Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Scroll of Taiwu, a Chinese Wuxia Simulator / Roguelike RPG

Interested in this?

• Yes!

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • NO!

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • We'll see...

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • decline

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

jf8350143

Liturgist
Well it didn't sell one million copies for no reason. It's a pretty interesting game and provide lots of freedom for your characters, including some bizarre one.

For example there is both all female faction and all male faction. However there are feats that let you play as a female looking male and male looking female. So you can still get into those factions even your gender didn't meet their requirement.
You can get every female in that faction pregnant, it fucks up your (and the NPC's ) reputation though.

Drowed

Arcane
And even then a fuckload is going to lose in translation.

I don't disagree with this, but this idea is true for the overwhelming majority of translations, even those that aren't characterized by having a particularly different style of writing. Reading Hamlet in the "original" and in a translation are two completely different experiences, that many people might even question whether it's really the same book - and that feeling was repeated in literally all the books I had the opportunity to read in 2 languages.

This is because in fact, every translation is a modification. Any word in English has a certain meaning, but the closest word equivalent in, say, Portuguese, has a somewhat different meaning. Sometimes a word has a more offensive connotation in one language than in another, and sometimes it has a double (or even triple) meaning that simply doesn't exist in another language, and there are times that there isn't even an equivalent word at all. And here we aren't even talking about culture yet - the weight and ideas that certain words or expressions carry that simply cannot be translated because they only make sense to those who are part of the same culture of the writer. There are a number of ideas, contexts, and presuppositions that emerge behind even ordinary day-to-day conversations, let alone in a well-written book.

That sort of thing doesn't seem so alien or distant when we speak about English texts precisely because the American culture has spread all over the world. Movies, music, books and everything else - virtually everyone in the world has had some exposure to it, so certain ideas are more easily absorbed by the global audience. The same, however, isn't true when we speak of certain cultures and languages, but this is only a matter of habit and exposure.

The first myth that needs to be deconstructed is that there is a way of doing a translation of a text without there being an adaptation of the content. That doesn't exist. Every translation is a new version, it's an adaptation, it's something that will be rewritten for a new audience. And in this process you will have to decide what you will sacrifice, what kind of content you will have to change, how you will write the text to try to keep the tone of the dialogue without greatly modifying the content, and so on. But this isnt a peculiarity of Wuxia texts/books/whatever, this is a natural part of the translation process. Wuxia certainly has its own particularities, no doubt about it, but fans of the genre underestimate how true this is also true for the vast majority of texts that exist everywhere.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And in this process you will have to decide what you will sacrifice, what kind of content you will have to change, how you will write the text to try to keep the tone of the dialogue without greatly modifying the content, and so on.
And to understand any of that while translating, you also have to speak both languages extremely well.
Which is probably why really good translations are so rare...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'll post a review of it when I get a chance to, the degree of freedom in the game is pretty mind boggling. Also, I think people are overselling the translation issue. This isn't a storyfag game. It's like a cross between dwarf fortress and elder scrolls with wuxia flavour. I'm in it for the mechanics.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To any Chinese speaking people (do we have any? BING XI LAO? Jason Liang? ): What is the language level on this game? Would this be suited for Chinese noobs for further study?
Since I'm learning (probably at HSK1 by now), I'm looking for games that would be good learning material.

Looking at the screens, it seems this might be a nice game to do that with. While there is a lot of text, it is mostly small snippets, relatively quick to look up.

jf8350143

Liturgist
To any Chinese speaking people (do we have any? BING XI LAO? Jason Liang? ): What is the language level on this game? Would this be suited for Chinese noobs for further study?
Since I'm learning (probably at HSK1 by now), I'm looking for games that would be good learning material.

Looking at the screens, it seems this might be a nice game to do that with. While there is a lot of text, it is mostly small snippets, relatively quick to look up.

Not really a good material to start with, but you can always try it.

Deleted Member 16721

This looks interesting af. I'll get it when I'm done with Kenshi and apply the English translation. Seems like another dream game similar to Kenshi.

Damned Registrations

Alright you fucks I took some screenshots and wrote some shit so it's time for some INCLINE :yeah:

Here are some of the 76,000 ways in which this game is awesome and you should buy it and play it:
387668D37DCE03A5C78725CB403F7DE331074692

At the begining of each month, a bunch of things happen. Some resources get replenished or grow depending on the season, the NPCs (of which there are hundreds... perhaps even a few thousand?) get updated in their position and status, and things happen to you personally, like people giving you things, poisoning you, or, more often than not, begging you for shit even though they outrank you immensely and can easily afford this stupid medicine.

A7D48796BCE8C913B9C63763D1E21339E0472E6A

Look at the stats on this old bitch! She's an elder in the sect, and actually a relatively weak one all things considered. But she really is on the verge of death, with only 1 of 3 health remaining. Health isn't the stat that declines in combat, it's your actual lifeline, and some characters have very small caps, especially old or weak ones. Generally you lose health because of have wounds or poison or a severe breath disorder outstanding at the end of the month. But a strong character might have 30 health, so they can be beaten unconscious by bandits and still live for several months with their guts hanging out before they can find or afford a way to heal their injuries. Also, this old cunt has a terrible reputation (rebels tend to since they do evil shit constantly) so giving her the cheapass medicine will lower my own reputation. So fuck her. Hope you memorized all those different stats for the quiz at the end. Moving on!

D9582678482169C9F09D59EE2501F5775C6DF5DF

This is the inventory screen, an example of an item, and the wounds tab selected on the right hand side instead of the stats tab. Yeah, there are 6 different types of poison and subtabs for bodyparts under the injuries since you might end up suffering dozens of them and prefer to have your torso healed over your limbs due to mechanics of some skills or having better armour on your body than your head, etc. How do the toxins work? In a ridiculously complex way where, after being built up beyond your resistance to that particular toxin, they can be triggered during combat by something specific to that toxin type, like attacking, moving, or trying to cure toxins. After being triggered they do something unique to that toxin type and create more toxin of another type in a closed 3 part loop. So it's pretty strong, potentially. I used it to win an hour long fight against a demon with 8 hearts I found at the end of a dungeon. I won't be covering dungeons though, they're too complex to get into. Just the simple things.

A29107148D0A05F4F703C98FD6F890A788F98443

This is the talent page for artistries, skills, and arts. The seven furthest to the right all let you craft things, and potentially upgrade them as well by salvaging parts from recyled other items, oh and you can of course envenom your armour, which will be very effective against people using ranged weapons at you while you can't fight back. The other 9 skills unlock buildings, which do boring things like earn you money, prestige, create elixers of youth and help preserve your soul beyond death. Also all of these skills can be used as stat requirements for skills or equipment, and are also used in non-violent competitions, in case you wanted to impress some children without beating them to a pulp.

F23D7483DBBBBFA58313222FA348C8078B33DC8B

Here's part of the skills page. Not related to the previous, non combat skills. These are the ones you slot into your character and do things in combat. Some are active, some are passive, some are defensive, some are movement modifiers, some consume movement to attack. Oh, and the inner arts, obviously, increase your internal 5 element energy, which you allocate to your four different forces, which grant bonuses to offense, movement, defense, and breath control. The breath control apparently helps resist status effects in battle, it's hard to quantify vs the others, but it's also used to passively recover from breath disorders. Some skills also get additional passive effects depending on your understanding of them, as opposed to your practical knowledge. Orthodox understandings grant slightly different passives than the heterodox understandings of the same skill. Or you can split the difference and give up both effects in exchange for a more stat based benefit relating to the efficiency of the move, by lowering it's requirements and increasing the cap of the requirements' effect on the skill. Oh, and don't unbalance your energy in the wrong way- focusing on water, wood and fire element will make wood and fire very powerful, but if wood and metal are your first and second most powerful elements far ahead of the others, you'll be put into a crippling state and suffer massive injuries. But that's obvious.

DF0F346EBCCFDF7823DAEE4046A59731A72E9ED7

Oh yeah, here's the social screen. This one is boring since my last incarnation got merked by a squad of assassin on behalf of some possessed asshole I finished off. So this guy hasn't mad any new friends yet really. And since she was a refugee, she didn't have all the usual connections most npcs have. First time I passed on the inheritor had a wife and kid I didn't even know about. Obviously this can get pretty complex if you stay alive for more than a few years. Relationships can be very powerful in this game, my first incarnation cozied up to a sect leader and he regularly gifted me huge amounts of money and rare items and skill books while I was hanging out at the sect and training. I also made a doctor my sworn borther and he followed me around without being in my party and often just randomly healed me. Merchants and doctors are great for that sort of thing. Of course, people in your party tend to accrue relationship with you over time, which can also be a great way to learn skills instead of currying favour with the sects or looting the books off bandits or spying on people or robbing weaklings or fighting looting the good guys who become your enemy after doing the things I just mentioned.

7C5E63D4D4B3FEB7A8EF063F2D34CC0C17766A42

All that mostly happens on the map of course, which is broken up into tiles. How many tiles? I dunno, I estimated around 30-40 on a side, so somewhere in the 1-2 thousand range. They have different terrain types with predilictions for certain types of resources of course, and the towns and dungeons and random events like merchant caravans and cricket hunts occur. There are only 3 towns on a map, including the sect. Those three icons in the bottom don't correspond to them though, they correspond to the three maps within each region, of which there is one for each sect, for a total of 45 maps. Hopefully the RNG put the sect hub near a travel station so you don't have to spend and extra month hoofing it every time your travel there, since travelling between maps already takes quite a while.

F95367BC4689992D1BFB1F0C727EB47511FF0B21

This is the main reason you want to travel to the sects, at least in the early game where I'm at. Lots of skills to learn, and you can see most of them ahead of time to plan your education, instead of having a ton of random shit. Accruing approval with the sect can be done in 4 different ways, and some ways are easier than others with each sect, since they correspond to the natures. The extreme natures like to fight, but you can also pay some people off or befriend them. Also, joining some sects have requirements. Assassin sect doesn't want your pansy ass fucking with their hardcore rep, so you might need to abduct some children, poison a few people, or just generally be an ass for a long time. The themes of the sects are pretty important, so it's a good idea to pick a good match. Joining the poison sect when you have no talents in that area can be a big waste of time, while a character with a lot of talent in that area but no knowledge yet can acquire the books there and the martial arts will be stronger for them as well. Of course, this applies to your heir as well. You can be fucked pretty hard if you specialized really hard into one area and your heir has no talent there, even if the knowledge does carry over. Of course, that can be a good excuse to branch out elsewhere. Unless your heir was just a worthless shithead.

50C782A7C79A064380F8B66F2B0995D48370C930

Fortunately, even worthless shitheads can wander around and gather resources, which is very time consuming, much like developing your village. You obviously get your own village. This isn't mine, it was far away when I decided to write this up. Mine has blackjack. No hookers yet. Also most of the villagers died since I didn't hang around to give them medicine or recruit a doctor or build a hospital. Anyways, you don't need to focus on your village, since all the sects have training rooms and crafting/training rooms for the specific arts they specialize in. Training is, of course, very simple.

6600F03B718A67991BC27FE3A92578C5B57FC5CE

This is one of the three parts of the training process, where you play a minigame to perform a potentially deadly breakthrough to gain practice in a martial art or skill. Breakthroughs are only necessary to get past specific points- you can get up to 50% of the lowest grade skills without doing one, for example. However, breakthroughs are also generally the most time efficient way of gaining practice in a single skill, if you do them well and play a bit risky. Overextending your efforts can give you huge returns, which is especially tempting on high level skils that cost a lot of xp to train, doubly so if you get a potentially lucrative board that especially rewards over extending and injuring yourself. Of course, you also need to read the books to gain knowledge, which has it's own minigame and some related stats and buildings, and the books themselves have their own stats, so browsing around amoung the disciples for the right book to research a particular martial art or mundane skill can be worthwhile.

2AB0BF85A22DDC79CEEC0AB461488B9A999F877A

This is like that first screen except we're bothering an npc instead of the other way around. This is of course just a sub option, showing 6 of the 25 options I have with this specific npc. More options are available with partuclar people like sect leaders or town mayors or doctors, or if you have created a specific kind of relationship with that npc by wearing certain clothing (like pedlar, merchant, civilian, fighter, doctor, beggar, hunter, etc.) and interacting with them repeatedly to unlock certain options, some of which only work on specific npcs (like the fighter persona can do a performance in town to gain money and xp, but only with the permission of high level officials in that town) and other kinds of interactions like adopting children if you're middle aged, getting married, recommending your allies to be inducted into a clan, and so forth.

AAC8FD58CA77794019F31F7C0EABD107896AA330

Oh year, this game has combat too. This is the pre combat screen, which lets you set up things before the combat starts, in case you want to change your equipment. You can equip martial art manuals to train them a bit if you win the fight in case you don't want to or can't read them in the training room. You also get to view your opponent's stats before hand, so you can change to gear with a different type of poison or something that attacks or defend something effectively in the fight. Also you can use a consumable before the fight like that fucker is, and there are 5 special options before the fight that give you small up front advantages like starting in melee instead of ranged or with a full focus bar.

E2137E43CEA3476480DF5F8E8371D5580373EE5A

This part is self explanatory.

Deleted Member 16721

Damned Registrations So the game is fully playable in English then, and you won't miss any content with the translation patch? This game looks *incredible*. Will be my next game after 1000 hours or so with Kenshi, for sure.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Alright you fucks I took some screenshots and wrote some shit so it's time for some INCLINE :yeah:

Here are some of the 76,000 ways in which this game is awesome and you should buy it and play it:
387668D37DCE03A5C78725CB403F7DE331074692

At the begining of each month, a bunch of things happen. Some resources get replenished or grow depending on the season, the NPCs (of which there are hundreds... perhaps even a few thousand?) get updated in their position and status, and things happen to you personally, like people giving you things, poisoning you, or, more often than not, begging you for shit even though they outrank you immensely and can easily afford this stupid medicine.

A7D48796BCE8C913B9C63763D1E21339E0472E6A

Look at the stats on this old bitch! She's an elder in the sect, and actually a relatively weak one all things considered. But she really is on the verge of death, with only 1 of 3 health remaining. Health isn't the stat that declines in combat, it's your actual lifeline, and some characters have very small caps, especially old or weak ones. Generally you lose health because of have wounds or poison or a severe breath disorder outstanding at the end of the month. But a strong character might have 30 health, so they can be beaten unconscious by bandits and still live for several months with their guts hanging out before they can find or afford a way to heal their injuries. Also, this old cunt has a terrible reputation (rebels tend to since they do evil shit constantly) so giving her the cheapass medicine will lower my own reputation. So fuck her. Hope you memorized all those different stats for the quiz at the end. Moving on!

D9582678482169C9F09D59EE2501F5775C6DF5DF

This is the inventory screen, an example of an item, and the wounds tab selected on the right hand side instead of the stats tab. Yeah, there are 6 different types of poison and subtabs for bodyparts under the injuries since you might end up suffering dozens of them and prefer to have your torso healed over your limbs due to mechanics of some skills or having better armour on your body than your head, etc. How do the toxins work? In a ridiculously complex way where, after being built up beyond your resistance to that particular toxin, they can be triggered during combat by something specific to that toxin type, like attacking, moving, or trying to cure toxins. After being triggered they do something unique to that toxin type and create more toxin of another type in a closed 3 part loop. So it's pretty strong, potentially. I used it to win an hour long fight against a demon with 8 hearts I found at the end of a dungeon. I won't be covering dungeons though, they're too complex to get into. Just the simple things.

A29107148D0A05F4F703C98FD6F890A788F98443

This is the talent page for artistries, skills, and arts. The seven furthest to the right all let you craft things, and potentially upgrade them as well by salvaging parts from recyled other items, oh and you can of course envenom your armour, which will be very effective against people using ranged weapons at you while you can't fight back. The other 9 skills unlock buildings, which do boring things like earn you money, prestige, create elixers of youth and help preserve your soul beyond death. Also all of these skills can be used as stat requirements for skills or equipment, and are also used in non-violent competitions, in case you wanted to impress some children without beating them to a pulp.

F23D7483DBBBBFA58313222FA348C8078B33DC8B

Here's part of the skills page. Not related to the previous, non combat skills. These are the ones you slot into your character and do things in combat. Some are active, some are passive, some are defensive, some are movement modifiers, some consume movement to attack. Oh, and the inner arts, obviously, increase your internal 5 element energy, which you allocate to your four different forces, which grant bonuses to offense, movement, defense, and breath control. The breath control apparently helps resist status effects in battle, it's hard to quantify vs the others, but it's also used to passively recover from breath disorders. Some skills also get additional passive effects depending on your understanding of them, as opposed to your practical knowledge. Orthodox understandings grant slightly different passives than the heterodox understandings of the same skill. Or you can split the difference and give up both effects in exchange for a more stat based benefit relating to the efficiency of the move, by lowering it's requirements and increasing the cap of the requirements' effect on the skill. Oh, and don't unbalance your energy in the wrong way- focusing on water, wood and fire element will make wood and fire very powerful, but if wood and metal are your first and second most powerful elements far ahead of the others, you'll be put into a crippling state and suffer massive injuries. But that's obvious.

DF0F346EBCCFDF7823DAEE4046A59731A72E9ED7

Oh yeah, here's the social screen. This one is boring since my last incarnation got merked by a squad of assassin on behalf of some possessed asshole I finished off. So this guy hasn't mad any new friends yet really. And since she was a refugee, she didn't have all the usual connections most npcs have. First time I passed on the inheritor had a wife and kid I didn't even know about. Obviously this can get pretty complex if you stay alive for more than a few years. Relationships can be very powerful in this game, my first incarnation cozied up to a sect leader and he regularly gifted me huge amounts of money and rare items and skill books while I was hanging out at the sect and training. I also made a doctor my sworn borther and he followed me around without being in my party and often just randomly healed me. Merchants and doctors are great for that sort of thing. Of course, people in your party tend to accrue relationship with you over time, which can also be a great way to learn skills instead of currying favour with the sects or looting the books off bandits or spying on people or robbing weaklings or fighting looting the good guys who become your enemy after doing the things I just mentioned.

7C5E63D4D4B3FEB7A8EF063F2D34CC0C17766A42

All that mostly happens on the map of course, which is broken up into tiles. How many tiles? I dunno, I estimated around 30-40 on a side, so somewhere in the 1-2 thousand range. They have different terrain types with predilictions for certain types of resources of course, and the towns and dungeons and random events like merchant caravans and cricket hunts occur. There are only 3 towns on a map, including the sect. Those three icons in the bottom don't correspond to them though, they correspond to the three maps within each region, of which there is one for each sect, for a total of 45 maps. Hopefully the RNG put the sect hub near a travel station so you don't have to spend and extra month hoofing it every time your travel there, since travelling between maps already takes quite a while.

F95367BC4689992D1BFB1F0C727EB47511FF0B21

This is the main reason you want to travel to the sects, at least in the early game where I'm at. Lots of skills to learn, and you can see most of them ahead of time to plan your education, instead of having a ton of random shit. Accruing approval with the sect can be done in 4 different ways, and some ways are easier than others with each sect, since they correspond to the natures. The extreme natures like to fight, but you can also pay some people off or befriend them. Also, joining some sects have requirements. Assassin sect doesn't want your pansy ass fucking with their hardcore rep, so you might need to abduct some children, poison a few people, or just generally be an ass for a long time. The themes of the sects are pretty important, so it's a good idea to pick a good match. Joining the poison sect when you have no talents in that area can be a big waste of time, while a character with a lot of talent in that area but no knowledge yet can acquire the books there and the martial arts will be stronger for them as well. Of course, this applies to your heir as well. You can be fucked pretty hard if you specialized really hard into one area and your heir has no talent there, even if the knowledge does carry over. Of course, that can be a good excuse to branch out elsewhere. Unless your heir was just a worthless shithead.

50C782A7C79A064380F8B66F2B0995D48370C930

Fortunately, even worthless shitheads can wander around and gather resources, which is very time consuming, much like developing your village. You obviously get your own village. This isn't mine, it was far away when I decided to write this up. Mine has blackjack. No hookers yet. Also most of the villagers died since I didn't hang around to give them medicine or recruit a doctor or build a hospital. Anyways, you don't need to focus on your village, since all the sects have training rooms and crafting/training rooms for the specific arts they specialize in. Training is, of course, very simple.

6600F03B718A67991BC27FE3A92578C5B57FC5CE

This is one of the three parts of the training process, where you play a minigame to perform a potentially deadly breakthrough to gain practice in a martial art or skill. Breakthroughs are only necessary to get past specific points- you can get up to 50% of the lowest grade skills without doing one, for example. However, breakthroughs are also generally the most time efficient way of gaining practice in a single skill, if you do them well and play a bit risky. Overextending your efforts can give you huge returns, which is especially tempting on high level skils that cost a lot of xp to train, doubly so if you get a potentially lucrative board that especially rewards over extending and injuring yourself. Of course, you also need to read the books to gain knowledge, which has it's own minigame and some related stats and buildings, and the books themselves have their own stats, so browsing around amoung the disciples for the right book to research a particular martial art or mundane skill can be worthwhile.

2AB0BF85A22DDC79CEEC0AB461488B9A999F877A

This is like that first screen except we're bothering an npc instead of the other way around. This is of course just a sub option, showing 6 of the 25 options I have with this specific npc. More options are available with partuclar people like sect leaders or town mayors or doctors, or if you have created a specific kind of relationship with that npc by wearing certain clothing (like pedlar, merchant, civilian, fighter, doctor, beggar, hunter, etc.) and interacting with them repeatedly to unlock certain options, some of which only work on specific npcs (like the fighter persona can do a performance in town to gain money and xp, but only with the permission of high level officials in that town) and other kinds of interactions like adopting children if you're middle aged, getting married, recommending your allies to be inducted into a clan, and so forth.

AAC8FD58CA77794019F31F7C0EABD107896AA330

Oh year, this game has combat too. This is the pre combat screen, which lets you set up things before the combat starts, in case you want to change your equipment. You can equip martial art manuals to train them a bit if you win the fight in case you don't want to or can't read them in the training room. You also get to view your opponent's stats before hand, so you can change to gear with a different type of poison or something that attacks or defend something effectively in the fight. Also you can use a consumable before the fight like that fucker is, and there are 5 special options before the fight that give you small up front advantages like starting in melee instead of ranged or with a full focus bar.

E2137E43CEA3476480DF5F8E8371D5580373EE5A

This part is self explanatory.
too much words!
make a point then sell it.
also too much pictures.

"At the begining of each month, a bunch of things happen. Some resources get replenished or grow depending on the season, the NPCs (of which there are hundreds... perhaps even a few thousand?) get updated in their position and status, and things happen to you personally, like people giving you things, poisoning you, or, more often than not, begging you for shit even though they outrank you immensely and can easily afford this stupid medicine."
so what? am i supposed to be impressed? disappointed? happy? sad? is it good? is it bad? must i care for the npcs? are they unique? can i recruit them? do they have quests?
please, some structure!

Damned Registrations

Damned Registrations So the game is fully playable in English then, and you won't miss any content with the translation patch? This game looks *incredible*. Will be my next game after 1000 hours or so with Kenshi, for sure.
A bunch of the item names aren't translated, which makes crafting a sort of crapshoot in some regards since you don't know the stats of what you're crafting, only the name. The items not being translated is also annoying if they get gifted or stolen and you're not sure which item it was, though they're at least color coded for rarity tier. A bunch of stuff is badly translated, like the tooltips describing how poison works don't make much sense for example. And a bunch of UI elements you saw aren't translated yet either, which again, makes things confusing. But all the important NPC dialogue I've seen has been translated, and the minor dialogue at the very least has some placeholder stuff (when you aimlessly chat with an npc for relation you get a literal 'blahblahandthenthisandthatfuckyou' if your outlooks differ, for example.) But mechanically, I haven't hit any walls so far. I understand what I'm buying, what people want me to do, what my objectives are, and so forth. I had a small mini quest kind of thing happen the third time I started a new character which involved me saving a dude and later meeting up with him and him being super grateful, and it was all translated. Also, the translation is progressing quite fast. Just in the last week the consumable healing items got translated, for example, along with some proofreading stuff. There's a german guy doing a lets play of it up on youtube if you want some video/understand german.

There isn't much in the way of quests or random events in the game so far, it's much more of a sandbox/sim type of deal. I suspect that is largely what is being worked on by the devs right now, because I can't imagine them adding much more in the way of items places or skills. I mean, they could, but it's already insanely dense in that regard. Right now I'm more than happy just trying to amass power, as there are about a dozen different avenues I can focus on in that regard and I've no idea which is the best route. I could spend 3 years in game just gathering resources and crafting equipment, or using the resources to upgrade my village, or spend the time befriending and recruiting npcs, or spend it going to dungeons and fighting random enemies for loot and xp, or spend the time training skills I've learned already, or learning skills from my library of decayed books, or spend it accrueing favour with a sect to get access to their skills and make it easier to learn their skills or focus on learning the non combat skills, or spend it searching for ideal party members and potential heirs to recruit... they all seem like valid approaches. I've spent the bulk of my time so far trying to get my internal energy levels balanced and over 100 and just recently reached that goal, which has it's own benefits. And while doing that stuff you have sub concerns and goals, like whether you'd rather have better reputation (which influences inital relation with npcs when you meet them) or sacrifice that to befriend a bunch of thugs like the bitch at the top of my post. And if you're recruiting people, do you recruit assholes who'll fuck with you and eachother or only recruit nice people even if they've got shittier qualifications? I've also severely neglected cleaning up the bad guys that have been spawning and roaming around, and they've made a large swathe of the world pretty fucked up compared to the still pristine part where the meanest enemies are beggars. So that's another potential goal.

Deleted Member 16721

I just hope they do an official English translation. I want it all translated.

btbgfel

Scholar
This game has some serious EVIL ways to play. Not many games allow player to kidnap children, then force their parents vow to give up revenge using player character's high public reputation, or transfer damage received to children kidnapped to survive. Though PC with too many evil actions risk being possessed by the devil, becoming a world boss relentlessly hunting your next char.

Translation will be DIFFICULT. All terms(including foods,books,martial art names, equipments, dozens of diffrent crickets etc.) used in the game come from ancient chinese literatures -- Guiguzi, Tiangong Kaiwu, Cuzhijing, Baopuzi ...

jf8350143

Liturgist
Back to last November or October(can't remember exacctly) the devs say that most of the features are already in the game, they will mostly add stories parts, including more random events and such, and the game is 60% complete.

However, in an interveiw in late December, he said that the game is only 33% complete, because "we sell tons of copies so I think we should add more into the game to make it better." Also he is still working on the all the different features of the game, and didn't really add many stories into it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And to understand any of that while translating, you also have to speak both languages extremely well.

It's not just language skills, a good "translation" requires the translator to be a skilled if not talented writer too.

That's why nothing beats the original version, except in rare occasions where the translator is far more skilled than the original author and turns water into wine.

Drowed

Arcane

It's not just language skills, a good "translation" requires the translator to be a skilled if not talented writer too.

That's why nothing beats the original version, except in rare occasions where the translator is far more skilled than the original author and turns water into wine.

I fully agree with both of you. I've always believed that a good translation is something analogous to a cover of a song. There is a general idea, a melody, a rhythm and a concept behind it, but essentially what we have is a new version of the same content that will have the specific characteristics of who is doing the translation/song. Sometimes the result is worse, others times it's better, but in all of them the result is different. It wouldn't be wrong to say that from a certain point of view, it's a new work, different from the original.

This was a discovery that affected me a lot when I began to understand English better. Like many RPG fans who didn't understand English very well as teenagers, I played a lot of games using fan translations when available. If many RPGs seem to be written by 17 year olds, I can say that most translations seem to have been written by children, dear god. Playing the games in their original language made a huge difference. That is, until one day I noticed: if this is true when we talk about games, then what about books? Book translations are done by professionals, I thought, so they shouldn't be that different. Well, the innocence of youth is sometimes shocking/embarrassing.

The point is, translations will change the original content. But that doesn't mean that it isn't worth doing it. The result will certainly be different, but sometimes a conver can be very enjoyable even if it's not exactly like the original.

Deleted Member 16721

Please keep us updated on the translation, when it hits 100%. Even if it's not perfect, as long as it is all in English, and readable, I'd be fine with that.

Deleted Member 16721

Surprised more people aren't talking about this (and Kenshi.) This looks superb. Tell me, is the English translation really making the game 100% playable? It seems you'd need to know item names and what they do if you're going to be good at the game. On a scale from 1/100, how good is the translation and how playable is the game precisely?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I might not be talking about it, but it has been on my wishlist for quite some time. I’m getting it when it’s finished.

Deleted Member 16721

Same here Abu Antar , for sure. It's definitely my next purchase when the translation is 100%, even if some of it is a bit rough, at least it will all be there.

Jinn

Arcane
No one is talking about it because they are waiting for the game to be finished both gameplay and localization-wise. Not very surprising. Also, it's a Chinese game in GRPG. Most people on the codex probably would never click on this thread just because of that.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, just waiting on that localization and I'm in. Don't care if it's Chinese or what, it seems like a great game that I'd have a lot of fun with. We need more of these creative projects.

Deleted Member 16721

Any update on the localization attempts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom