Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

4X The Unsurpassed Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri thread

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by The Brazilian Slaughter, Jul 30, 2015.

?

Favorite Faction?

1. Gaia's Stepdaughters

17.5%
  2. Human Hive

11.6%
  3. University of Planet

32.3%
  4. Morgan Industries

18.0%
  5. Spartan Federation

6.3%
  6. The Lord's Believers

10.1%
  7. U.N Peacekeepers

4.2%
  1. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    That's nice. Now a Morgan Green / Wealth with free upkeep in fungi doesn't sound so bad after all.
    I always have trouble keeping enough defense for Morgans. They're way too gimped on Support.

^ Top  
  2. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Gaians get +1 Planet off the bat and can go mindworm hunting right from the start. An early mindworm rush by Gaians is no joke.

^ Top  
  3. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    You say that, but it's very RNG.
    As unlikely as it may seem I've had games where I only succeeded in capturing the first guaranteed worm as Gaians.
    After that, I must've killed a dozen before getting a second captive.

Anyway found another quirk:
    Based on Kalin's idea of defensive probe team (basically give your probe team armor) for some reason I cannot designate them as defenders
    So if there are other military units in the stack, they will take the blow instead of the Probe team
    e.g 0-2-1 Trance Probe Team stacked with 1-1-2 Empath Rover
    if a mindworm attacks the stack, the rover takes the blow instead of the Trance Probe Team

^ Top  
  4. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Gaians have a good excuse to go mindworm hunting. Other factions, less so. Native lifeforms are the only ones who can get to Elite status (or equivalent) for Gaians.

^ Top  
  5. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    I got Air Power as Morgan, prototyped an empath Jet to take care of worms more efficiently.
    And suddenly the base riots.

:hmmm: So Air units automatically counts as leaving borders for Free Market? That sucks.

^ Top  
  6. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Yep. Air units always generate unhappy people. That was in at least one of the Civs as well.

• Rage Rage x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    I wonder why they did that, since the reality of the modern world seems to be that most people don't think you're at war unless you have boots on the ground.

^ Top  
  8. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    The only counter to this bullshit is to build the Punishment Sphere and use that colony exclusively as army HQ :lol:
    Anyways, I started another run with Democracy/Green/Wealth Morgan and it felt somewhat easier to manage the low support. The base doesn't riot anymore when I deploy Empath Jet to take care of worms.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    ^ Top  
  9. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Bad placement right at start. Great Dune never make a good neighbourhood to begin, as you are going to spread your colonies round and round your HQ.
    If you start in or around Great Dunes, it's enough of an excuse to restart right then and there.

But if you dont want to, you really should move north to the shore and make a city there to exploit the monolith. Still bad location anyway.

The riverfarm on left side of the colony pod is a good place as it exploit the jungle, the river, the sea resource, and it's near enough.
    Barring that, if you can spare a former to remove fungal, the fogged fungal border shore next to the fogged sea resource is a good place to exploit two sea resources and the jungle.
    Also barring former and fungal remover, the clean tile just outside of the border next to above tile, is a good strategical place: It control the channel, it can access two sea resource and the jungle. All its weakness is the initial tile's weak resource. The fungal site mentioned above cant control the channel completely.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)