Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Risen 2 Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Haven't got much further in Risen 2 yet, but for shits and giggles I reinstalled Risen 1, and it is so much better. The camera and the way the character moves being just two examples. Character animations and voiceovers are also really good. I still had my save game from my second playthrough, and I was in the swamp camp stood next to Brogar. When you talk to him, the camera behaves properly, he doesn't do any fucked up movements, and there aren't any graphical glitches. The game is smooth.

Exactly they had proven engine, game system and most of assets. I fucking hate when every new game must be new shit for the the sake of being new shit for consoltard novelty seeking plebs only. Especially when instead of new game features we got more bloom and dumbing down accessibility.

Risen2 is mostly lame, but the potential for a good game is there. That's bad, but is not a complete franchise fuck-up as we could admire in DA2/ME3 for that matter.

And for me, I still have hopes for a proper Risen3 and I don't know what Piranha Bytes is doing these days. They are not very communicative and I don't understand why.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Talking about the wolf. A new interview with Piranha Bytes: here

Gamers.de: Can you give our readers an insight into the plans for the future? As far as her off Dared course.
Piranha Bytes: As long as we are able we will continue in any case. Further than to plan until the next project is already very bold in our industry. It is very likely that our next title is an RPG again. :) There are already some good ideas that will make us a lot of fun and hopefully just as you predict. So be surprised.

Gamers.de: How do you see the future of role-playing games on the computer? Just do a lot of role-playing title that will not appear on the consoles talked about, such as "Chaos Chronicles" by Coreplay, "Project Eternity" by Obsidian and the "Baldur's Gate" remake Beamdog. Do you see a trend here, a short Aubäumen or perhaps more a renewed spring for CRPGs? Moreover, it would not be about time myself once seize the idea of a remake or a return to the world of "Gothic" thinking?
Piranha Bytes: Video Games trends nowadays are very fast and therefore it is not easy to say what will really be promising in the long run. The bill is actually quite simple. The more time and money you invest in a development on any platform, the more you rely on to achieve higher sales. If we misjudge us this rough, we have to file for bankruptcy. So we focus on our strengths and do what we do best. We believe that if we develop a game that is fun for us, it will please others. Another "Gothic"? Well, who knows what the future holds for?

Not so informative. But they are working on a RPG :bounce:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I think they have one chance left, if that fails they've lost the fanbase I feel.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
As far as I can tell, their usual fanbase suck their cocks praying Risen 2.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
As far as I can tell, their usual fanbase suck their cocks praying Risen 2.

Not entirely correct, the WorldOfRisen and WorldOfGothic forums are mostly empty or filled with negative comments.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I've been bitched out by majority on polish gothic board for saying why Risen 2 is shit on few pages of wall text.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unless they go independent they're fucked. Another piece of shit that has Derp Silver or some other crappy publisher's fingerprints on it will sink them.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I don't think it's the matter of being independent or not.

They just made a shitty game.

msxyz

Augur
I've started to play again Risen 2 after a long hiatus to see if my opinion of it would change, but I've reached the same conclusions as before. Risen 2 is no RPG and it's worse in any possible way that its predecessor; it's a different kind of game and, form whatever angle you consider it, it doesn't excel at anything.

As for the market reception, If we exclude the die hard Gothic fans, the problem with this game is that Pirana Bytes went the Bethesda route without having a big publisher behind to hype it or to indoctrinate the mass market to make it more receptive. Risen 2 is, more or less, your typical Bethesda sandbox game in a different setting.

Just like in Oblivion or Skyrim, in Risen 2 you spend most of the time bashing things and doing pointless exploration for the sake of sightseeing. There are little choice and consequences, quests can usually be approached and solved only in one way. I enjoyed the dialogues but, tbh, there's no point in paying attention to them because it's just filler content.

Had this game made by Bethesda, you would see metacritic scores going into high 80s or even 90s and it would be herlded as a " great RPG in an unique setting". Which is a shame because the setting is truly unique but the game is no RPG and, even as an adventure/sandbox game, it tends to become a little too repetitive after a while, which is why I quit playing it after reaching Antigua.

Coyote

Arcane
Tried it. Felt like an extremely watered-down version of Risen, with some of Gothic 3's bad habits returning along with some of the things that IMO made Risen itself feel relatively bland in comparison to G2:NotR.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Gothic 3 is a masterpiece in comparition to Risen 2.

Arcania is better than Risen 2.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Having played both to completion, Risen 2 is a much better game and well worth at least one playthrough.
No. They're both shit, but Arcania at least runs smooth and doesn't have so shitty character development.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
All Gothics were shit right from day 1. It's not even a RPG because it's not turn based.

Okay, it's official you're a fucking moron. Or troll. Or both.

Having played both to completion, Risen 2 is a much better game and well worth at least one playthrough.
No. They're both shit, but Arcania at least runs smooth and doesn't have so shitty character development.

Arcania runs smooth? Hardly. It's one of the most poorly optimized games even with cutting edge hardware. And while I've only played the Risen 2 demo there is no way it's worse than Arcania which runs poorly, has writing that looks like it was done by a 4th grader, and moronic linear mmo style questing. And character development? Lol? It's fucking horrible in Arcania. I'm guessing you didn't even play Arcania (not that I could blame you) but just invoke it to slam other games.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Arcania runs smooth? Hardly. It's one of the most poorly optimized games even with cutting edge hardware.
Buy a new rig for yourself then, poor gipsy.
It run smoothly on highest and didn't have retarded artifacts of transmuting plants, even more retarded character models, even shittier animations and goddamn annoying and ugly depth of field.
I agree with the rest of your post, it's all shit in Arcania. Just not AS shit as in Risen 2. Play the full game to see it for yourself.

I wasn't defending Arcania, was comparing both games on the same level of shitty depths of crap. And Risen 2 is worse. As fuck.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Saying Arcania is a game better than anything, even Risen 2, is the epitome of tryharding.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Saying Risen 2 is a better game than anything, even Arcania, is epitome of tryharding.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Eh, I thought Risen 2 was simply mediocre. Meaning that whenever I get bored or have nothing else to play, I might play it a bit. Other than that, there's really no reason to play it.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
On my gtx570 it runs like gold.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And that's the issue -- it's hit and miss on modern cards due to the poor optimization. We're talking about a game released in 2010 that quite possibly predates your card. I'm not making this up just google it and you'll see a ton of complaints. Let's throw that aside, everything else I mentioned makes Arcania far far worse than Risen 2 and, yes, I can tell just from Risen 2's demo. If you played through even a few hours of Arcania you'll know how insultingly bad all of the other stuff I mentioned is from the writing to the quests to the world design, etc.

Risen 2 might be a bad game. But it's not Arcania. Sorry, but you're going to have to go force yourself to actually play Arcania if you want to use it as a metric to gauge other games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom