of translating pictograms you discover. Using clues the game provides, you’ll need to determine just what certain pictures represent. I found this frustrating at first, as the game would fail to recognize many of my answers as correct. But as I got the hang of the logic behind them and solved a few, the rest became much easier and the puzzle as a whole felt quite satisfying.

A couple of other puzzles are less intuitive. One has you using a tracking device and moving Rune’s character around very precisely to triangulate a position. It’s a little different, but still based heavily in logic and didn’t give too much trouble. Where I found myself baffled was a particular puzzle in which you need to cut pins on a blank key in order to make a master key that unlocks all the doors of the facility. I found some other key shapes to base my master key design on, but that is all the help the game provides. Personally I have no experience with keys or their workings, and even after I looked up the answer I still was confused as to how I was supposed to arrive at the solution

Yeah that key bit fried my brain, got there when I concentrated on the 'master' part of making a key though.

Also features optional romance love making :smug:

FaChoi

Educated
And some news I noticed today while trying to replay Grim Fandango was the following announcement on the Residual sourceforge page. Residual being the Scummvm like program for playing Grime games.

aquadran on 25th April 2011 said:
It's been over 2 years since the last news on this page, and a lot has happened.

We have switched from svn to git, and quite a bit has been fixed, which leads me to today's headline:

Grim Fandango just changed status to "completable with a few minor glitches".

Yes, that's right, you can now play Grim Fandango right through to the end. As a sidenote we now also accept Bug Reports for Grim. So, get on over to the download page, and grab a fresh nightly. Oh, and that compass in the handle, sure will come in handy too!

:love:

Edit:
Jaesun said:
Posting a link sure would be handy.

Yeah would have been :oops: http://residual.sourceforge.net/

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Alpha Solaris actually looks decidedly jummy. Very atmospheric. Anyone played the game at length already?

AP2.jpg

ap1.jpg

AP5.png

Crawler

Barely Literate
I am almost finishing it. Very good game, my only complaint is that it is quite short.

I urge you all to buy the game and to support the company.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Crawler said:
I am almost finishing it. Very good game, my only complaint is that it is quite short.

I urge you all to buy the game and to support the company.

Yeah my main worry is that is was going to be too short (a common thing now days sadly). But I try to support indies with my wallet, so I'll be picking this up after finishing my current game of CoK.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Book of Unwritten Tales is FINALLY getting an English Translation:

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/book-unwr ... es/preview

The Book of Unwritten Tales, a humorous point-and-click adventure from KING Art Games, has been available in Germany and other parts of Europe for a while already, but we're happy to report that it has finally been confirmed for a North American release in fall 2011.

Read more: http://www.gamezebo.com/games/book-unwr ... z1TJiDgYrA

:love:

Been wanting to play this! PLEASE PLEASE give it a proper translation!

There is also a video as well in the link.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom