Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Sims 4

Caim

Arcane
What's the point of launching your game with half the features scooped out, then a few weeks later giving everybody that missing content for free anyway?
You can release the game earlier so you have your money earlier.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
What's the point of launching your game with half the features scooped out, then a few weeks later giving everybody that missing content for free anyway?
That seems unlikely to me... The ghosts trailer is only a month after release, but the ghosts appear to be fully implemented and well animated. It would probably have been perfectly ready for the game's initial release, but for some reason they just didn't put it in. The same has to be the case for pools and other things. I mean, the pools in the first three games must serve as some kind of extensive prototype, and the engine obviously does support them, if they're going to be patched in. It seems more likely that the developers had already implemented them, but whoever was in charge told them to keep the pools closed due to EAIDS until later on.

This doesn't come off to me as an Early Access style scam (EAEA?) either, but as something completely different. I don't know what exactly it is, but it seems unique among all the Early Access indie games that have no hope of becoming feature complete.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
Steady stream of content to keep people playing. The first expansion isn't likely to come out for another 4-6 months. If they keep people coming back every month, and then early January announce an expansion pack to be released in February or March, people will remain interested - the game'll be on their minds - unlike like if EA were to just go silent on it until then.

Angthoron

Arcane
That seems unlikely to me... The ghosts trailer is only a month after release, but the ghosts appear to be fully implemented and well animated. It would probably have been perfectly ready for the game's initial release, but for some reason they just didn't put it in. The same has to be the case for pools and other things. I mean, the pools in the first three games must serve as some kind of extensive prototype, and the engine obviously does support them, if they're going to be patched in. It seems more likely that the developers had already implemented them, but whoever was in charge told them to keep the pools closed due to EAIDS until later on.

This doesn't come off to me as an Early Access style scam (EAEA?) either, but as something completely different. I don't know what exactly it is, but it seems unique among all the Early Access indie games that have no hope of becoming feature complete.
They're copying Blizzard's WoW new expansion release model, it looks like.

Drakron

Arcane
Steady stream of content to keep people playing.

This isnt a subscription based MMO, there is exactly zero reason to do that since they dont get revenue by subs, they have no reason to content dripping.

The only reason is they dropped the ball so hard they are releasing it now in a attempt of appeasement, the only question is exactly why that content wasnt at launch ... was it deliberated withheld or it wasnt completed? Its not exactly new that people find planned contented in the game files, if I recall people found the basework of a weather system in TS3 base game well before weather was added but still we talking right after release ... I do wonder if pools werent withheld to be added on the next expansion pack.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
Steady stream of content to keep people playing.

This isnt a subscription based MMO, there is exactly zero reason to do that since they dont get revenue by subs, they have no reason to content dripping.
Uh yeah they do, the whole subscription DLC package that's been talked about a bunch. Not to mention the fact that the current standard release schedule for sims games is 2 expansions and 2 stuff packs a year. That's around $140 right there + any DLC. They want people to continue playing.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
I hope you guys are all busy roasting marshmallows and hanging out with the furry they added in the latest DLC.

Drakron

Arcane
Funny you mentioned that ...

The "Premium subcription" you spoke of appears to ... not exist, I know there was talk about it but after 3 free updates and their "PLEASE, PLEASE BUY IT" to the point they are making The Sims 4 Free during the series anniversary (just during, you play for free during those days, then you pay) it seems you kinda ... oh ... WRONG!

Since I am kinda bored let me tell you something as I am at it ... TS1 and TS2 were great success, TS3 was not ... EA had plans for the Store in TS3 but eventually dropped out, TS4 doesnt have one and I dont think Premium member would work with TS4, not considering most TS3 paysites either "died" (meaning, they moved to Second Life) or dropped subscription model and TS4 doesnt seem to even enjoy the initial success of TS3.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's 48 hours free on origin currently. I tried it for an hour.
Can't find the game.
Seems boring and empty overall.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's hilarious how EA seems to not understand the roots of popularity of any of their brands except for the moneyprint sports flagship. How does one fuck up something like the Sims?

RK47

Patron
It's hilarious how EA seems to not understand the roots of popularity of any of their brands except for the moneyprint sports flagship. How does one fuck up something like the Sims?

Oh they know what they're doing. The world is never released with full feature and meant to be slowly filled up with features by $20 packs.
But the key decision that made the world seem more limited is the decision to remove the open world loading into one map.
This added a lot of smoothness to the game, performance is generally better than Sims 3, but the world felt much more limited.
I was even more disappointed when I couldn't even order anything but chips to eat when I step into a bar. Not to mention the bartended seems bugged by the drink order queue. 8 people ordered their drinks, he kept taking it down but never delivered.
They all gathered around him, and chatted forever and ever. I stayed there for 4 hours in game before getting up to PAY and serve my own coffee. Lmao. #simsworldproblems
Left the cafe, tried to find a restaurant / fast food joint for dinner but there doesn't seem to be any.

Fuck this shit.

I want to explore more but the daily life is so boring to play without the bells and whistles that Sims 3 expansions have added over the years.
The Outdoor Activity Pack added camping which doesn't really add much but new holiday lots that takes place in .... outdoors.
I'll wait for some kind of super duper content add on before I will even give it more of a look.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, I tried an "acquired" Sims 3 back when it came out, and it felt relatively complete, you could do a fuckton of shit and I didn't really feel there was a lot of things missing. Of course, I'm not a Sims connoisseur, so maybe I'm completely wrong. With Sims 4, it sounds like a lot was cut at launch to make room for future DLCs, which is what causes the unfavorable comparing between 3 and 4 - it's not just the bells and whistles that got cut out, but some "meat" as well. I dunno though, didn't try it, just going by the things posted in the thread.

Xeon

Augur
I kinda enjoyed Sims 4 for a bit but yea, I think content wise its kinda similar to Sims 3 which is kinda bare without the expansions but changing the open world feel so extremely was kinda fucked up, you can't even visit the neighbors house without going into a loading screen. Granted the loading time is about a second or two but from what I can remember, Sims 3 only needed loading at start up and the moment you were in the world, there was no more loading.

baturinsky

Arcane
Sims 4 is not that bad, but it's just strictly worse than Sims 3 in everything except maybe performance on weak PCs.

RK47

Patron
Yeah, but when you can't even fill like...2-3 hours of attention span over initial playtime then you've completely failed imo.
Something just didn't catch on for some reason.
I just uninstalled it. Totally glad I didn't buy it over the holidays.

yeah-gg.jpg

Drakron

Arcane

By turning it into a game.

There is more, one of the things is the CC community kinda strives for realistic look and what EA does? Pixar ...The Sims pretty much stand on the CC community to create content but since things became more and more technical complex the amount of people that create CC diminishes, TS2 understood that and so they had a tool as TS3 was more limited and TS4 seems to have no idea were it wants to go, perhaps that for the best.

Edit:

RK47 list ... you are now dead to me, DEAD!

RK47

Patron
RK47 list ... you are now dead to me, DEAD!
Battlefield 3 is like... $20 on steam back then. Worth the hundreds of hours.
C: NR - Free Origin
Crysis 3 - Free Gfx card
Sims 3 - Humble Bundle
Theme Hospital - Free Origin
ME3: Still playing co-op till now. :smug:
DAI : :negative:

Drakron

Arcane
I am seeing TOO MANY LIMITED EDITIONS!!!

But you have Crusader so you cannot be that bad since its impossible someone that have Crusader being that bad ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom