Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Heretic

Cipher
Looks like the Wolfenstein 3D engine with a visual novel

Trilogy finale

Adventure, Gore, Violent

Early access:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Two similar-looking turn-based RPGs.

Vagrus, "a post-apocalyptic fantasy RPG-strategy hybrid":

ss_8231685c8752144cd0b8706ac2d6acbae2e93197.600x338.jpg

ss_d882b475f41d93eb2827a1146bf67f920e70c15f.600x338.jpg

Embark on a perilous journey across a realm forsaken by the gods and devastated by an arcane cataclysm. Accompanied by a hardy crew, you are free to discover a dark fantasy world and its secrets. Trade, fight, or explore your way to success as the leader of a traveling company in Vagrus, a post-apocalyptic fantasy RPG-strategy hybrid developed by Lost Pilgrims Studio.

Vagrus is a 2D Strategy-Roleplaying Game for PC, where the player takes the role of a vagrus - a sort of a caravan leader, who makes a living on a strange and dangerous dark fantasy world by leading a traveling company on all kinds of ventures.

dark.png

A vast continent is yours to explore, filled with unique locations, strange factions, lurking dangers, and a lot of characters you can interact with.

branching.png

A large selection of longer and shorter stories make up the game’s narrative in the form of events and quests. The choices you make in these often affect the companions and the world around you.

combat.png

Engage in turn-based, tactical combat that involves your companions and a large variety of enemies, both humanoid and monstrous. Use a range of character skills and abilities to succeed.

manage.png

Most journeys have to be planned and prepared for carefully, lest they end in disaster. Manage your supplies, cargo, and crew effectively to survive. Take on contracts and follow rumors or trade opportunities.

characters.png

The player can recruit fully-developed companions into the caravan to serve in versatile roles, such as scoutmaster, guard captain, quartermaster, or navigator. Each of them comes with their own background and personal quest lines.

Ragtag Crew, turn-based roguelike-ish set in seemingly post-apocalyptic setting

ss_9a180b8fb567fa8578c6095fce92f39f4ac95b98.600x338.jpg

• A diverse team – a choice of 8 characters from a gunslinger monk to a breeder of terrifying desert beasts.
  • You decide where to go — for example, do you want to dash to a shelter to regain your health, or risk everything to loot an abandoned station?
  • Tactical battles — where you know your opponents' plans in advance. Use your team well and you can make your enemies' plans backfire.
  • Text events — make difficult choices. Watch your characters evolve and see how their abilities lead to new developments in familiar situations.
  • Characterization — all the team members are unique and have their own views. A decision which pleases one character might enrage another one.
  • Team upgrades — learn new skills, arm yourself with artifacts from the Era of Miracles, and even get a robot assistant.
  • Replayability — each run features new locations, events and opponents.
  • One chance — every decision is final and the death of the team means game over. There is no way to go back, so every single choice matters.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Chef, a restaurant management game by Inner Void, the developer of ICY:

ss_8e569789c9837811542ba933956d5a20e703cbc0.600x338.jpg

ss_1b207f22470ac0b53fae871cecc707074126d117.600x338.jpg

Chef allows you to personally don a kitchen apron and embark on an exciting career in the wild world of professional cooking. Starting with nothing but pocket change, a small restaurant, and an ambitious dream, you’ll ascend from the life of a humble cook to that of a world-famous chef.

Nothing will prevent you from deciding how to climb to the top of the food chain. Prepare yourself for a true sandbox experience in which all your management choices matter as you build your gastronomic empire. What will it be? A steakhouse? A vegan paradise? A pasta palace? An experimental cooking lab? Only you can figure out which path is best for your establishment.

FEATURES LIST
  • Create your own avatar and level them up across 6 different skill trees with more than 100 abilities to choose from.
  • Full restaurant management: Create the restaurant’s location and layout, hire the staff, design the menu, and determine the restaurant’s policies.
  • Customize every aspect of your restaurants: Choose from over 150 different variations for floors and walls, and over 200 appliances and decorations that can be individually placed and colored.
  • Experiment with a realistic recipe editor: Use the skills and ingredients at your disposal to create one-of-a-kind dishes that are accurately rated by taste and aroma.
  • Choose your own cooking style: Specialize in meat or seafood, go vegetarian or vegan, or offer a vast selection of spicy or exotic dishes. The choice is yours and the world will react to it accordingly.
  • Hundreds of events and minor storylines will weave an emergent narrative around your choices and actions.
  • Extended modding support: Getting tired of the game after playing it for two hundred hours? Thanks to Chef’s mod support, you will never run out of fresh content to enjoy!

Jinn

Arcane
I had high hopes for this one, apparently it is getting BTFO'd in the reviews.

Luckily we have Dead Cells to play instead.

Metroidvanias were never meant to be procedurally generated. Level design is one of the key elements of the genre. It always surprises me when developers decide to do this. That's why I'll probably never play Chasm or Dead Cells, despite them looking somewhat interesting and having nice art styles.

Goddamn I'm tired of the procedural generation fad.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

Metroidvanias were never meant to be procedurally generated. Level design is one of the key elements of the genre. It always surprises me when developers decide to do this. That's why I'll probably never play Chasm or Dead Cells, despite them looking somewhat interesting and having nice art styles.

I don't like metroidvanias that much, and I don't consider Dead Cells one to be honest. It's a slash'm'up where new skills unlock shortcuts and little else.

In any case Chasm is a no-go for me for the bad combat.

Latro

Arcane

dead cells is more like risk of rain

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

dead cells is more like risk of rain
Except I never got past the first boss of RoR and in DC I cruise the levels.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Fuck that. The time periods on offer are carefully selected to drive people into being constantly logged on and paying attention to Steam news and social media, which is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what sane people should be doing.

A Flash Sale should have a minimum time of 12 hours.

That's one more reason for me to keep away from Steam... as if I didn't have enough of them already.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Fuck that. The time periods on offer are carefully selected to drive people into being constantly logged on and paying attention to Steam news and social media, which is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what sane people should be doing.
And we can be sure the best deals will all be during US evening, so I'll be asleep or at work for the whole duration

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It all depends on how deep the flash sale discounts will be. In the past there were some great deals to be had there. If it's going to be 50% no one will care.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Meridian 59, "the first 3D MMORPG", is coming to Steam:

ss_95ce00b5738393820c4d814e326f25741ad29743.600x338.jpg

Apparently it's currently run by the original creators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom