Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by SausageInYourFace, Sep 26, 2015.

?

What is your favorite Ultima game?

1. Ultima I

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ultima II

0.4%
  3. Ultima III

0.8%
  4. Ultima IV

11.7%
  5. Ultima V

18.3%
  6. Ultima VI

8.3%
  7. Ultima VII: The Black Gate

29.2%
  8. Ultima VII: Serpent Isle

15.8%
  9. Ultima VIII

3.3%
  10. Ultima IX: What is a Paladin?

1.3%
  11. Ultima KC

10.8%
  1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Actually that's not true, U6 also has karma. You get free heals from healers if it's high, and can't meditate at shrines if it's low.

^ Top  
  2. Tweed Savant Patron

Tweed
    Unless of course you're Lord British, then you have no flaws except for being rather oblivious to the things going on in your own kingdom. It's ok though because anyone who questions you or the state religion always end very badly for some reason.

^ Top  
  3. Grauken Prussian automaton Patron

Grauken
    Hot take, the in-game Lord British is still a more sane person than the out-game Richard Garriott, even if both seem to suffer from the occasional bouts of dementia

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    The first half of this video was a waste of time, but then he did a great job explaining the actual appeal of the Ultima gameplay, instead of the usual focus on innovation, plots, and the good old "they were like the original open-world RPGs, bro, good for their times".

^ Top  
  5. BLOBERT Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

BLOBERT
    BROS U5 TOTALLY HAS A REP SYSTEM

YOU CANT GET SHRINE MANTRAS FROM NPCS IF YOU ACT LIKE AN ASS HOLDER

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. AdvancedHero Educated

AdvancedHero
    This dude has great videos. I also discovered him via Wizardry. I highly recommend those vidyas.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TigerKnee Prophet

TigerKnee
    If you want Ultima IV / V with good gameplay in exchange for the experimental morality bits, try The Magic Candle (first one was the best)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    The Magic Candle despite superficial similarities doesn't scratch the Ultima itch at all in my opinion, but it definitely has better combat and character progression, it's a really underrated gem. Perhaps all it needed to become a more known classic (besides better sequels, of course) could be proper character creation options, that's a little theory I have.

I think games like Sword of the Samurai, Darklands and even Morrowind, despite looking completely different at first glance, are closer to the classic Ultima games than The Magic Candle. More similar tile-based games would be 2400 AD and to a lesser extent Wasteland.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. index.php Cipher

index.php

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Comte Arcane

Comte
    This looks really fucking cool

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ultima IV: Advent of the Trinity - a U4 fan-made expansion pack in development since 2018: https://cambragol.github.io/advent-of-the-trinity/

Playable online here: https://cambragol.github.io/advent-of-the-trinity/demo

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. AdvancedHero Educated

AdvancedHero
    What's up with the strange angle? I can't even play it for more than a minute before it gives me a headache.

^ Top  
  13. Tweed Savant Patron

Tweed
    Click the start demo button.

I tried to go into a dungeon, it crashed. Giving me a very authentic MS-DOS mode 40 experience.

^ Top  
  14. Grauken Prussian automaton Patron

Grauken
    what are you talking about, its normal Ultima top-down?

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tweed Savant Patron

Tweed
    One thing I already hate about this is that npcs keep asking me for my name. It's totally fucking up my rhythm and now everyone in Britannia thinks I'm named Job.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    He means the "monitor lifted sideways" angle from before you click the "start demo" button to slide the screen into place. The game can still be played that way if you don't notice the button and just start pressing movement keys. I made the same mistake :M

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    So.

I finally took the time to listen to that podcast. It is the first time I hear people explicitingly mention me on the Internet. An exhilarating experience.

* WTF Dragon mentions him and I are "at odds". I do not consider myself at odds, with you, WTF. I just consider yourself.. odd. The fact that you make podcasts apologetic to Ultima IX is one thing, I too think it is a great game in many ways that failed however to reply to fans expectations. What is odd, however, is that you make a lengthy podcast about how Ultima Forever (it's the iOS F2P game) is "still missed", have been defending pay to win positions publicly, and have been basically Portalarium's media guy in exchange of "stuff" until they decided to screw you with your box too.

This is all very odd, that's all.

But you maintain a website I still visit weekly and do the efforts of a podcast that can be entertaining, so you're an okay guy. Just weird.
    Speaking of the podcast

* The interviewee is Chlorthos. I have nothing but great things to say about Chlorthos. Besides me, he was the only doing work on Eriadain and was the first member of the team. The only actual other member of the game. He sent often midi music files that were of great quality and fit the tone of the game perfectly. Chlorthos, unlike any other, actually worked on the Alter U9/Eriadain project.
    * He mentions Avatus a lot as the leader who decided the "split" and decided to form their own band working on Redemption. I remember well how this happened. It was just a few weeks later some guy decided he would be coding his own engine from scratch, then Avatus suggested we converted Ultima Online to single player. Avatus provided us a lot with snarky comments and made me an actual character of a retarded fanfiction he wrote. But he did not do any work. He did not produce anything. He did not contribute, in any fucking way, to the project.

It's that guy they all followed to make U9 Redemption

* Apparently, at some point, Avatus completely disappeared off the Internet. What a fucking surprise, and nothing was made but some world stuff and placeholder dialog. I am shocked that the man who contributed nothing and yet they all elected as leader would do such a thing and it would endanger Redemption.
    Absolutely stunning twist.
    Or maybe not.

* Chlorthos blames the failure of the project on "scope creep". Quite ironic, considering they all left my project because it was not too ambitious and I was thinking, that, you know, turning a MMO into a single player or coding a new engine from scratch to make a fucking Ultima game was a bit much for young adults still going to college and only having like one or two hours a day in their spare time. They kept asking for scope creep and I wouldn't give in, especially since I was the only one doing the actual game.

It failed because of scope creep ? No fucking way !

But the most hilarious bit comes later.

* At one point in the podcast, Chlorthos mentions how he is very proud of something he wrote on Ultima IX Redemption tied the whole thing together. He mentions the Guardian's origins as something he proudly wrote : "the bones of Zog are actually a former avatar from an ancient people that worshipped Pride instead of humility". I am glad that you find this story, great, Chlorthos. I do think it's great too. And you're even honest enough to say you had a little help to come up with it and write it. No kidding. I wrote that story. It was part of the Eriadain design document, which you had access to.

This is the thing the last alive member of the U9 Redemption is most proud of.

I guess we'll be "at odds" from now on :o

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Yeah. I listened to those.

I really do not know what to say. It is true the game was a technical achievement, and WTF is right when he says it predated a lot of gaming trends.

But they all fail to mention what was the actual game like, besides, you know, beyond its time.

You can be ahead of your time and shit. Ultima IX proved that.

edit : okay, I'm harsh. U9 was not THAT bad. But it was still the biggest disappointment of my gaming life.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, it fucking was. With bells on.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    I do not think so.

It was a very strange game. Bugs aside, it was great technically and the first non procedurally generated 3D open world of this kind I can remember.

It was also a more than decent Ocarina of Time clone. The game is structured exactly like a Zelda game. New town, new dungeon filled with puzzles, unlock new abilities. Once in a while, a plot development happens. Then, a final dungeon. Overall weakly structured and shallow story.
    It would have been great as any title, except an Ultima. I replayed Ultima 7 recently, to completion. After redoing this game, it's no wonder fans had different expectations for Ultima IX. Ultima IX showed the finger to everything that made the greatest game in the series, great, to do its own thing. And this happened because poor management.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grauken Prussian automaton Patron

Grauken
    I blame Garriott

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. V_K Arcane

V_K
    What kind would that be exactly?
    Also, from what I remember it wasn't really open. There were no loading screens, but progression was extremely linear, with only a small portion of the world accessible at any given time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It was the Underworld Ascendant of it's time. A rush job thrown together because they ran out of time, money and ideas. It was fucking dreadful as a stand alone game, let alone as a conclusion to a story begun with U7.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Grauken Prussian automaton Patron

Grauken
    While Ultima 9 was terrible, it still was a fully functional game. The Underworld Ascendant of it's time was more Descent to Undermountain or other barely functional "games"

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)