Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's decent.

Boring banal shit game, unininstalled after two hours. Combat felt nice, tho, kind of a dmc/dragon dogma style. Better play Dragon Dogma

I played dragon's dogma, it feels nicer in some respects (esp the verticality, amalur doesn't even let you jump) and worse in others. They do have one thing in common though, which is that i couldn't be bothered to finish either of them. they are huge games with shallow character systems and poor pacing.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Did they ever make this playable?

Can get all three games + all the DLC (wait they had DLC??) for $5.50. But if its unplayable shit then whatever.

edit: lol just saw they never did the 3rd one.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Talos Principle is very good. It has tough optional content to boot, at least too tough for me to solve, but was still fun to attempt.

Is Elite Dangerous any good? Also thinking of grabbing Talos Principle.
Elite's an odd duck. On one hand the sandbox is really soulless and massively grindy. On the other hand, it's a really relaxing game if you want space exploration or trucking and the dogfighting's pretty enjoyable too. It's difficult to recommend because hardcore space grognards usually are put off by how little you can actually influence or impact anything (Even the biggest guilds and players are essentially meaningless) and how much grind there is, and casual space pals usually get put off by the grind and the fact that it looks a lot more hardcore than it really is. I'm happy with it but it's something I play off and on over the course of a few years, I'll get in the mood for some Elite and play it fairly heavily for a month or a few weeks and then put it down for the rest of the year, then pick it up again. But I know some people who poopsock it and get hundreds of hours in a stretch before they feel burnt out and call it banal boring shit, and it's $12 with the expansion (Which you probably want. It's not mandatory but the planetary stuff's fun if you end up liking the game at all) so even if you get a hundred hours before you hate it it was probably worth it.

So I guess I would recommend it pretty easily at the sale price.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I bought Oddworld, Grimrock, Sunless Sky, Nioh and Nowhere Prophet.

I would refund Nioh but it's too late but at least I got refunded for Nowhere Prophet.

It was a shitty year.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I bought Oddworld, Grimrock, Sunless Sky, Nioh and Nowhere Prophet.

I would refund Nioh but it's too late but at least I got refunded for Nowhere Prophet.

It was shitty year.
Why would you refund Nioh? Also request the refund anyway. Sometimes they grant it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thronebreaker any good?

I didn't even know the sales were on and I wanted to buy it today for other reasons, what a pleasant surprise... except I found out I had already bought it earlier at full price :lol:

Anyway the game seems really promising. Not exactly MicroProse's Shandalar in terms of openness and depth of the overworld, but it is similar. And they really went deep with the game space of Gwent, I'm just through the starting area and have already played some cool puzzles and stuff. The mechanics are thouroughly fleshed out compared to the mini game in Witcher 3. I'm convinced you'll get at least the 12 euroes of fun out of it.

Thronebreaker any good?

You wouldn't be missing much if you pass on it IMO

Gwent is shit and CDPR is shit and Poland is shit and everything is shit. :rpgcodex:

More specifically I'm bitter because of how hard CDPR fucked up Gwent, but that doesn't have much to do with Thronebreaker, but I do have some complaints about Thronebreaker which I'll briefly list because I'll never not be angry. ANGRY ABOUT GWENT.
1. Too easy. Maybe it's because I was a professional Gwent poopsocker but even on hard (After the patch raising the difficulty) Thronebreaker's ridiculously easy. To the point where you almost never have to adjust your deck for any fights or challenges. I only shifted the general plan of my deck in the final hour or two of the game because I lost one or two relatively key cards and because I could tell the game was winding down and I figured I may as well deckbuild, so I went from winning fights to winning fights by hundreds of points.
2. Questionable C&C. It does have a relatively respectable amount of C&C, but almost all "Plain text" choices (Just text boxes and not talking heads) are non-choices that essentially boil down to "Do you want content or do you not?". You might think "Well for roleplaying and story reasons I shouldn't do thing" but if it's in a text box you should probably do thing because you'll get cards or fabulous prizes, otherwise you'll just flat out get jack shit.
3. Bit dragassy. The story itself is fine (I've heard from a Witcher book nerd that it's some of the most book-similar writing from CDPR since Witcher 1 since this is more directly in common with the books than any of the other games) but there is a LOT of optional puzzles/challenges/fights/etc and a lot of them aren't really worth it. Combined with the lack of difficulty you'll tear through a bunch of stuff with minimal reward or reason.
4. QUEEN MEVE CHARGES IN FRONT OF ALL HER MEN AND SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER. This wouldn't be an issue except it happens every 15 minutes. Would've had more impact if it only happened a few times over the course of the game to try to drive home a key battle. Instead it feels like every other fight the narrator brings it up.

All that bitching aside, I'd say that if you're really in the mood for a Witcher game/story/whatever it's probably worth the $15. If you're wanting a card game I'd say it's not worth the $15 since it's not very good for deckbuilding, puzzling, or much at all. Slay the Spire and Card Quest are better options if you just want some card-based singleplayer gameplay, STS being at the top of the heap and Card Quest being not as infinitely replayable but still quite solid.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
STS is a fantastic baseline but I can't help but feel they dropped the ball in the content department. The tower and amount of enemies feel way too limited

my haul so far:

for me:

lego star wars complete saga
star wars jedi knight pack
age of decadence
grimoire
far cry 5
metal gear solid V: phantom pain + ground zeros
state of decay: year one ultimate whatever

for CorpseBride

far cry 5
lego harry potter years 1-?
lego harry potter years ?-7

got some more tokens to redeem so its not over yet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom