Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Redsea Saga - Episode One.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'd say tell the truth, but I am wandering, if we lie do you make something like a skill check[speech] or the results are pre-determined? I can easily flop if there's a dice roll

Esquilax

Arcane
The Barbarian said:
if we lie do you make something like a skill check[speech] or the results are pre-determined?

The results are definitely predetermined.

I knew it would be predetermined, that's the only way that a story like this can work. A dice roll for something like this would be fucking terrible. Why pick a choice to begin with if it's going to come down to a coin toss anyways? It would invalidate the whole thing.

Anyways, I think it's possible that Leraje may be the first BRO character we've met so far.

Tigranes

Arcane
The Codex is too consensual, where is the heated debate?

I feel the Barbarian has given us a fairly hedged choice, though, esp. given how our hero seems a lot more hesitant and easily unnerved than his kickarse exterior might suggest. Has to be Tell the Truth.

Esquilax

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
I really hope Barbarian makes you regret your BRO-fisting attitude.
:rpgcodex:

Crooked Bee cannot into BROFIST. I weep for you, you are lost.

Heh, like I said, if the guy wanted us dead, he would have tried to take us out without announcing his presence. I wanna do some badass ruthless shit too, but I just don't like doing stupid things because they're "evil". Can't stand Stupid Evil characters, a more opportunistic kind of asshole is what I would think is more fitting for this setting. Someone like Angel Eyes from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I say we hear Leraje out then we find some way to curbstomp Elias and Kindra for trying to involve us in their petty bullshit.

Esquilax

Arcane
BRObarian, when shall we see the next installment in this incredible saga? Please, I'm dying to know. If it turns out that Leraje is trying to ambush us and take all of our stuff, Crooked Bee will never let me live it down.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The update is certainly coming - perhaps tomorrow.

The reason it has not yet made its way here is that, unfortunately, the sad and inevitable happened, and Conan's father lost his titanic struggle with cancer.

(The funeral was a few days ago, I'm still pretty fucked up about it, but we all knew it was coming for a while, so... I guess that makes it a little easier.)

Esquilax

Arcane
My deepest condolences, Barbarian. Best wishes to you and your family in this difficult time.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Barbarian said:
The update is certainly coming - perhaps tomorrow.

The reason it has not yet made its way here is that, unfortunately, the sad and inevitable happened, and Conan's father lost his titanic struggle with cancer.

(The funeral was a few days ago, I'm still pretty fucked up about it, but we all knew it was coming for a while, so... I guess that makes it a little easier.)
There isn't much that can be said, my condolences and all the best to your family.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Barbarian thanks you, brothers!

Update Six (Episode One)

'Yes, I am looking for a man who calls himself Rivera,' you confirm reluctantly. 'It is strange to me that you would know that, Leraje. I do not believe I saw you there, during the meeting with Elias.' There is something very unsettling about this conversation - and the situation as a whole. It makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand tall.

'Leraje does not believe he was there, lawman,' he responds, chuckling. 'But Leraje has his ways. In any case, Leraje must know, why are you hunting Rivera?'

Another momentary pause hangs in the air, as you decide that you will once again be best served by the truth.

'... To kill him.'

'This is... interestin' to Leraje... Very interestin', mahn. A lawman who is lawman-no-more falls from the sky - like so much mana - to kill the unkillable Rivera. Why, mahn?' Leraje cocks his head to one side.

'I have my reasons. Why do you want to know?' Your tone is remotely threatening.

'Leraje has his reasons, mahn. You could say that Leraje is deeply inquisitive.'

Your patience is wearing thin. 'So, what now?'

Leraje mulls something in his mouth. 'Now, you thank all your lucky stars, mahn. Because Leraje will give you a helping hand. And that is no common t'ing on this world, bredda.'

You shuffle in place. 'How will you help me, Leraje?' A second, unasked question also looms large in your mind: Why will you help me, Leraje?

'Leraje will tell you something, mahn. For free. And you can take it or leave it, bredda. That is up to you.'

'... I'm listening.'

'Rivera... He a hard mahn to find. Very famous, but very hard to find. Elias lied when he said he didn't know of him, mahn. You probably knew that already, though. Rivera is well known to all those who should know of him. Anyway, mahn, you need to get to Grange. It's a ways from here. There, you'll find Deadhand. Stone cold killer, bredda, from the old days. But he knows people who know Rivera real good. Ask around, you'll find old Deadhand... dead easy.' Leraje smiles. 'Up to you how you get him to make like a bird.'

'I am very short on trust these days, Leraje.'

'Then don't trust, mahn. If you happen to find yourself in Grange, mebbe you remember this conversation. Mebbe you have a look, discreetly. You might find something of Rivera in Cortica, bredda, tru'. But all roads lead to Grange, when Rivera's on the mind.'

Your stare hardens. 'Who are you, Leraje? Who are you, really?'

The only response is a chuckle in the dark. 'Leraje? Leraje is nobody, mahn. Jus' an interested party, at an interestin' time. And mebbe, jus' mebbe, Leraje does not care for Rivera. Leraje, as you say, has his reasons.'

'Grange... Deadhand... Alright. I do not suppose you would be willing to show me the way.'

Leraje shakes his head, slowly and definitively. 'Leraje has his place, mahn. For now, it is here. But... Leraje will surely see you around, bredda.' That said - rather ominously - the tracker turns away without another word, and briskly walks around a nearby corner. You consider following him for a moment, but there really does not seem to be much of a point. Instead, you look around, wondering how much attention your conversation garnered from the locals.

Not much, as it turns out. You notice that the old man with the shattered xylophone ribcage is dead. His heaving had stopped some minutes previous. Sighing, you take out your rosary. And then you continue your early morning exploration of Iris. There is still time before your rendezvous with Kindra.

Hours of relative tranquillity pass by. Iris is everything you expected it to be. A filthy ditch where virtue lives precariously and on borrowed time. All in all, it is exactly what it has been made to be. You quickly confirm much of what Kindra has told you, during your impromptu tour of the facility. There is a lone sandskimmer being readied at a makeshift loading dock along the outer ring. It is a large, canvas-topped hover vehicle, seemingly able to transport significant quantities of processed rare minerals across some distance. And it is guarded by Elias' men. Fortunately, the quality of the sentries is not top tier, strictly speaking. One is a middle aged, rotund man armed with a chemical rifle. His teeth are almost completely rotted. Another is a gangly youth with what looks like a fleschette pistol. During your clandestine observation of the deadly duo, your old friend Rodriq from Elias' throne room joins them, making it three. For the most part, this motley congregation just sit at a rickety table near the sandskimmer, playing cards and telling bad jokes.

The plan begins to come together in your head, and you eventually decide to circle back, in order to meet Kindra at the designated time and place. It is not a long trip, and you reach the rendezvous point by nine o'clock, well before the scheduled meet-up. Then you patiently wait for her to make an appearance. The corridors of the complex are nearly empty at this time of day, and you notice few wandering souls in the quasi-darkness.

Redemption in Dub - Bill Elm and Woody Jackson

Soon, however, your dust speckled chronometer tells you that it is now ten o'clock, and there is still no sign of Kindra. You begin getting anxious. Another quarter of an hour passes before you find yourself considering the likelihood of outright betrayal. Before you have a chance to ponder the implications thereof, however, you spot trouble skulking your way. Four armed men are moving in your direction, through the corridor, trying to stay very quiet. Your ocular implants have no trouble discerning them from the surrounding shadows. Their firearms are drawn. The training kicks in immediately.

You draw your needler and hastily retreat into an adjoining passage, in order to prepare a counter-ambush. The targets will now have to cross your line of sight, before reaching the meeting spot. Within a minute, they are about to do so. The men are walking in a U-shaped formation, and as they are about to move past your hiding spot passage, the right point-man of the U peers in, dutifully checking for threats. He finds one, in the form of your needler, pointing squarely at his forehead. You squeeze the trigger, and the quaintest thwoop sound heralds the point man's brains evacuating through the back of his head. The left point man is the lucky recipient of much of his friend's grey matter, right across his torso. As your first victim falls backwards, you are already squeezing the trigger again.

Thwoop, thwoop. The left point man takes hits to the cheek and temple, and much of his face disappears. Before even the first body hits the floor, however, you are already swinging your arm around the corner. Your uncanny speed and the total surprise achieved by your counter-ambush is reflected in the dumb, mouth-agape look both of the remaining combatants give you. With a tiny flick of your thumb the needler is set to burst-mode, and the first burst punches a series of holes in one of them, extending from his stomach to his forehead. As the last living combatant wildly swings his shotgun over to fire at you with a yelp, a charged needle strikes his shoulder, cleaving muscle tissue and destroying his ability to hold the weapon, which he drops immediately.

He sinks to one knee, clutching the terrible wound with his good arm and screaming. You sprint over, clamp your hand over his mouth and put the barrel of your needler against his chest.

'Shut up! Shut up... Close your fucking mouth!' You order the bewildered thug. Somehow he complies, as tears stream down his face and onto your fingers. He whimpers.

'I am going to ask you one time: did Elias send you?'

The man nods, fitfully.

'Good. Now, you are going to tell me how he found out. I am going to move my hand so you can speak. If you shout, scream, or otherwise fuck with my situation any further, I will kill you. Instantly. Do you understand what you are being told?'

He nods again. You release your grip.

He gasps for a moment, before gritting his teeth and answering. 'Elias... caught that bitch... tryin' to run... had him some fun... she told him...'

'What is your name?'

The young man gives you a puzzled look. 'It's... it's Joseph...'

'Is she still alive, Joseph?' You ask the heavily bleeding bravo.

He nods. 'I... I think so... last I saw... she was...'

'Are you telling me the truth, Joseph?'

He nods, once again.

'Thank you.' You pull the trigger.

Do you... effect a rescue? You need Kindra's knowledge of local custom and geography. You also feel a little responsible for her current predicament. Maybe.

OR

Do you... head to the sandskimmer and take your chances? One of the locals will likely know where Cortica is, in any case, and you are a persuasive individual. You owe Kindra nothing.

SoupNazi

First off: my condolences Barbarian. It's always numbing to lose someone related to you.

To the story:

This proves that Kindra is truly a sis, and we must rescue her as she's clearly a future romance option. She was probably raped by Elias and his men so the connection is obvious.

Effect a rescue.

grotsnik

Arcane
Truly sorry for your loss, Barbarian.

I expect a lot of Bs from this hardened bunch, so I'm going for a nauseating-big-softy-rainbow-shitting-puppies-hero-to-the-rescue A instead.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As others have already remarked, words convey little when you lose a loved one. We can never feel your loss, only imagine it and reflect on our own lives and those dear to us.

I am impressed with your dedication to this thread, and would like to express my gratitude. :salute:

As for the vote, I go by A

This might fuck us over, but we do need someone who knows the ins and outs of the surrounding area, and while this might just be an elaborate setup, if it is not, then Kindra will surely be wanting to leave this place, now more than ever.

ironyuri

Mount an effecti....

Wait, what the fuck am I saying? This is the Codex.

I vote A on the condition that the word rescue be changed to rape and it involves collar-grabbing Elias, raping him, and then raping Kindra for good measure. Then we go B and get the fuck out of this shithole.

PS: Barbarian, condolences for your loss. If I'm ever in Melbourne again, I will buy you a drinking horn filled with grog so that we might drink to the blood of your ancestors and that you will carry forth their names as the scourge of these lands.

oscar

Arcane
B. She's not worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom