Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The search for Beneath a Steel Sky's creator, Dave Cummins (RIP)

A man named Paul Cooper, who gave Dave his first job in the games industry as his assistant, was also friends with his family. He was in contact with Dave's younger brother who told him the sad news. I'm trying to learn more, but Dave's brother apparently somewhere with limited internet access. I'll keep you updated.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Troels' blog post: http://pleimert.tumblr.com/post/81274646380/well-its-time-to-call-off-the-search-dave

Well, it’s time to call off the search. Dave Cummins, the designer, writer and composer of the classic adventure game Beneath A Steel Sky, is no longer missing. It turns out he passed away in 2008.

His old boss Paul Cooper, who gave him his first gig in the games industry as his assistant, had been in contact with Dave’s younger brother and wrote me to let me in on the sad news. I’m not sure how he died, but he was living in Hull and unfortunately had been cursed with deteriorating health.

You may have noticed from the credits in Steel Sky that Dave also wrote all the music for the game - and I distinctly remember him telling me, all those years ago, that he was really unhappy with the way his score had been MIDI-fied for the PC DOS version. Some of you may not know this (I didn’t), but Dave also played guitar in a rock band in the late 70’s called The Red Shift. Paul has uploaded a few of the recordings they made back then here: https://soundcloud.com/theoriginalredshift

It’s been really special getting to know some of Dave’s old friends and colleagues, as well as other Steel Sky fans who were similarly anxious to find out whatever happened to Dave. My big, big thanks to Jai Redman, who worked at Software Studios with Dave; Richard Gallagher, whom Dave named a character after in Steel Sky;and Andre Rosso and Charles Cecil. And also to the lads at RPGcodex who helped in the search.

Those who knew Dave describe him as fiercely anti-authority but with a kind heart, hand perpetually curled as if he was always playing air guitar. He left Revolution Software on acrimonious terms, but Charles Cecil professed an interest to mend their relationship and offer him a chance to be a part of Steel Sky 2.

As I have often said, Dave was a troubled genius - he may have been pretty damning of me, and we didn’t always see eye to eye, but I totally respect - and now miss - his intelligence and talent.

Charles Cecil

R.I.P. Dave Cummins. Wish I could’ve picked the dude’s brain some more. Now I’ll never get the chance.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Just gonna bump this as a reminder of the story of the search for Dave Cummins, now that his legacy has officially been pissed on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom