Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Surge - "sci-fi Dark Souls" from Lords of the Fallen devs

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
90% of Dark Souls fun cromes from the grimdark setting. I don't see the appeal in fighting piles of junk in scifi garages. But eh.

I thought it was about the super hard and fantastic combat. But now it is the setting?

Rabbid

Savant
I thought it was about the super hard and fantastic combat. But now it is the setting?

Actually, it is the story. The only thing missing is a rotating dialog wheel and a minigame, so you can choose between "yes" "no" and "maybe" by timing your clicks.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Just go full Larian.

4fzHs8u.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Deck13's upcoming hardcore Action-RPG The Surge comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on May 16, 2017. Today, the latest Target, Loot and Equip Trailer highlights the game's limb-slicing loot system in all its bloody, brutal glory.

The Surge gives players greater control over what they loot from defeated enemies. During combat, they can individually target specific body parts, which they can damage with a wise combination of vertical and horizontal attacks to then slice off - and what part they dismember directly determines what piece of equipment they loot. When approaching an enemy, players will make a difficult decision: do they target an unarmored body part for a shorter fight, or risk a lengthier, damaging battle for a chance at slicing off a shiny new piece of equipment?

Balancing risk and reward is core to succeeding in The Surge, and bold players will be rewarded well! The toughest enemies drop the most powerful weapons and armor, so if you see a piece of equipment you like the look of, you'll need to fight hard for it...or die trying.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
90% of Dark Souls fun cromes from the grimdark setting. I don't see the appeal in fighting piles of junk in scifi garages. But eh.

It is the combat (and if i may say so, level design), don't listen to the edgy spergs.

Setting did help a lot though. There was some stupid shit here and there but for the most part the game felt like Diablo (the first one) in 3D. Considering most Japanese games are cancer when it comes to the style or aesthetics it was really a saving grace.

The story felt like try hard "lol its obscure so its liek, deeyp and shit" crap but some people seem to swear by it. Whatever i guess.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The story felt like try hard "lol its obscure so its liek, deeyp and shit" crap but some people seem to swear by it. Whatever i guess.
Idk what's obscure about it, it's spelled out for you by the NPCs.

The various aspects of the setting that require more figuring out (And is p. cool stuff).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Sure, shooty mechanics would probably wreck this game, but why put something in a sci-fi setting if you're not going to do anything, gameplay-wise, that couldn't be done with swords+shields?

Novelty i guess.

The worrisome part is the gameplay. I'm not sure i like the setting but if the mechanics are right i would try the game. But that's a big if.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Looks like derivative dogshit. I don't even mind people ripping shit off, lord knows the Souls game rip off a ton of stuff, but the end product has to have some merit. This just looks like chinese concept art: the game. Messy, overly detailed visuals. Looks like it has randomly generated loot and a crafting system so that removes the individually designed, significant items that are a major component of the Souls games. Basically the game has no soul (kek).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
After Nioh we know that other developers can play with the Souls formula and get some interesting results so color me intrigued for this

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah, items are the primary determining factor of how a character plays and a lot of it comes from looting but there's no loot treadmill. It's kinda rare for something to be a complete upgrade over something else.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not to mention you have to match certain items with a particular build so a lot of loot is meant to be used for multiple characters/play troughs.

Lhynn

Arcane
The whole system where you have to waste time to target body parts is retarded. why cant you just kill them and loot whatever wasnt damaged without this gamey crap?

Mozg

Arcane
Sure, shooty mechanics would probably wreck this game, but why put something in a sci-fi setting if you're not going to do anything, gameplay-wise, that couldn't be done with swords+shields?

Cybernetic body stuff? You could do disguised bionics in a quasi-medieval fantasy setting but implanting a Sony-Raytheon S-500 Thagomizer in your butt is a solidified trope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom