Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Super BunnyHop Thread

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Let's hope it's not too leftarded.

Easily one of his worst videos. The video itself is just George going on about his preferences to war games/sims forcing you in to dealing with shitty losses, instead of having the ability to savescum. There is nothing political about the video whatsoever, one way, or the other. It should've been a 3 minute video.

Murk

Arcane
He really just talks about how anti-war plot/themes clash or complement gameplay. I'm okay with the conclusions he makes, but the story is one that's commonly told by ... well... anyone whose ever played a table-top RPG or even a decent cRPG.

Nothing new, but nothing outright horrible. Just... more shit I guess. I suppose it's worthwhile to anyone who is just fascinated by the idea of "ludonarrative dissonance" (I hate that phrase so much.)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I watched this yesterday, and yeah, I have indeed never heard of those.

NeonXSZ looks fun if you have dozens of hours to waste, which I do not.
Neocolonialism looks ok, I guess. Would benefit from a more in-depth look.
The other two are beyond my scope of interest. Especially the shooter makes me dizzy just by watching it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GamerGate talk starts at 9:30

tl;dr "Why can't we all just get over it"

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
GamerGate talk starts at 9:30

tl;dr "Why can't we all just get over it"

The last minute or so of that video gives me the fucking creeps. Is this guy trying to start up a cult or something? "You're better than this, you can enjoy videogames without shame, I love you, you're a human being, now detonate the Sarin Gas when you board the train".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Somehow, somewhere, a version of Tetris had a botched launch. A French revolutionary's faceflesh slid away from their hair and teeth. A beloved multiplayer console FPS became a hated multiplayer FPS console FPS. Here's the how and why.

I attempted to reach out to the devs behind Tetris Ultimate, AC: Unity and The Master Chief Collection, but they were (understandably) unresponsive. "Colin," however, provided me with a great Q&A you can fully see here: (edited for anonymity): http://i.imgur.com/VGsQJSm.png

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane

Lol no. This has nothing to do with trends.

'Stealth' feels the same in every game because 'stealth' is a limited mechanic. Throw an object OR hide behind something > wait for the enemy to be distracted > knock him down or pass him. Using MGS3 as a example of "unique take on stealth" is nonsense. You do the same thing you do in every other stealth game (throw an object OR hide behind something > wait for the enemy to be distracted > knock him down or pass him).

Also, if he wants an evolution of RE4's combat that feels unique, he should play RE6 (at least the Mercenaries mode, because the campaigns waste too much time with non-combat stuff), not The Evil Within.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
'Stealth' feels the same in every game because 'stealth' is a limited mechanic. Throw an object OR hide behind something > wait for the enemy to be distracted > knock him down or pass him. Using MGS3 as a example of "unique take on stealth" is nonsense. You do the same thing you do in every other stealth game (throw an object OR hide behind something > wait for the enemy to be distracted > knock him down or pass him).
Wow, now this is a dumb oversimplification... guess than that Gears of War, Call of Duty and Doom are the same, since you just shoot stuff.

Games like Thief, MGS3, Hitman, Mark of the Ninja and Tenchu all feel completely different gameplay-wise, even if the overall logic is similar. His complain is that every modern popamole game plays the exact same way, they follow the same logic, the same controls and design philosophy.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Interestingly, if you're playing a lot of similar games, a game that is better but similar to previous games will feel like a worse game simply because it's no longer a novel experience. It obviously sucks for him or those of us that play way too many fucking games, but it's not exactly a good argument against having design trends. Iterating on something for slight improvements is a good thing in the long run. It's why we no longer have awful crap like HUDs that cover half the screen for no reason or shitty platforming sections in FPS games.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Glad to see he's back on track. Was quite concerned when he couldn't upload anything in his schedule.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That he is. Also remains the sole YouTube on my subscribed-list who consistently produces content. When I get a job, a little bit of that paycheck is going to this man's Patreon, if he has one.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Defending the lame camera placement

Yep, I love trying to run from dogs and get hit because I can't see the dog. So well designed... especially when you fight bosses that toss projectiles at you.

The backtracking gets old fast. When the inventory is near full (which happens, like, all the time), you need to return to a safe room to stock the items. Walking in the same corridors over and over again isn't interesting. Would be better if the puzzles pieces didn't take space in the inventory (like in RE4).

And you don't need to kill zombies. They drop no loot.

Edit: I'm sure the shark isn't the only enemy that can instakill the player. Also:

5:14 (...) You have to grab an item placed next to the mouth of its corpse. That is freaking brilliant. Taking 5-foot steps to grab that thing and walk away is the most nerve-wracking, terrifying experience I've had in years (...)

Getting an item close to a near dead enemy is the most terrifying experience he had in years... :o

Wow, now this is a dumb oversimplification... guess than that Gears of War, Call of Duty and Doom are the same, since you just shoot stuff.

Games like Thief, MGS3, Hitman, Mark of the Ninja and Tenchu all feel completely different gameplay-wise, even if the overall logic is similar. His complain is that every modern popamole game plays the exact same way, they follow the same logic, the same controls and design philosophy.
The biggest difference is that shooters have diverse pattern for enemies, which is something lacking in stealth games. The enemy pattern in stealth games is either a bugged realistic AI or a repetitive "pac-stealth" pattern that simply requires the player to hide in a corner waiting for a chance to knock the enemy down. It's very popamolish, really.

A lot of shooters also have a bugged realistic AI, but the multiplayer compensates for it.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That he is. Also remains the sole YouTube on my subscribed-list who consistently produces content. When I get a job, a little bit of that paycheck is going to this man's Patreon, if he has one.
Strangely, he doesn't. Doesn't even have a donate button on his webpage.

I think this makes me like him all the more.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Well, I respect these guys need to live. For someone who churns out content on a regular basis without faffing about, I think Patreon is ideal. It's all the other guys like Franklin who have a patreon and still put out very little content that I dislike.

A good example is the Magic podcast I listen to, Limited Resources. They're steady, it's quality. I have no problem with them asking for money.

7h30n

Augur

Well, I respect these guys need to live. For someone who churns out content on a regular basis without faffing about, I think Patreon is ideal. It's all the other guys like Franklin who have a patreon and still put out very little content that I dislike.

A good example is the Magic podcast I listen to, Limited Resources. They're steady, it's quality. I have no problem with them asking for money.

And on top of that it seems to me he puts a lot of effort in prior research of the topic, trends and history surrounding the creation in case of specific games. His writing also seems well done with good pacing and covers multiple angles. Unlike Campster who likes to ramble a lot from one particular angle without providing much substance (although I haven't watched his videos for a while now, so I don't know if he still does that). Overall, I haven't found anyone better than SBH at providing video game related analysis/critique (well, at least in video form).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

And on top of that it seems to me he puts a lot of effort in prior research of the topic, trends and history surrounding the creation in case of specific games.

This is the main reason I believe him to be one step ahead of all other game journos out there. His research work is massive and pretty impressive. Again I refer to the bit he did on THC's bankruptcy. I hate to give all the credit to his field of education, but it seems obvious to conclude that: surprise! actual gosh-darned journalists do a better job than manchildren playing at reporting.

Tom Selleck

Arcane

Got invited to a draft for the first time in 10+ years, have been listening to them review Khans and Fate Reforged, excellent stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom