Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Top Six Reasons Fallout 3 Is Better Than Fallout New Vegas

Black

Arcane
This is old but gold. The original site is dead so I had to travel back in time. Let's have a laugh together.

https://web.archive.org/web/2012061...ut-new-vegas-just-cant-surpass-fallout-3-yet/

6. Too many continuity issues. I understand that Fallout 3 isn’t related to Fallout New Vegas, but we ARE in the same universe here. And as such, there were plenty of strange details no one seems to be willing to account for. For instance, while it was good to see the Brotherhood of Steel still up and running, I expected their presence to be a lot bigger given how near to their home ground they were. And where was the Enclave?
4. Forced replay value.
3. Relatively limited story. Where with Fallout 3, you’d find both a larger story and a whole array of little stories. Whether you’re trying to help the Brotherhood of Steel wipe out the Enclave or you’re just out to save Megaton from an atomic fireball, you had all manner of stories.
First, it IS awesome that they got Wayne Newton to handle the voice of Mr. New Vegas. That’s great. It’s wonderful, it truly is. But that having been said, Mr. New Vegas is no Three Dog.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When New Vegas first came out I heard endlessly from "dirty casuals" how FO3 was better, but now-a-days even even they tend to comment that New Vegas was better or more memorable. Possible incline of species but unverified.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I played through both FO3 and FNV. They're both 0/10 games. Shit tier of the shittiest tier. I've no idea what you're memeing about here, FNV had nothing of the original Fallout games, not a single thing.

While I don't think NV is 0/10 i do think it gets over praised here.

The bigger question is why would you play through 0/10 games?

Trashos

Arcane
I played through both FO3 and FNV. They're both 0/10 games. Shit tier of the shittiest tier. I've no idea what you're memeing about here, FNV had nothing of the original Fallout games, not a single thing.

Assuming you have the capacity to like a FPS game (it was hard for me at the beginning), what are your grievances?

New Vegas is a 9+/10 game. World building, characters (half of them in the dlc, though, so if you haven't played them...), the best version of Fallout's skill system we ever got (all skills are useful, even better with some modding), different ways to handle quests (probably the best of its kind in truly open world games), hundreds of quests with many quality ones, excellent writing at places etc.

Took me a while to get into it, but now I think it's as awesome as the first ones, although in a different way, obviously.

Falksi

Arcane
Being serious, I enjoyed both games but being totally honest I much prefered my first playthrough of FO3 than New Vegas.

The atmosphere clicked with me more, and I particularly liked how the world was structured (so that exploration meant you really never knew where you was gonna end up) FO3 had more memorable areas too (the ship, the capital, the Oasis etc.)

I also prefered the tone & one particular annoyance I have with New Vegas is the different types of ammo. For me that just adds tedium not depth.

Yet to play Fallout 1 or 2, both on the to-play list after Arcanum. But I genuinely think the only shit Fallout game out there is Fallout 4. The rest all have something for someone based on their taste.

Dux

Arcane
I might be in the minority here but I never really liked Mr. New Vegas. His gravelly one-step-away-from-a-diabetic-coma voice just didn't click with me. That and he never really had anything interesting to say.

From what I can remember from Three Dog, he was just as bad if not worse. Three Dog. The fuck does that even mean?

Citizen

New Vegas must be really good, how else could the oblivion total conversion mod make it to the codex's top fifty? :troll:

On a serious note, I don't really think it's that good. World is interesting, quests are good, skillchecks are in place, but they're not the only thing that makes a game great RPG. NV's gameplay makes me vomit, it's bad. Probably worst shooter mechanics ever combined with zero understanding of leveldesign. I don't get how can people on codex can hate oblivion's gameplay and defend NV's.

And I love good shooters, so it's not just the case of "Ew, I hate FPS".

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I might be in the minority here but I never really liked Mr. New Vegas. His gravelly one-step-away-from-a-diabetic-coma voice just didn't click with me. That and he never really had anything interesting to say.
Guy seemed to be there specifically to hit on the old ladies in the post apoc Nevada.

Matticus

Educated
I wouldn't call FNV bad, because it's not. It's an above average game. But I will never understand all of the praise it gets.

Years after playing it I worked with 4 developers from FNV and it rapidly cemented why I felt this way originally.

Without the masses constantly reminding me, I could easily forget FNV existed. Meanwhile, it's obviously impossible for me to forget the first two games.

Trashos

Arcane
I also prefered the tone & one particular annoyance I have with New Vegas is the different types of ammo. For me that just adds tedium not depth.

It's an FPS. Nearly all the combat strategy it has, other than designing your character, is picking the right gear/bullets for each situation. And that's what you dislike?

Anyway, below Hard difficulty bullets don't make much of a difference, although they are crucial on Very Hard. You can still play an Energy character if you don't want to deal with that.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane

It's an FPS. Nearly all the combat strategy it has, other than designing your character, is picking the right gear/bullets for each situation. And that's what you dislike?

Anyway, below Hard difficulty bullets don't make much of a difference, although they are crucial on Very Hard. You can still play an Energy character if you don't want to deal with that.

It was just faff which felt pointless mate. Micromanagement which didn't really add anything, and just meant you had to swap ammo now & again.

I've always been one who hates ammo & inventory management tbf. Even collecting ammo in dumber games like Mass Effect 2 annoys me, compared to recharging ala Mass Effect 1. Guess it's just part of playing all those Shoot Em Ups in the 80's & 90's where infinite ammo was common place.

I know Fallout is about survival & yep get & like it's place there & don't mind it in a singular capacity. But having several & changing between ammo types just felt too much, & annoyed me more than anything.

Okagron

Prophet
Forced replay value
Whoever posted this just screams to be a Bethestard that is too used to be able to do every single thing in one playthrough, which is fucking stupid in games like these. The branching paths in New Vegas is one of my favorite things in the game because it allowed me to pick the faction that would fit the beliefs of my character, you know, actual roleplaying.

And continuity issues? Fallout 3 has probably the worst continuity issues in the series. Why the fuck is BoS in the East Coast, aren't they fighting the NCR at that time? Wasn't the Enclave completely destroyed in Fallout 2? If anything, New Vegas has way better continuity than 3.

Last, Mr. New Vegas is way better than Three Dog. Mr. New Vegas sounds like someone you want to hang with, while Three Dog sounds like a creepy (he somehow knows everything you do in the wastleland) asshole that i would just punch in the face the first second i saw him.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It was just faff which felt pointless mate. Micromanagement which didn't really add anything, and just meant you had to swap ammo now & again.

I've always been one who hates ammo & inventory management tbf. Even collecting ammo in dumber games like Mass Effect 2 annoys me, compared to recharging ala Mass Effect 1. Guess it's just part of playing all those Shoot Em Ups in the 80's & 90's where infinite ammo was common place.

I know Fallout is about survival & yep get & like it's place there & don't mind it in a singular capacity. But having several & changing between ammo types just felt too much, & annoyed me more than anything.
Storyfaggots are cancer.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Being serious, I enjoyed both games but being totally honest I much prefered my first playthrough of FO3 than New Vegas.

The atmosphere clicked with me more, and I particularly liked how the world was structured (so that exploration meant you really never knew where you was gonna end up) FO3 had more memorable areas too (the ship, the capital, the Oasis etc.)

Bethesda have this theme park style world design that really works for a lot of people and is one of their biggest assets. I'm playing the FO4 DLC right now actually and the Nuka World thing is some of Bethesda's best work in that area, and it's just stunning how well they pull that kind of thing off. I think a lot of their fans are focused on that particular ability of theirs, which is why New Vegas' relative lack of that is something a lot of them harp on.

Lurker47

Savant

Bethesda have this theme park style world design that really works for a lot of people and is one of their biggest assets. I'm playing the FO4 DLC right now actually and the Nuka World thing is some of Bethesda's best work in that area, and it's just stunning how well they pull that kind of thing off. I think a lot of their fans are focused on that particular ability of theirs, which is why New Vegas' relative lack of that is something a lot of them harp on.
It's less of a style and more of a crutch. It only seems especially good in Nuka World because it's less horribly off-putting.

Diggfinger

Arcane
My take: New Vegas was great, lost countless hours in that game with several build options etc. (and yes, I admit: parts of Bathesdas's engine were quite good already, I like how VATs was turned into 1st person:oops::oops::oops:).

However, to me Vegas' DLCs SUCKED ASS. ALL of them.

The one at the Indian resort thing was pointless and stupid, the 1st about the burning man was linear like a fucking Final Fantasy title and conclusion was stupid...Old World BLues had fucking repeating quests/mission (go to building x, start simulation, interact with the computers etc.). It was so fucking repetitive I wanted to blow my brains out. (and despite Avelone's good writing I thought the penis/toe jokes were stupid and out of place).

Only DLC I cant say sucks for sure is the horror one because I didnt finish it. It least there were no fucking penis jokes, though.

(Ps. hail all penises:outrage:)

PorkBarrellGuy

New Vegas is not the best Fallout, but it's not complete garbage and after the steaming turd that was FO3 that was enough to make me happy and cause me to sink hundreds of hours into it. New Vegas was not perfect by any means, but it was playable and came close to being a return to form at times for the Fallout series in terms of writing and gameplay (though it could never entirely shake being saddled with Gamebryo FPS crap, Obsidian worked with what they were given and I have surprisingly few strong complaints).

Honest Hearts was short and linear but good. I wish there were more to do in Zion because it's so goshdarn pretty. Dead Money was rock solid and probably the best of the DLCs. OWB's humor got slightly grating at times but overall the DLC wasn't god awful - its faults lie mostly in play-balance as OWB's goodies are possibly too fucking good to ignore and unlike DM's vending machines you can exploit OWB's goodies forever after completing the DLC. LR was sloggy but I didn't mind Ulysses as much as I thought I would.

FO3 was a godawful piece of shit that made no sense at all most of the time and the statement that it was ever somehow better than NV blows my fucking mind with its ignorance and stupidity. Nothing in FO3 made fucking sense to me. Not the story, not the environment, not the gameplay and not the dialogue. NOTHING.

4cd497fad4.png

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom