Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Secret World

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Jaesun, Apr 8, 2011.

1. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    It would never have been that big as a single player game. They could never have afforded it.

It would have been cool if they'd built it from the ground up for future conversion to single player, for the day they finally shut down the servers. A man can dream.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Irxy Arcane

Irxy
    Project: Eternity
    Being big is not a positive thing by default. 3/4 of the game can easily be thrown out as a filler and conventional mmo rubbish.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    But the story that is there is better than 3/4 of the rubbish out in the market.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    There's a lot of shitty quest design in the game, people tend not to complain about the countless kill quests because they have some interesting characters and dialogue behind them.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of agency by the player. The quests almost always involve long winded monologues by npcs while you stand there dumbfucked listening, and a lot of the time those monologues have fuck all to do with the Quest objectives.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  5. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Secret World has an interesting setting, but it puts an MMO between it and the player. I have a few points in autism and I couldn't even finish the second zone. There's definitely something they could do with what they have to provide a tighter 30-hour experience instead of a 300-hour one.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Shouldn't take you more than 60-80 hrs to complete the game iirc

And that's if you're playing solo

^ Top  
  7. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah. I very much got the feeling of "Here's a scene from a disjointed movie, enjoy! Now go kill 10 wolves. Now here's another scene from that movie!" In general I liked the cutscenes - I feel the writing is good, the story structure is fine, the performances are good - but they're more a barrier between me and the game than a motivating force.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    3/4? It's better than 99% of the rubbish. Maybe 99,9.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. InD_ImaginE Magister

InD_ImaginE
    Lol, I feel the MMO gameplay to be a barrier between me and actually decent setting and dialogue from the scenes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. bozia2012 Arcane Patron

bozia2012
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    It's not clarified anywhere, but it's consistent throughout the game that being a "bee" means you're a bit retarded socially and you can't speak. You become a battlesuit for the bee, but not all connections are working :)

I liked the NPC monologues, because usually they're self-important assholes and wackos that provide unsolicited exposition about anything that's on their mind. Then you have to figure out yourself what was the problem.

^ Top  
  11. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    No, if i remember correctly you meet other bees and they can speak just fine. They went with the silent protagonist but never gave a reason why in the narrative.

^ Top  
  12. J1M Arcane

J1M
    I thought I was a Templar. Now I find out I was a bee. :(

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the worldbuilding, dialogue, characterization, performances, direction, you name it ... what I didn't like was the pacing. Sitting watching long disjointed cutscenes just didn't work well with this type of gameplay (does it ever?) and it was doubly bad because the content so rarely had anything to do with your objectives.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    Most of the cutscenes were written before the missions. I spent a lot of time pulling *anything* out of those cutscenes for mission designs.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Well that explains a lot D:

^ Top  
  16. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    wheres my single player spin off

• Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Sykar Arcane

Sykar

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    It failed because whoever is in charge of the design is a fucking moron. Someone should name and shame those dipshits, whoever thought it was a good idea to make the best items in the game come from the same 6 dungeons and make it so you get locked out of each dungeon until the next day, even if your group fails and falls apart along the way. Also the story faggery was off the scales, every shitty MMO quest wanted to try to justify itself with a spoken intro that was always cringe and bad. Also it had puzzles that were supposed to be like little investigations but were just a chore and nobody had the patience to do them so just googled the answers or just asked someone to blurt it out in chat. Also there was no way near enough content. They had this one big talent tree but that was it for every character and every class. It allowed a few different builds but that was it for the entire game. Everyone you ever met was one of those few builds and it is all anyone could be.

It could have been a really popular single player game but they tried to make it work as an MMO and it was way off. And then the Legends thing was even more clueless.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    lol who cares

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Everyone that plays it? What a retarded argument... Everyone in the game got to the point in a week that the only progress they could make was from running the same 6 instances over and over. It is a game without levels so you get better gear or you have nothing to do. Compare that to my favorite MMO where there are probably 100 dungeons or more. No wonder games can get away with being so shit when there are so many mongs like you.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. rolandz_Baton_PROD Educated

rolandz_Baton_PROD
    what's your favorite mmo?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    nobody (sane) plays this thing as an mmo

its a single player adventure / puzzles / storytiem game where some npcs are controlled by dumb people addicted to the jump button

• Agree Agree x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    They should just convert Secret World to a single player RPG with co-op. It'd be cool.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 10
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)