Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rise of THQ Nordic - buying up all the IPs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Infinitron, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    This is a consolized, popamole shit that looks like shit and plays like shit. At least RDR is a pleasure to look at and has decent voice acting.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    the best thing is we have new fucking expeditions game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Belegarsson Savant Patron

Belegarsson
    Austrian publisher huh...

EXPEDITIONS: NAPOLEONIC WARS INCOMING 2021, BITCHES
    :yeah:

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alpan Learned Patron

Alpan
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Can someone more knowledgeable give me the rundown on how exactly THQ Nordic/Nordic Games has become so influential in the AA space within such a relatively short period of time as, say, 5-6 years?

I know that they've been buying discarded IPs for relatively cheap for years, but that doesn't mean all of the games associated with those IPs have such long tails that Nordic makes a profit or breaks even on all of them. Obviously for all the exposure they have recently been enjoying in the media, their total turnover is still peanuts compared to ye olde publishing giants, but it's still interesting that we don't hear this sort of news from say, Devolver Digital (which has had multiple hits released so far including Hotline Miami, the Shadow Warrior games etc).

Of course maybe it's just that Nordic has (correctly) identified the gap in the market for AA scale games (which are perhaps the most prone to abandonment) and decided they'd be the ones consolidating. And though it's commonplace to hear about development studios collapsing, publishing probably is a fundamentally profitable enterprise in a world of digital distribution such that you can survive and grow as long as you don't do stupid shit.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    E L E X
    L
    E
    X

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    As Nordic Games they basically just churned out shovelware and casual games, they didn't do anything that spectacular. As THQ Nordic they have invested the money they made off of shovelware into buying up old IPs and rereleasing the games under those IPs and making mad money in the process for essentially zero investment (because who cares about all those old IPs amirite), and they use that money to invest into smaller European AA productions that aren't really trying to copy the latest AAA trash and instead do their own thing and filling a gap in the market.
    The owner of THQ Nordic, Lars, also has investor buddies. If I recall correctly, the Swedish bank Swedbank also holds like 6% stock in THQ Nordic.
    THQ Nordic also does physical publishing, but I think the physical publishing sector of THQ Nordic merged with Deep Silver's physical publishing sector after they bought them out.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    I only want a new Red Faction game, so I wanted Nordic (who bought the rights on the franchise) to also buy Volition from Deep Silver. What they did instead? Bought the whole Koch Media.

:shredder:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Siveon Bot Patron

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Red Faction 1 and 2 on PC would be cool. I'm only interested in the FPS titles.

^ Top  
  9. Harry Easter Learned

Harry Easter
    Hmm, sad that Spellforce 3 turned out so buggy. Would've been cool to see more from that franchise again. At least we have Desperados 3 and Elex 2 to wait for. A knew Aquanox would also be cool to be honest (this time with better storytelling).

^ Top  
  10. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    :notsureifserious:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    New Aquanox was announced 1-3 years ago and there is radio silence since then, there were screenshots, some videos maybe and maybe PAX (or else) presentations, nothing else since then.
    Wonder what happened.

^ Top  
  12. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    next up: THQ picks up anachronox and finish the damn story

please please please

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Harry Easter Learned

Harry Easter
    *Pattpatt*

Never give up hope, buddy.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    They actually own Jagged Alliance, although I think it's a bit too late. No one remembers how to make a proper tactical game anymore. Even if they wanted to make a good product, I can't think of a single studio for the task.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Sheep Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sheep
    They are making new jagged alliance. There is a problem though...

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    Yeah I know, but it reeks of decline. It's not the problem though, the problem is that I don't know if you can do better today.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Modron Arcane

Modron
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    I actually saw a news post somewhere about this game recently (because of that trailer I assume), but thought it's another 2AP nuXCOM clone and didn't pay attention. Maybe there is still hope.

^ Top  
  19. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    The ride never ends:

Carmageddon by Bugbear Entertainment? [​IMG]

• incline x 6
    • Brofist x 3
    • Excited! x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    http://www.stainlessgames.com/news/thq-nordic-ab-announces-acquisition-carmageddon-ip

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. typical user Learned

typical user
    Jesus Christ - Carmageddon, Saint's Row, Darksiders, Red Faction, Jagged Alliance and Kingdoms of Amalur. I hope they are not to slack off and will make some fine games. I like them for their balance between AAA and Indie approach to gamedev (because they are OG THQ and employ studios which used to be Deepsilver territory like Piranha Bytes with ELEX). Their products are rough diamonds, filled with passion although lacking. It's a rarity considering bastardisation of the whole genre and corpo-fucks who look at charts and oversimplify once great series into something which feels like chore with micro-transactions on top.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    ^ Top  
  22. Drax Arcane

Drax
    I want muh complete Saint's Row trilogy with good grafffixxx engine.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    This looks like a stock pyramid scheme. Buy shit to show stock how good you are and pay debts by new money generated by releasing new bonds. Rinse and repeat.

This is pretty much how Tesla operates. But Tesla tries to gets into super profteable market as leader and make truckloads of money while THQ nordic buys corpses that barely can pay for their bills because their games barely sell.

When stocks mad rush will stop and 1000+ people will need to get paid whole thing will collapse while owners will just cash in and run away with all ips transferred into second company which is private. Both creditors and stock owners will be able to make a campfire out of bill and stock.

I wish i could be this amazing.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    A long interview thing with CEO: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-06-people-of-the-year-2018-lars-wingefors

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    They are making something like 35 games now accordingly to some sources and the best news is that most of them aren't online microtransaction riddled bullshit, maybe some real incline will come from them. Spellforce 3 and ELEX were fine games and they seem to be focusing on single player games, they are shaping to be the publisher I have most hope for (and fear that this crash and burn and they become a mini Activision like the rest.).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)