Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ruinous Powers (40K CYOA)

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Cheesecake, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    C>D

^ Top  
  2. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    C

^ Top  
  3. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    C>D

Considering Detox is the Apothecary taking care of Lena's baby and his health, it would be good to have him be in our good side.
    Besides, Brotox is cool. I miss when he was Lena's Big Bro.

^ Top  
  4. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    C

^ Top  
  5. Cheesecake Savant

Cheesecake
    Counting votes!

^ Top  
  6. Cheesecake Savant

Cheesecake
    Tally (open)

A: Kipeci, (hello friend), 1(2)
    B: ERYFKRAD, (Azira), 1(2)
    C: (ERYFKRAD), Azira, lightbane, hello friend, Endemic, Storyfag, Major_Blackhart, 6(7)
    D: (Kipeci), Grimgravy, Nevill, Endemic, (Storyfag), 3(5)
    E:

C. Talk to Detox, in regards to the population, breeding, and health of the human and mutant population.

You take the pus-ridden apothecary aside, after he double-checks the vitals and assigns monotask servitors to monitor the womb in his absence, to speak with him in your solar. You both lie on chaise longues, waited on by gilded slaves. Detox's chaise longue sinks at his weight.

"Yes, Lena?" he asks, in clear discomfort. The lights in your solar are blinding, the ambient music deafening, and the air is eternally perfumed with drug-laced incense.

"How does the Sodom fare, brother-"

"Do not call me that."

Your outward face is impassive, but within you bristle. "As you wish, apothecary." You sip mindlessly from a crystal chalice. "How fares the Sodom and my people?"

He scratches one of his calloused chins. "Poorly, in truth. Your blood sports are wreaking havoc on the population; the mutants cannot breed fast enough to replace the losses. And as much as it pleases me and the Plaguefather, your sports are vile and fetid, and those who survive don't survive for long. The gifts of Nurgle are rampant in the lower sections of the ship. I do not mind, though I think you would."

And you do. What a cruel fate, to be so callous to pain. To be blind to garishness, and deaf to cacophony. Those plagued are already lost, yet they may still spread their diseases to the rest of the ship.

You:

A. Have them rounded up and quarantined, penned in the gutters of the space-faring leviathan.
    B. Have them rounded up and killed, to prevent the virulent plague from spreading.
    C. Leave them be. It would not do, to harass your siblings, if you still call yourself a child of Nurgle.
    D. Something else:

As for the blood sports:

A. You leave them as they are. As Entek prophesies, the children of the victors are greater than those before them, and those after will be greater than they. They will grow resistant.
    B. Sanitize them. Many will be displeased with the reduction of brutality and gore, yet it is a necessary sacrifice.
    C. Abolish them altogether.
    D. Something else:

"As for the 'pure' humans under Hooker's command, they grow vainer by the second. She complains they skimp training, slithering away to smoke obscura or have their way with deformed beasts. Their decadence will be their demise."

You shake your head. "Their decadence is their worship." You turn away to eat a morsel of human flesh. "But, I will speak with Hooker on the matter."

----

"And how fares my son?"

He gives a familial smile, for the briefest of moments, before scowling again. "Well, Lena. Your child is strong, very strong. At this rate, he'll be fully matured within a standard Terran month." He produces a stained dataslate from his labcoat pocket. "He's pure of any mutation, any deformity. It's impossible, considering his father had four legs, and that he was conceived in Warp-transit."

You smile. "I have no doubt of his flawlessness," you boast.

The apothecary checks his timepiece. "I have little faith in those servitors. If it's alright with you, I'll return to the womb now."

"Very well, but bring up:"

A. Talk to Entek, in regards to the Sodom's machinery, the servitors and servo-skulls, and the armory.
    B. Talk to Hooker, in regards to the soldiers, training, and the policing of the Sodom.
    C. Talk to the Sorcerer, in regards to the future and the will of the gods.
    D. Talk with someone or do something else.

----

Character Sheet (open)

Name: Lena Cythriel, Exalted Champion

Gifts:
    Daemoniac Tongue
    Exalted
    Perfection
    Terrible Visage

Favor:
    Khorne - Hated
    Nurgle - Betrayed
    Tzeentch - Intrigued
    Slaanesh - Exalted

Malal - Amused

Known Characters:
    Detox, apothecary - Uncaring
    Hooker, sergeant - Devoted
    Entek, tech-priest - Indifferent
    Sorcerer - Devoted
    The Boy - Unknown

Tempestus, chaplain - Dead?
    The Captain - Dead

Forces:
    Cruiser Crew - 62,000? - Devoted

Items:
    Artificer Bodyglove
    Laspistol
    Synthesiser:
    *Stimms (All-purpose combat drugs, designed to suppress fear and lessen stress and trauma.) [ACTIVE]
    *Frenzon (Rage-inducing chemicals that throw the user into a violent fit. It bolsters strength, increases violent urges, and reduces self control.)
    *Kalma (Euphoria-inducing painkillers used by medicae to subdue restless patients. This automatically releases when the user is nearing dangerous levels of pain.)
    *Onslaught (Heightens awareness and improves reaction time, and allows the body to move abnormally fast. Prolonged use has a high risk of brain damage.)
    *Spook (Spook temporarily awakens the user's psychic abilities, and in higher doses opens a channel between the body, the soul, and the Warp. Requires consuming a psyker to manufacture.) [UNAVAILABLE]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    D: Quarantine them in escape pods or similar things from where we can launch them at our enemies if need be. I'm sure they'll be happy to spread the gifts of Papa Nurgle.
    D: Alter them. Make them either an honor for the worthiest crew members, or a punishment for the unworthy, where they can be assured of a clean death if they prevail against, with extreme handicaps.
    B.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    CAA
    Let Chaos run free. We need to repair our relations with Nurgle and Brotox. Anyway, the ones who survive the blood sports AND the plague will be nothing but the best of the best. The weak are expendable. Always expendable.

^ Top  
  9. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    We still needs bodies to run the ship yo.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    We'll just get more slaves or build robots. Maybe use artificial wombs to breed multiple offspring off our champion troops, use Detox's l337 g3|\|3 5k1LLZ to offset defects through inbreeding.

^ Top  
  11. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    C
    D: Alter them. Make them either an honor for the worthiest crew members, or a punishment for the unworthy, where they can be assured of a clean death if they prevail against, with extreme handicaps.
    B

^ Top  
  12. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    What ERYFKRAD said.

D: Quarantine them in escape pods or similar things from where we can launch them at our enemies if need be. I'm sure they'll be happy to spread the gifts of Papa Nurgle.
    B.

^ Top  
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    C
    B

Going with Grimgravy here.

Also having the Nurglites in the escape pods is a bad idea if we need to, you know, escape, and they get pissed at us putting them there. Cue Detox and cia escaping and leaving us to die.

Aaawww they still love each other :love:

And Uncle 'Tox loves his yet-to-be-born nephew

^ Top  
  14. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    It looks like we're getting a Space Marine/little Primarch-esque super-mutant as a son. Yay!

D: Have them rounded up and quarantined, penned in the gutters of the space-faring leviathan. However, spare some of the enemy prisoners you make for their entertainment. Allow them to join said battles as well by boarding torpedoes.
    D: Alter them. Make them either an honor for the worthiest crew members, or a punishment for the unworthy, where they can be assured of a clean death if they prevail against, with extreme handicaps. Nevertheless, make exceptions for important events such as important victories and the like. Naturally, should you be able to get some prisoners, the crew is allowed to play with these with no penalties.
    A. We need to gear up these killer-servitors. Slaaneshi troopers are too busy getting a grip to be able to fight.

^ Top  
  15. Storyfag Arcane

Storyfag
    This.

^ Top  
  16. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    CAA

^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Eh, not so much escape pods as anything that can be launched at the enemy. Besides, Papa Nurgle loves to share.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Cheesecake Savant

Cheesecake
    Counting votes!

^ Top  
  19. Cheesecake Savant

Cheesecake
    Tally (open)

A:
    B:
    C: hello friend, Grimgravy, The Brazilian Slaughter, Storyfag, Major_BLackhart, 5
    ERYFKRAD's D: ERYFKRAD, Endemic, 2
    lightbane's D: lightbane, 1

C. Leave them be. It would not do, to harass your siblings, if you still call yourself a child of Nurgle.

A: hello friend, Major_BLackhart, 2
    B:
    C:
    ERYFKRAD's D: ERYFKRAD, Endemic, 2
    Grimgravy's D: Grimgravy, The Brazilian Slaughter, Storyfag, 3
    lightbane's D: lightbane, 1

A: hello friend, lightbane, Major_BLackhart, 3
    B: ERYFKRAD, Grimgravy, Endemic, The Brazilian Slaughter, Storyfag, 5
    C:
    D:

B. Talk to Hooker, in regards to the soldiers, training, and the policing of the Sodom.

The pox-ridden degenerates are, by your command, not to be molested. Though many were unsure of your decision, most of whom were unwilling to embrace Nurgle's gifts, the plagued mutants keep to themselves, writhing and rotting in their dens in the deeps of the ship.

Detox might not have thanked you directly, but when you pass by him working on the arcane womb, you hear him hum a happy tune each time.

You arrive at Hooker's barracks by the time the Sodom had fully translated into Warpspace. The walls melt, doors vanish, and echoes speak words originally unspoken. The voices in your mind, in all the minds aboard the Sodom, grow from whispers to screams. It is a fine day for all.

From a balcony, you overlook Hooker drilling her men hard, and from the looks of it she is driving them into the ground. Down the range, she will not accept anything but a solid, center hit. In close-combat, the winner is allowed a brief rest, while the loser continues fighting his comrades one-by-one, until he wins or loses to the last fighter. Then, he is taken by a beastman, to do as the beast wills, much to his shame and to the joy of his squad.

You have your presence announced by a simpering slave. The whole barracks stand at attention, with Hooker at the forefront. You climb down the stairs from the balcony to greet her.

"We are honored, mistress."

You nod and smile, face still veiled behind ensorcelled silk. "Come, master-sergeant. Let's speak."

With a curt motion and a clipped command, Hooker sends her men back to training. The two of your go to Hooker's quarters: a spartan room, with the only decoration being a Chaos Star fashioned from melted-down bullets. She sleeps on a thin rag, with a thinner blanket. Her desk is plain and hard, and her chairs harder. Tucked in a corner is her chamberpot, with her sleeping robes folded neatly beside.

You simply must teach her the latest Slaaneshi fashions. Perhaps award her a slave or two, if she'd only accept.

You sit on one of Hooker's hard chairs, without a back or cushions. You clap your hands and summon your footstool. The broken man crawls under your feet.

"Would you like one, master-sergeant?" You clap your hands again, and another slave is ushered into the room.

She waves it off. "No, but thank you, Mistress." She drinks from a mug of recaf and offers you one. "What do you need of me?"

You take a sip. It is utterly disgusting, but almost everything is to you. "I'd like a report on the men, their training, and the policing of the Sodom."

"Of course, mistress." She takes out papers from neatly-organized files. "There are two hundred men under my command, excluding the mutant militia and non-combatants. They are Undivided, like I am."

Aboard the Sodom, the majority is tied for Slaaneshi and Undivided warriors. Khorne-worshippers are a smaller portion, making up most of the blood sport's volunteers. Nurglish mutants are either lurking in the deep fens, or Detox's apprentices. Only a handful Tzeentchian psykers are aboard, and hide with the Sorcerer. There is also a small Mechanicus cult revolving around Entek.

"The training is going well," she continues. "We're making progress every day."

As you saw from the training, you reply:

A. "I agree. Continue with your work, master-sergeant."
    B. "You go too hard on them. Lighten their load, and they'll be gladder to take the burden."
    C. "You should extend training to the mutant militia. I've witnessed their unruliness, but I have faith in you."
    D. "You go too easy on them. Work them all to death, and let the gods find their favored."
    E. Say something else.

"As for policing, the mutants don't care for it. They do as they please, like the animals they are. We can only solve the problems they cause, not prevent them. I assign soldiers to guard duty as punishment, even."

You reply:

A. "Assign more men, then. The wretches respect strength. Show them yours."
    B. "Assign less men, then. It isn't worth the danger to our fighting force. Let's keep infighting to the blood sports."
    C. "Conscript mutants to the guard force. Chain them, train them, use them like work animals. They will behold the price of disobedience."
    D. "Replace your guards with servitors. Entek won't be happy, but he never is."
    E. Say something else.

You chew on a morsel of mutant flesh to quell the abiding hunger. "I also wanted to ask you about the blood sports."

"Do you want to host one, mistress?"

You shake your head, face unveiled. Hooker is one of the few worthy to view you. "I spoke to the apothecary. The sports take their toll on the Sodom, and we need to change it."

"What do you suggest?"

"Alter them. Make them either an honor for the worthiest crew members, or a punishment for the unworthy, where the wretches can be assured a clean death if they prevail against their would-be killers, with extreme handicaps of course."

"I'll keep that in mind for the next games." She finishes her recaf. "Anything else, mistress?"

You shake your head, kick your footstool away, and veil your face once more. "That's all, master-sergeant."

You leave the barracks, intending to:

A. Talk to Entek, in regards to the Sodom's machinery, the servitors and servo-skulls, and the armory.
    B. Talk to the Sorcerer, in regards to the future and the will of the gods.
    C. Talk with someone or do something else.

You have time enough to meet with one of them properly until you arrive near Arcturus IV.

----

Character Sheet (open)

Name: Lena Cythriel, Exalted Champion

Gifts:
    Daemoniac Tongue
    Exalted
    Perfection
    Terrible Visage

Favor:
    Khorne - Hated
    Nurgle - Uncaring
    Tzeentch - Intrigued
    Slaanesh - Exalted

Malal - Amused

Known Characters:
    Detox, apothecary - Caring
    Hooker, sergeant - Devoted
    Entek, tech-priest - Indifferent
    Sorcerer - Devoted
    The Boy - Unknown

Tempestus, chaplain - Dead?
    The Captain - Dead

Forces:
    Cruiser Crew - 62,000? - Devoted

Items:
    Artificer Bodyglove
    Laspistol
    Synthesiser:
    *Stimms (All-purpose combat drugs, designed to suppress fear and lessen stress and trauma.) [ACTIVE]
    *Frenzon (Rage-inducing chemicals that throw the user into a violent fit. It bolsters strength, increases violent urges, and reduces self control.)
    *Kalma (Euphoria-inducing painkillers used by medicae to subdue restless patients. This automatically releases when the user is nearing dangerous levels of pain.)
    *Onslaught (Heightens awareness and improves reaction time, and allows the body to move abnormally fast. Prolonged use has a high risk of brain damage.)
    *Spook (Spook temporarily awakens the user's psychic abilities, and in higher doses opens a channel between the body, the soul, and the Warp. Requires consuming a psyker to manufacture.) [UNAVAILABLE]

EDITED: Character sheet's relations.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    CCB

^ Top  
  21. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
  22. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    C. "You should extend training to the mutant militia. I've witnessed their unruliness, but I have faith in you."
    C. "Conscript mutants to the guard force. Chain them, train them, use them like work animals. They will behold the price of disobedience."

We need to have the guy who keeps our shit running happy. Also, good update, Cheesecake! Can't wait to see how everything goes to hell and back.

^ Top  
  23. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I like having an elite core of undivided. The mutants are fodder and should remain so. They'll only bring the undivided down and infect them.

ACB

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    ACA

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    ACB

Hooker's Men should be our core cadre of disciplined fighters. The mutants are fodder and they're made for such.

I feel we need to talk to The Sorceror, to know the portends of the future and the will of the Gods. But Entek is fine too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)