Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The search for Beneath a Steel Sky's creator, Dave Cummins (RIP)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It would be better if BASS 2 was never funded, since it's obvious Dave Cummins wont be involved and thus it's going to be another Cecil derp-fest.

BASS and BS1 were great because the writing was great (especially in BASS) and Cummins was the lead writer in those two. Cecil took the writing seat in BS3 and 4 and this resulted to juvenile nonsense and retarded humor.

kaizoku

Arcane
On the related posts
Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered about to hit 20K sold for iPhone

Well, you can play the original on the a mobile device so...

The real problem is the absence of Dave Cummins.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
I'm wondering if anyone can get a hold of Cummins, not just to clear this up but to get a hold of the stories for BASS 1 & 2, it'd make a good Codex retrospective.

circ

Arcane
Of course it's blackmail, seriously? I couldn't care less about BS, a cheap Gabriel Knight clone with sub-par graphic work, but Beneath A Steel Sky, oh man, I just grabbed that the other day for a replay eventually. They're just trying to get the SS fans too with a suckerpunch to nostalgia.

made

Arcane
BASS and BS1 were great because the writing was great (especially in BASS) and Cummins was the lead writer in those two.
Infinitron's post states that Cummins left Revolution shortly after the release of BASS "under mysterious circumstances" and he doesn't appear anywhere in the credits for BS. So which is it?

I like that version more because personally I hate BS1 and everything they put out since, so blaming it all on Cecil makes perfect sense.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron's post states that Cummins left Revolution shortly after the release of BASS "under mysterious circumstances" and he doesn't appear anywhere in the credits for BS. So which is it?

I like that version more because personally I hate BS1 and everything they put out since, so blaming it all on Cecil makes perfect sense.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/circle-of-blood/credits

He left during the development of BS2:

http://pc.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,6901/

An update in the matter, for those of you still keeping up:

I wrote to Charles Cecil yesterday after seeing this tweet: http://twitter.com/CharlesCecil/status/249904145870516224 -- and apologized for what was a knee-jerk reaction to something precious to me seemingly being exploited for cynical gains.

It seemed fairly obvious, from the tweet and his subsequent e-mail reply, that he would very much like to reconnect with Dave Cummins and have his input on Steel Sky 2, if it were possible to track him down. Dave Gibbons, the artist on Steel Sky 1, is already interested in moving forward, and Cecil's mail made it clear that they wish to stay very faithful to the tone and style of the original game. Having Cummins on board in some capacity or other would surely ensure that.

Trouble is, Cecil has no idea where Cummins is, either. It's like he's disappeared off the planet. I did a little search yesterday, and there is a Dave Cummins living in Kingston-Upon-Hull (where Revolution were based at the time of BASS), but I doubt very much it's the same guy -- and there was no e-mail or address along with the name. I even tried e-mailing a few people on Soundcloud named Dave Cummins, knowing that Cummins was a musician on BASS and probably still dabbled in music, but no one has replied (and that was really a long-shot, anyway).

Speaking of long-shots, I wrote what may be the longest shot in the history of the world -- an open letter to Cummins: http://pleimert.tumblr.com/post/32340489961/whereisdavecummins

So, to sum up: Charles Cecil would really like to work with Dave Cummins on Steel Sky 2. Barring that, Charles just wants to reconnect with him. Barring THAT, Charles just wants to know if the dude's still alive somewhere -- even if Dave doesn't want to talk to him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Troels Pleimert
Have you tried contacting other fans who may have had contact with Cummins in the past? Surely you're not the only one.

made

Arcane
Tracking down Dave Cummins - sounds like the start of a great adventure irl. First step: plane tickets to Kingston-Upon-Hull!

Tracking down Dave Cummins - sounds like the start of a great adventure irl. First step: plane tickets to Kingston-Upon-Hull!

I'll bet he doesn't even live there anymore. Maybe he's even changed his name. Maybe we could get someone who lives closeby in the U.K. to put up Wanted-posters. ;)

Dre75

Novice
Troels Pleimert
Have you tried contacting other fans who may have had contact with Cummins in the past? Surely you're not the only one.

I made some attempts to track down Dave recently but got nowhere. He gave me my first job at Activision back in the late eighties and was an awesome guy and a true maverick. Slightly concerned at his lack of online presence...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Troels Pleimert

I made some attempts to track down Dave recently but got nowhere. He gave me my first job at Activision back in the late eighties and was an awesome guy and a true maverick. Slightly concerned at his lack of online presence...

Welcome to the Codex. Are you someone famous? ;)

Very interesting. Just narrowing down what part of the world he's in would get us somewhere. How did you attempt to contact him, and how far into nowhere did you get? :)

Dre75

Novice
Very interesting. Just narrowing down what part of the world he's in would get us somewhere. How did you attempt to contact him, and how far into nowhere did you get? :)

Unfortunately it's been years since I had his number so just tried people online, Charles Cecil, Jonathan Howard and a number of Dave's namesakes. The last thing I can remember us testing was Deuteros so someone from that team might know. Seems like he left Revolution under a cloud though and never worked in the industry again, not a great omen...

Troels Pleimert Dre75 You should consider creating a Wikipedia article for Dave Cummins. It may attract the attention of people who know more.

That's not a bad idea, but I wonder how long an article like that would survive. I know practically nothing about his past life -- only his gaming credits -- and I have no verifiable sources for all the "dirt" I have. I fear an article like that would be axed by the editors in seconds flat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Troels Pleimert Dre75 You should consider creating a Wikipedia article for Dave Cummins. It may attract the attention of people who know more.

That's not a bad idea, but I wonder how long an article like that would survive. I know practically nothing about his past life -- only his gaming credits -- and I have no verifiable sources for all the "dirt" I have. I fear an article like that would be axed by the editors in seconds flat.

I don't think they would. He's a notable figure - the Beneath a Steel Sky article even has links to his not-yet-existent article.

It would have to start out as a "stub article", of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom