Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gray Zone, real-time tactics with RPG and... shoot 'em up elements? From a Slovakian studio called Eastworks:

From their Steam page:

With our current team size it takes us about a year to make a new chapter. At that pace a conservative estimate would put the game’s completion date at Q4 2023.

:shredder:

They say that production can be sped up of course, depending on how well it sells in EA I guess. But still.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Need some help, bro is coming over for Xmas, and I need some really funny cheap Steam co-op games. Preferable the type where you are supposed to help each other, but the fun come from messing up for each other... or well, together.

I got Broforce already, and I'm thinking of getting Crawl. Any tips will be appreciated!

Ivan

Arcane
Need some help, bro is coming over for Xmas, and I need some really funny cheap Steam co-op games. Preferable the type where you are supposed to help each other, but the fun come from messing up for each other... or well, together.

I got Broforce already, and I'm thinking of getting Crawl. Any tips will be appreciated!

Spelunky, Overcooked, Monaco

Grokalibre

Savant

Victor Vran, unruly heroes, darksider genesis, the tomb raider game for 4 players.

Sentinel

Arcane

Posting this again since the devs published the 3rd campaign (with new heroes, and cards) and made it free for owners.
Unless I'm mistaken this also means that new buyers will get all the available content from the start with no need of additional DLC purchases.
I'm almost sure it works this way since right now the only DLC listed is the soundtrack.

So it's basically a meatier re-release.
Consider that I have 70+ hours logged already, having yet not even touched the newly released content.

Is this game any good? I noticed that it's online only apparently and I'm kinda afraid the devs will just pull the plug for no reason in the not too distant future.

Villagkouras

Arcane

Brotip: Start Broforce on Hard.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Castle Crashers is a lot of fun.

mastroego

Arcane

Posting this again since the devs published the 3rd campaign (with new heroes, and cards) and made it free for owners.
Unless I'm mistaken this also means that new buyers will get all the available content from the start with no need of additional DLC purchases.
I'm almost sure it works this way since right now the only DLC listed is the soundtrack.

Consider that I have 70+ hours logged already, having yet not even touched the newly released content.

Is this game any good? I noticed that it's online only apparently and I'm kinda afraid the devs will just pull the plug for no reason in the not too distant future.

Well here's the "review" I posted during the Early Access.
It's released now so a few points are moot now I guess.

And yep, AFAIK it's online only, which is something I'm usually annoyed by as well.
On the other hand there's Asmodee behind it, I mean it's a larger company that supports it, it's not just a tiny group of devs.
I don't know how big a guarantee this is, but I personally thought what the heck and made the purchase.
There are bigger things to be worried about in life, and I've finally come to learn this and live with it.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane

Well here's the "review" I posted during the Early Access.
It's released now so a few points are moot now I guess.

And yep, AFAIK it's online only, which is something I'm usually annoyed by as well.
On the other hand there's Asmodee behind it, I mean it's a larger company that supports it, it's not just a tiny group of devs.
I don't know how big a guarantee this is, but I personally thought what the heck and made the purchase.
There are bigger things to be worried about in life, and I've finally come to learn this and live with it.

How much of your playtime is single player stuff and how much is multiplayer? I wonder how long the campaigns are and if there's any replayability.

Still haven't picked anything up yet for the Christmas sale, but here's what I've been vaguely considering at least since wherever I am I must also blogpost.

Crest. I know absolutely jack shit about it other than it's a god game where your primary (Only?) way of interacting with the world is by giving commandments to your people. I've heard that it's less of a game and more of a toy since there's little gameplay to it and it's mainly just fun to see how your ant farm civilization morphs your commandments as they advance, but at $3 it sounds cheap enough and interesting enough to be on my radar.

Kenshi. Played Brut's copy a little a few years ago and it was grindy as hell and pretty awful, but I've heard a lot of good things about it now so I'm assuming that it improved. Hopefully. Either that or everyone's memeing. Interested in it but almost positively not going to buy it for $18 since I'm dubious enough about it and I already have a big pile of shit to play.

Hand of Fate 2. The first game's cool, the game and the DLC is $15 smackers, I'd have bought it already if it doesn't feel like some grade-a bundle bait. Unfortunately the developer apparently went tits up (Was reading the Steam forum a little about it and learned of it) so I suppose the future's uncertain. Could get delisted from Steam or it could end up in a bundle or in a 90% sale just to make quick money. $15's reasonable but since the first one has been bundled multiple times I believe it does make me think this one will eventually too. Plus, as always, giant backlog making me give less of a shit about waiting.

$150 worth of missing shitty CYOA games. No link since it's a partial bundle of the ones I'm missing, but almost positively not going to buy 'em. I didn't realize how goddamn many of them there were when I first started buying them. I'd buy them at $2-3 a pop with sales on the basis of enjoying text only CYOA nonsense and having fun laughing at some of the bad and inexplicable writing in them (The big standouts of course being the Kevin Gold ones which actually have a lot of reactivity and C&C/failing checks) but then it eventually reached a point where I realized I had tons of the fuckers and more were coming out at a constant pace. And as much as I get a kick out of them the bastards were nickel and diming me.

The Council. $9 and C&C heavy (I guess?) RPG-lite adventure game sounds right up my alley. Been eyeballing that every time it goes on sale. Not sure if this is the sale I'll finally pull the trigger.

Breathedge. Spacenautica sounds like something I'd want, but "Exploration building crafting" games miss for me a whole hell of a lot more than they land, and Subnautica was the only one that really pushed my buttons. As much as I'd want this to be good I'm not sure I want to take a chance.

Dicey Dungeons. Absolutely the kind of bullshit that I'd enjoy, just not sure I want to spend $10 for some dice rolling. The dude's also not afraid to bundle his games, but I suppose one point in favor of buying Dicey Dungeons is I got VVVVV from a bundle and ended up loving the shit out of it so spending more to get Dicey non-bundled wouldn't be the worst idea to pay 'em back some more. Sure as shit doesn't look like Slay the Spire-tier excellence in game design but it does look like something I'd have a lot of fun with.

Noita. Crap discount in the sale but the game keeps whispering to me. I'll probably resist it though.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still haven't picked anything up yet for the Christmas sale, but here's what I've been vaguely considering at least since wherever I am I must also blogpost.
The Council. $9 and C&C heavy (I guess?) RPG-lite adventure game sounds right up my alley. Been eyeballing that every time it goes on sale. Not sure if this is the sale I'll finally pull the trigger.

It's OK but really goes off the rails after the 2nd episode, it's entertaining for what it is, a Telltale-styled Adventure game but with more systems and gameplay in place. If you want to play a game in that genre though it's worth it.

Breathedge. Spacenautica sounds like something I'd want, but "Exploration building crafting" games miss for me a whole hell of a lot more than they land, and Subnautica was the only one that really pushed my buttons. As much as I'd want this to be good I'm not sure I want to take a chance.

For me, I like the idea of exploration/building/crafting games but many of them are too sandboxy for my tastes, or more about aimlessly and constantly grinding materials/etc. I absolutely loved Subnautica, partly because of the setting, but also because the way it is structured means it never got too repetitive/monotonous (unless you wanted it to be, of course) in that you were always progressing towards a goal and had an overall purpose other than just "survive" and the crafting progression kept giving you new things while making earlier tasks easier. Breathedge is much more like Subnautica in-space in that regard plus it doesn't take itself seriously. If you liked the progression and "mission" structure of Subnautica you will surely like Breathedge, especially if you are a fan of outer space..

I bought Breathedge when it first came out in EA and only played the first chapter but I really enjoyed it and that was shortly after finishing Subnautica so it held up in that regard... not sure about the 2nd and 3rd chapters that were added as I've decided I'll just wait until it's all complete at this point. (think there is only 1 or 2 left..)

Dicey Dungeons. Absolutely the kind of bullshit that I'd enjoy, just not sure I want to spend $10 for some dice rolling. The dude's also not afraid to bundle his games, but I suppose one point in favor of buying Dicey Dungeons is I got VVVVV from a bundle and ended up loving the shit out of it so spending more to get Dicey non-bundled wouldn't be the worst idea to pay 'em back some more. Sure as shit doesn't look like Slay the Spire-tier excellence in game design but it does look like something I'd have a lot of fun with.

Dicey Dungeons is great and I prefer it to Slay the Spire, honestly. The characters you can play as in DD are so vastly different compared to each other and offer completely different gameplay mechanics from each other.

Here's a decent overview vid:

Noita. Crap discount in the sale but the game keeps whispering to me. I'll probably resist it though

Absolutely fantastic game, the type of game that is great fun even if you absolutely suck at it. Highly recommended. Not really much to say other than if it looks like something you will like, you probably will.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
How much of your playtime is single player stuff and how much is multiplayer? I wonder how long the campaigns are and if there's any replayability.

I only play SP.
I still have to play the newly released campaign and the extra challenge mission.
In other words, I have played 70+ hrs with 2 campaigns and 2 challenge missions.
I still have a few cards to unlock too, mostly heroes' special cards (some are tricky to win)

Of course your mileage may vary.
In my opinion there's a lot of replayability already if you enjoy the deckbuilding aspect of the game.
The same quests will play very differently if you attempt them with different decks and different heroes, and you'll likely need some time to adjust to the groove and rhythm of the game.

So far, for the price, it's a lot of content imho.
But of course the real point is how it will be expanded in the future. During EA the options were more limited, you basically were forced to create multi-domain decks (that's like 3 or 2 "colors" in Magic).
As new cards are added, other kinds of decks are becoming possible.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

My kids love this. Of course they are 7 and 5.

Some other couch co-op we play:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom