Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Dexter

Arcane
More Free Shit:

Latelistener

Arcane
Played a few demos from the festival.

Carrion is a blast. Somewhat simplistic, but very enjoyable.
Operencia is good, but I didn't like the amount garbage loot in the game. Also, too many dialogues for my taste.
Spiritfarer looks beautiful, but I'm not sure what to say about the game. There is no combat or much platforming, so it's more of an adventure I guess.
Superliminal has some interesting puzzle ideas, but I have a feeling it will get very stale if that's all the game has to offer. Also, it's a bit empty and lifeless.
Hundred Days is too short to actually get any impressions. Kind of disappointing.
Vigil is the one I did not like very much. Controls are not really pleasant and it throws a bunch of characters at you you're suppose to give a shit about, but you don't.

Dexter

Arcane
This seems kinda interesting, reminds me of Woodruff:

Also what else can everyone recommend from the "Game Festival" btw.?

CARRION seemed interesting enough but the Demo is kinda short.
Quench reminded me of From Dust, but it's Low-Effort Unity shit and very Meh.
Hundred Days isn't actually a Management Sim, but some weird game where you "draw cards" onto a board every turn, also very subject-specific without much of an explanation.
Pushy Pully - Eh, was thinking "Bomberman" but seems to be more of a time-based puzzle game without much Action.

None of them came off like "Must Buys".

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if this is the right thread or the wrong thread the wrong thread fo this, but another delisted game appears:

Dexter If you haven't played the Solasta demo, give it a shot.

Dexter

Arcane
Liberated kinda reminded me of Comix Zone, but seems to be more of an Interactive comic with a few relatively slow and boring Jump & Run Shooty sequences instead and some backstory about Dystopia and Anonym00se or something.
Röki seems cool so far although rather short Demo, 3D Adventure with an interesting art style in a lovely Fantasy world with hints of Nordic influence. Reminds me of Dreamfall.
Operencia has an intriguing art-style, but I'm not sure as to some of the design choices or why some gay romance-novel cover designer apparently painted the character portraits. Seems fine enough as a game though, if it wasn't for the "Epic Exclusive" thing.
Spiritfarer - Meh, barely anything happens and there's no Gameplay
Filament - Shit gets real complicated real fast, but has some promise. Not for someone that dislikes puzzle games.
Haven - A bit cringe but interesting enough, not sure about the battle system.
Dexter If you haven't played the Solasta demo, give it a shot.
The Butch Dyke looking thing in the Trailer kind of scared me off. Can't say I feel better about the characters IG "The Old Empire was built on Slavery and Racism!" LOL.
xb3RTqm.jpg

Animation is choppy and awkward. If they want to do face animation and Cutscenes they're gonna have to do a lot better than that. Don't like how the camera moves, it jumps all over and constantly brings me back to the party while trying to look around, also hangs at walls or above em etc. UI looks bad and is awkward - haven't even found an easy way to change the way they're facing when walk-clicking, even reading shit in the inventory is a pain, some of the interactions with the environment are promising. It hung up on me once when starting a battle during a Cutscene and couldn't Load or Save. I wouldn't have shown it to people at this stage, much less polished than anything else I've tried.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Played a few demos from the festival.

Carrion is a blast. Somewhat simplistic, but very enjoyable.
Operencia is good, but I didn't like the amount garbage loot in the game. Also, too many dialogues for my taste.
Spiritfarer looks beautiful, but I'm not sure what to say about the game. There is no combat or much platforming, so it's more of an adventure I guess.
Superliminal has some interesting puzzle ideas, but I have a feeling it will get very stale if that's all the game has to offer. Also, it's a bit empty and lifeless.
Hundred Days is too short to actually get any impressions. Kind of disappointing.
Vigil is the one I did not like very much. Controls are not really pleasant and it throws a bunch of characters at you you're suppose to give a shit about, but you don't.
Played a few more.

Haven is like No Man's Sky, but at least gone in the right direction. You don't need billions of planets - you need one, but memorable. Writing is a cringe though.
Filament is a great puzzle game that keep upping up difficulty and new mechanics in it. I expect it to be good at least. It has better chances than Superliminal, strangely enough.
Heavenly Bodies is one of those physics-based games to mess up with your friends. Enjoyed it.
Eldest Souls is a clone, obviously, but done quite good. It looks nice and sounds nice and combat feels good enough. Although I encountered a bug and couldn't get past the second boss.
Röki is a good looking adventure game with interesting setting, but I'm not sure whether gameplay will hold up to it. All you had to do in the demo is finding specific items in order to progress.
Elden: Path of the Forgotten is another DS clone, but you can't even hit diagonally with your character. Didn't like it.
Hazel Sky looks like a great adventure game on the surface, but I regret even installing it. Short, bad controls and performance and horrible voice acting.
Liberated looked good too from the store page, but I also didn't like it. They didn't show much of a story and gameplay was extremely boring.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The Butch Dyke looking thing in the Trailer kind of scared me off. Can't say I feel better about the characters IG "The Old Empire was built on Slavery and Racism!" LOL.
xb3RTqm.jpg

Guy in the back holding up a finger, "But it was built."

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Chronicle of Innsmouth was fun.
Any opinions on Guard Duty ? Steam reviews consensus seems to gravitate towards puzzlelessness, which makes me wary.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Just picked up StarCrawlers and this. Thanks for the heads up on Rain World, Latelistener; so much cool shit on Steam completely buried.

Jagged Alliance 2 is on sale? I don't understand the different versions on Steam, but I think this is the main version and it's 80% off.

Also worth mentioning

Curratum

theHunter Call of the Wild is 70% off, 6 EUR for 2 reserves, which is amazing value. Older DLC reserves (which are frankly the best DLCs) are ~3 EUR.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Any opinions on Guard Duty ? Steam reviews consensus seems to gravitate towards puzzlelessness, which makes me wary.
Yes, at least the game is advertised as an easy game unlike some other similarly easy games so I approached the game with an appropriate mindset, enjoyed it and could recommend it, the music and animation are good, the story and humour work and some puzzles are original but the game is indeed easy, if you're looking for hard puzzles then you'd better pass your way.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

GTA 4 no longer available for sale on Steam. What happen?

The ghost of GFWL is still haunting... https://www.usgamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-4-delisted-from-steam-rockstar-responds

In a statement to USgamer, a Rockstar Games spokesperson explains that the removal stemmed from being unable to generate additional keys for Grand Theft Auto 4.

"Grand Theft Auto 4 was originally created for the Games For Windows Live platform," reads the statement. "With Microsoft no longer supporting Games For Windows Live, it is no longer possible to generate the additional keys needed to continue selling the current version of the game. We are looking at other options for distributing GTA4 for PC and will share more information as soon as we can."

It's now back as the Complete Edition.

IMPORTANT UPDATES TO GRAND THEFT AUTO IV AND EPISODES FROM LIBERTY CITY
We are making a number of changes to make sure players who own Grand Theft Auto IV and GTA: Episodes from Liberty City can continue to enjoy these games.

New Players
Starting 03/19/2020, Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition will replace both Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City wherever it is currently digitally available. Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition will as also be available via the Rockstar Games Launcher.
Current game save files will be compatible with Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition.

As a result of this update the following services will no longer be available in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition:
  • Games for Windows Live
  • Multiplayer mode
  • Leaderboards
The following Radio Stations will be temporarily unavailable in Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
  • RamJam FM, Self-Actualization FM, and Vice City FM (previously available in Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City)

Note: Because Japanese is a supported language for Grand Theft Auto IV, but is not supported for Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, players will continue to be able to play Grand Theft Auto IV with Japanese sub-titles but will need to select another language in order to play Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.

Current Players
Players who have previously installed and played Grand Theft Auto IV or Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City will be able to update their copy to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition through the following means:

Steam Users
Depending on the game, players on Steam will need to install or update their current game:
  • Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City will be removed and replaced with GTAIV: Complete Edition in the launcher library. Update file size is expected to be approximately 22GB
  • Grand Theft Auto IV owners will download content from Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City and their game will update to GTAIV: Complete Edition. Update file size is expected to be approximately 6GB 
Physical Media
  • Games not previously activated using Games for Windows Live will be able to use the Key on the back of the game manual to activate and update to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
Games for Windows Live Digital Store Purchases
  • Games previously activated using Games for Windows Live will require players to create and/or link their Social Club accounts in replacement of Games for Windows Live to update to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition
Note: New activations from players trying to install current copies of Grand Theft Auto IV may be disrupted until Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition is available. All users will need to be connected to the internet and authenticate their copy of the game.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Don't know too much about it, but the Orange Juice games are free atm. One of those inter-genre series.

Edit: looks like the media embeds don't acknowledge the 100% off for some reason, but they should be free for a few days still.

Also Blair Witch.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom