Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Super BunnyHop Thread

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Why is everyone on the internet tying to be some kind of video game expert?
They aren't. You're on a video game forum. We tend to notice people trying to be some kind of video game expert.

Maybe you were trying to get to here? https://www.4chan.org/

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why is everyone on the internet tying to be some kind of video game expert?

See, the great thing about Weidman is that he is an actual gosh-darned journalist doing background research and following standard reporting criteria when he does work. He's not "trying to be a video game expert," he's trying to do professional reporting, and he's succeding. Take a look at his THQ video. Some real decent groundwork in that vid.

His work highlights how sorely lacking most "video game journalists" are in the basic skills of their so-called profession.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Hey, i didn't watch the videos, it was just general reaction, because it seems there are way too much random people on youtube trying revooing vidya gaems or making ''witty'' commentary on them for it's own good.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
If you don't want to see such content, the wisest course of action is to avoid threads dedicated to said content creators.

Damned Registrations

Your entire point was retarded though. You may as well do a search for 'horseshoe smithing' on youtube and conclude that theres some giant horseshoe smithing fad and you're sick of all these gay smiths making videos. Internet is big, dipshit. There are a lot of people doing everything.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think he kind of missed the point - starting with 60 FPS had to undermine his argument a bit. The difference between 30 and 60 is more crucial than between 60 and 144 (which you will rarely get with modern games anyway, unless uber hardware is involved). But overall, I enjoyed the video. Wish he could make a living out of these and therefore release more than 10 minutes per week.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And I just started to hit 60 fps in games... I'm always 2 generations behind :oops:

Morkar Left

Who is this guy and why does he deserve his own thread? And more importantly why isn't the codex bitching about him?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Who is this guy and why does he deserve his own thread? And more importantly why isn't the codex bitching about him?

His name is George Weidman, he's (an actual) journalist, and he does p. good reviews. We have plenty of people bitching about him tho. Sexbad hates him for example.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
To be fair, his review of beyond earth was pretty bad. I like his stuff in general though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To be fair, his review of beyond earth was pretty bad. I like his stuff in general though.

It was? I agree. "Shit follow-up to CiV but still okay because civ" <--- I agree. There ain't much to say about Beyond Earth IMO. It's a pretty mediocre game and thus boring to talk about.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

It was? I agree. "Shit follow-up to CiV but still okay because civ" <--- I agree. There ain't much to say about Beyond Earth IMO. It's a pretty mediocre game and thus boring to talk about.
I felt it was a 10 minute video that said nothing. You might be right about being boring to talk about, but then why make a video at all? I felt it didn't really contain any analysis, criticism or praise.

They can't all be winners I guess.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I felt it was a 10 minute video that said nothing. You might be right about being boring to talk about, but then why make a video at all? I felt it didn't really contain any analysis, criticism or praise.

They can't all be winners I guess.

I guess I see your point. Reviews of mediocre things are just never that exciting. I did like that he focused on the lack of fluff which was made Centauri really stand out.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

There's enough to say about it to make his criticism video actually interesting. The biggest sin of his video is that he didn't post video clips of wonders vs Alpha Centauri's secret projects, to kind of clue the ignorant audience in to what they're actually missing out on, but here are a couple of things I would've touched on:

- The writing either being awful, or trying to be too funny. "Children should think of infrastructure, not candy." Fuck you.

- The general, politically correct theme of the entire game. Everything is too happy, bright, cartoony, and diverse. The "Spiritual Successor" to SMAC needs to be brooding and edgy, like SMAC was. It also needs to be fun.

- The horrible VA by the Indian woman who reads everyone's quotes for some crazy reason.

- All of the initial bases start out visually the same, unlike SMAC or EL where every single base is different and has it's own personality.

- Siege Worms just sitting there when you hit them with base artillery.

- Base artillery is handholding dog shit, just patently un-fun.

He touched on most of the other stuff, but he didn't go in to enough detail about everything.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
1) Eh, it's servicable.

2) "I don't like this nor agree with it therefore it's bad." Great criticism.

3) It's incredibly shitty, but also so minor it's not worth mentioning in a 10 minute quickie.

4) Another detail neatly folded into the "fluff is horrible, AC beats it squarely here" package.

5) Could have mentioned that I guess.

6) Trademark of CiV. It's not really hand-holding, more of an asset of the new (sucky) unit system.

Damned Registrations

Yeah, I was really hoping to see a clip from one of the wonder videos from SMAC. Those were fantastic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He seems to have avoided going fully down the "It's not like SMAC, therefore it sucks" route. He's clearly aware of the connection between the two games, so that must have been intentional. I guess he didn't want to get hung up on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom