Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Surge - "sci-fi Dark Souls" from Lords of the Fallen devs

Mozg

Arcane
I'm guessing there is some kind of duck button that lets you get underneath those telegraphed horizontal slashes and you get a slowdown as your reward (maybe to do whatever input is necessary to get the "riposte" attacks that chop off an enemy's leg/bisect them at the waist), sort of analogous to fighting game hitstop.

I never played LotF so I dunno if that is overestimating them.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
screenshot.surge-iv-2017.1920x1080.2016-05-26.13.jpg

Crospy

Learned
The answer is - Armored Core has never sold millions and dark souls rip-off is kinda KF rip-off.
Kingsfield was made by the same people, so hardly a ripoff, just more like another spin off, like demons souls and bloodborne.

Yeah, rather than ripoff, when you want to express the sentiment of constant copying in the case of someone owns the franchise, you call that milking.
Mmmh, delicious
0TBC4Bb.jpg

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, rather than ripoff, when you want to express the sentiment of constant copying in the case of someone owns the franchise, you call that milking.
Mmmh, delicious
0TBC4Bb.jpg
Also nonsense, milking is what happened after DS1.
KF, demons souls and DS1 were distinct enough both in feel and gameplay to be considered new and interesting takes on the metroidvania genre. DS2-3 and bloodborne are basically the same shit, not a single original thought there.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Mmmh, delicious
0TBC4Bb.jpg
KF, demons souls and DS1 were distinct enough both in feel and gameplay to be considered new and interesting takes on the metroidvania genre. DS2-3 and bloodborne are basically the same shit, not a single original thought there.

Bloodborne has at least a different art style, but other than that, yeah - same old, same old.

Crospy

Learned
I agree with you, just stated that milking fits the context of developers churning out clones of their own stuff better than ripoff.
I wouldn't say that DeS and DaS were that distinct, though. Dark Souls would have been made as a sequel to DeS if Sony didn't own the rights to it as they saw how popular the franchise could get and they wanted to make the pie larger by turning it multiplatform. DaS introduced a nice fully interlinked world that felt cohesive but it didn't really push the envelope in terms of its core gameplay mechanics (and neither did any of the other sequels). Not only that but the latter half of the game, past the lordvessel, is just godawful, particularly the demon's ruins and lost izalith as the devs ran out of time and just rushed everything. All in all, a very enjoyable ride till the end of anor londo, that you only finish past that just because you're a completionist wanting to see the end. DS2 was a bland rehash, and its highest points certainly aren't even close to the high points of both DaS and DeS, but at least it was more consistent right through the end.

Note that I don't necessarily see anything wrong with some milking when it comes to good franchises. It's not like we're drowning in games worth playing these days so even a rehash will do.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

The Surge is the newest sci-fi Action RPG set in the near-future from developer Deck 13. Slice and dismember your way deeper and deeper into CREO, an institution developed to save the world, but with disastrous consequences. The E3 Trailer introduces to a dystopian world based on a worst case scenario for Earth.

Fronted by Jonah Guttenberg, CREO sets out to reverse the detrimental atmospheric effects of global warming, firstly by repairing our damaged atmosphere, but as their ambitions grew and their plans began to fail, CREO set out to save itself...

Members of CREO’s workforce are fitted with expandable, powered exo-suits supplying the employee with both power and super-human strength. They are also able to attach new practical tool extensions to the exoskeleton.

Something in CREO went horribly wrong, and you as the player must use this exo-suit and a plethora of make-shift weapons and armor upgrades to survive. Slice and smash deeper and deeper into the mysterious mega-corporation to discover what happened, and how you can stop it.

In the E3 trailer, fight for the first time with our reluctant hero, discovering a few of the exo-suit modules that you can equip and upgrade. With a heavy emphasis on environmental storytelling and Deck13’s classic duel-style combat system expanded and enhanced with unique limb targeting mechanics, there are thousands of combinations of armor and make-shift weapons to dismantle, craft, and merge with to your exo-suit.

Exploit the synergy of man and machine when The Surge releases in 2017 on consoles and PC.

Beowulf

Arcane
I took a peek at this gameplay video. Assuming that they showed the most interesting part, it looks bland.
And it's not even sci -fi, but a generic "fi", as it's just their first game re-textured.

A terrible lack of imagination.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I...am actually intrigued. Enemies seem to have limited movesets tho plus your swings take way too little stamina.

Mozg

Arcane
Looks OK. Even if it's a complete copy of Lords of the Fallen I never played that shit, and a fiction-genre reskin is appreciated too. I think a standard System Shock Die-Hard-on-a-spaceship setup would make the lack of guns make a little more sense than being on dystopic Earth, but whatever.

lightbane

Arcane
It's still no Blame! game, but somewhat close. That "energy-to-health" implant seems a way bit too OP though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never played Lords of the Fallen but it reminds me of that in a different setting. If this also has Denuvo, I will end up never trying this just like LotF.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
^^ Are you all on drugs or something?

The game looks like garbage:
- The character looks like a walking circus. Crafting is pointless. Combat is bad.
- The exo-skeleton has no weight ... which is retarded in a game with mechs. This impression is reinforced by stupid moves like backward-jump-over-his-head and dashing ... cause exo-skeleton!?
- Hits have no impact on mobs cause poise is for pussies. Not to mention the "infinite" stamina ...
- Re-spawning enemies makes "sense" in fantasy setting like DaS but in this setting it's absolutely retarded ... re-spawning dead humans with exo-skeletons !? Who the fuck greenlighted this crap!?
- That boss makes sense because in the future every heavy duty robot will be equipped with rockets cause .... robots!? Press A for awesome.

This is the lamest DaS ripoff I ever seen. I don't know what they were trying to do but it looks like garbage.

They had an idea about exo-skeletons and shit (like ELEX and jet-packs) but one gimmick is not enough to sustain a game.

Fuck, I would love a proper Dead Space but this looks like a game that can kill a studio.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I like the chopping off enemy parts thing and then making them into proper equipment, but that's 15 minutes of someone trying to avoid saying "we made a SF Souls game" I didn't need in my life. Well, maybe I'm being unfair - it looks more like a Lords of the Fallen copy in a different setting. I don't know if that's even worse. :|

Where is Gop the days? He left the studio, didn't he?

Beastro

Arcane

That's actually a good memory. Thanks for that.
I loved that show as a kid. I re-watched some of it recently and I was pretty surprised at the themes it tackled. You don't see that sort of thing in cartoons for kids these days. It's rare enough in shows for adults.

Slavery, oppression and civil rights for minorities. Yeah, that show was good. Also surprisingly violent for a kids cartoon.

No parachutes popping out when aircraft got shot down.

Also, Chicago being the seat of a traitorous, Quisling puppet government. :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom