Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Played with hello friend for a bit. Game is pretty fun so far but I don't MMO much these days so my opinion is pretty meaningless. Atmosphere and quests are where it is at. Combat isn't as bad as people say, but once again early game and my opinion is shit since I am a noob.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So how is the Congo shithole like?

Short, half assed, incomplete come to mind to describe it.

If anyone thought this would save the game, then they are in for disappointment.

You have to wonder where Funcom's manpower is at if it takes them so long to release new content of dubious quality. Is SWL already on skeleton crew or does Conan Exiles have so much of their attention?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So how is the Congo shithole like?

Short, half assed, incomplete come to mind to describe it.

If anyone thought this would save the game, then they are in for disappointment.

You have to wonder where Funcom's manpower is at if it takes them so long to release new content of dubious quality. Is SWL already on skeleton crew or does Conan Exiles have so much of their attention?

Their focus is obviously on exiles and its launch on steam and consoles.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Their focus is obviously on exiles and its launch on steam and consoles.

Nobody here in Oslo (the exiles team) has worked on TSW since I left that project in 2014. Well the marketing guys still make videos for them.

I should also clarify that this is vice versa, nobody from the US works on Exiles either (except that one US community manager).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Nobody here in Oslo (the exiles team) has worked on TSW since I left that project in 2014. Well the marketing guys still make videos for them.

I should also clarify that this is vice versa, nobody from the US works on Exiles either (except that one US community manager).
But I bet exiles does influence resource allocation. The sw team clearly doesn't have enough people to update the game regularly with quality content, and funcom is not spending that money on those extra hands, or maybe they are?

Clearly something is wrong with sw development if this is the best they have to show after years and years of promises.

KevinV12000

Arcane
I decided to give SWL another go and took a new character through Kingsmouth-Savage Coast-Blue Mountains in order to give it a good test. I've walked away from it profoundly depressed about the changes and what they say about the gaming community.

There isn't a single quest or mechanic change that doesn't boil down to dumbing-down TSW. Side quests have been moved to "more convenient" locations, the innovative Talisman system replaced by a God-awful mechanic that has you chewing up the same talismans over and over again to improve the one you have, and, in one memorable case, a nice long quest was cut by about a fifth solely to relieve the busy player from having to travel to a different part of the map to finish the quest.

The wonderful and complex mix of skills, both active and passive, have been mimicked by a "streamlined" new set that not only eliminates choice, it makes the using of different skills and abilities a nearly useless endeavor. I wiped up the field with every encounter I faced using the same set in all three zones. I realized to my horror that all the complaining about TSW's combat was because it was actually challenging, your character could die. Under SWL's system, you press the awesome button a lot and awesome shit happens.

TSW had more wit, intelligence, humor, writing skill and depth in its opening Kingsmouth zone than most games have in their entirety.

I know, I know, the market has iron laws.

But, on the other hand, there ARE different markets out there for different types of people. If whoever the shitty hip hop star of the week is selling in the bazillions to great profit, there are also small jazz and classical ensembles that make a very good living serving customers with higher standards and better taste.

I wish FunCom would realize that, and produce games for that market, rather than keep on this useless struggle to merge intelligent games with console-tard expectations.

TSW is the best MMO ever made. Nothing else even comes close.

FunCom, find your market, find your place. You may never be a huge player in the games industry that way, but you'd be beloved, steady, solid and profitable.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The combat was still braindead dull and monotonous, the game engine was and still is a laggy piece of shit, and the graphics were serviceable at best.

I think it had potential to be an amazing Action RPG but funcom needed to try to make another WoW killer. :roll:

J1M

Arcane
I like the idea of this setting, but the content was too bland and repetitive. I'm sure there are dozens of interesting zones, but they made each one so long that I saw less than 2 of them. (Not talking about legacy)

They should have taken a zone like Kingsmouth and chopped it in half or in thirds, setting aside non-trivial areas of the map for high-level play. That would have allowed people to see more environmental variety.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The combat was still braindead dull and monotonous, the game engine was and still is a laggy piece of shit, and the graphics were serviceable at best.

I think it had potential to be an amazing Action RPG but funcom needed to try to make another WoW killer. :roll:
It has been for me with my shitty PC.

Delterius

Arcane
What's the point, really? Its not like this game is worth it for the combat either way. And I'd imagine most of the story/puzzles are already in the new version.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's the point, really? Its not like this game is worth it for the combat either way. And I'd imagine most of the story/puzzles are already in the new version.
I think someone already stated that they dumbed down the puzzles in this version.

And the story is worse off, as shown with the horrid tutorial dungeon.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think someone already stated that they dumbed down the puzzles in this version.

And the story is worse off, as shown with the horrid tutorial dungeon.
The different tutorial does not change the story, which is still awesome.

Lhynn

Arcane
Its fairly grindy, i mean, thats the game. But it does have some really nice new zzzzzzzzzzznematic quests, and the gameplay is better than ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom