Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Vaarna_Aarne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Because nips gotta nip.

VC1 is tolerable because all the anime tropes are downplayed - they exist but they aren't showed to your face. The guns are somewhat realistic, soldiers actually wear uniforms, the protagonist are teenagers because they've volunteered in a militia and the Valkyr's are an ancient myth. As far as I've understood, each following media product (game, tv-show, comic books) have gotten worse and worse in this aspect. Gotta pander to that otaku crowd to get that sweet sweet yen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    Look if you worry about the story in a Valkyria Chronicles game then you're gonna have a tough time. The first game's story is probably the best out of all of them, and even that's a broken mess of jumbled themes and moral messages, peppered with hypocritical animu cliches about the power of friendship and camaraderie and such.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Not so much the story as just the setting really just the atmosphere of the implied history. Europa was Europe in the 1930s, including the associations between the Jews and the Darcsens. I thought that was pretty cool.

Now it seems to have been established that Europa is as static technologically as the Star Wars universe. It's always been a Magitek/Dieselpunk mash up and it always will be.

I mean, we'll see how it goes, but I don't see how went from quad--pedal mechs in the early 1800s to tanks in the early 1900s.

^ Top  
  4. TigerKnee Prophet

TigerKnee
    Just shut off your brain and enjoy the cool tanks and uniforms and maybe boobs unless you swing the other direction.

Also this new game is supposed to be a completely new universe or something so I don't think there's any timeline connection any more to go from mechs -> WW2 Tanks.

^ Top  
  5. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Even though this was released in 2008, some aspects of its story remain relevant in this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't understand why they didn't show which enemies would be visible on your map from your starting positions when it's time to deploy. Whenever I went in with a bad/obviously suboptimal setup, I just reloaded. Why make it minor guesswork?

When it came to weapon customization, I found it hard to pass up anything that didn't give me more range. Killing things before they have a chance to hurt you is the way to go imo.

Anyway, pretty tacticool campaign for the most part. I didn't like the mission where you had to tediously take out that giant tank's radiators turn by turn, and the one where you have to take out two tanks on the opposite side of the map is the same without using metaknowledge to position units to take them out right after they spawn in. Wasn't surprised to see those two show up as google autocomplete options. Missions went by way faster after I got my Valkyria powers, which coincided with the unlocking of the double movement scout potential. Completing a mission or skirmish within one turn is nice for a bit; fortunately this happened when things were wrapping up. I'm not going to bother to see if the balance holds up with the new game plus hard skirmishes since I've had my fill. Too bad about the mobile sequels and the upcoming jrpg. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

^ Top  
  6. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Azure Revolution is going to have permadeath? That is ... weird, but interesting.

^ Top  
  7. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    God damn the pseudohistory in VC is insufferable.

So what's the fun way to play this? Should I try to SSS rank every stage, or just plow through with my B on the tutorial, or what?

^ Top  
  8. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Just play normally until you get to the point where you just want to finish it already, then go for fastest completion possible. That's how I did it and I wasn't hurting for XP or money.

I get the impression that a lot of people don't particularly enjoy the playstyle that's necessary to complete missions as quickly as possible.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    The villain was p. progressive in the end, he didn't give a fuck when
    Show Spoiler
    Princess of Gallia turned out Jewish Darcsen

^ Top  
  10. fraxli Educated

fraxli
    New information about Valkyria: Azure Revolution
    http://gematsu.com/2016/01/valkyria...iler-composer-videos-new-setting-demo-details
    Show Spoiler

Sega has released an extended teaser trailer, two song making-of videos featuring composer Yasunori Mitsuda and singer Sarah Alainn, and new details on Valkyria: Azure Revolution for PlayStation 4.

Get the information below.

Jutland Kingdom

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_002.jpg

[​IMG]

The main characters’ country.

Ruled by heroine Ophelia’s father, the king through a constitutional monarchy.

The king is head of state, but holds little political power. The House of Representatives and House of Lords with the country constitution form the administering royal parliament.

Located in the southern part of Europe, it has a warm climate and the agriculture flourishes out of the abundant soil, but the land lacks resources of Ragnite. Because of the hardworking diligence of its people, it is a nation founded on great craftsmanship.

In the Holy Era year 1852, four major countries met in alliance focusing on the Rus Empire, later called the “BRuFH Alliance,” and decided a baseless blockade to stop the importation of Ragnite, leading to extreme poverty. That became a big cause of the war that began the following year.

Despite being a founded on great craftsmanship, Magic Arts Industry production stopped across the board as a result of exhausted resources, and the city’s “Azure Light” disappeared.

Maxim

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_003.jpg

[​IMG]

A direct man who fights under the military rule of Rus Empire Emperor Claudius. As a young general of the empire, he’ll often stand before Amleth. He was born in Empire territory, and became a young soldier when selected for military officer training by Emperor Claudius. As a result of an experiment where Ragnite was implanted in his body, he is able to use Magic Arts of overwhelming power.

Sega also went up with a page detailing the game’s “Battle Demo Ver. 1.0” included with first-print copies of Valkyria Chronicles Remaster.

■ About

In Battle Demo Ver. 1.0, you can play two missions:

• Mission 01: “Morda Practice Fight” – A tutorial mission.
    • Mission 02: “Morda Suppression Fight” – An actual mission with a higher degree of difficulty.
    Clear Mission 01 to unlock Mission 02.

■ Mission

01. Briefing

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_001.jpg

[​IMG]

During the Briefing phase, you’ll receive a description of the selected mission and can check its flow and strategy objectives.

02. Mission Start

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_002.jpg

[​IMG]

By controlling the player character, you can move around the field and battle. You’ll clear the stage when you achieve the mission goal.

03. Result

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_003.jpg

[​IMG]

After achieving the mission goal, the results will be displayed on screen. Your rank is determined based on the number of enemies defeated and your clear time.

■ LeGION Battle System

Freely Run Around the Battlefield and Forestall the Enemy

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_004.jpg

[​IMG]

This game uses the “LeGION” battle system. You’ll face a large number of enemy symbols arranged on the battlefield. By shooting and using your sub-weapon, aim to create a better condition on the battlefield.

Close Combat

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_005.jpg

[​IMG]

When you approach an enemy at close range, you’ll fight using melee weapons and Magic Arts. Through high-power action, annihilate your enemies in battle.

Create a Strategy

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_006.jpg

[​IMG]

Since the situation created on the field has a significant influence on later battles, strategic action is required.

■ Reactions

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_007.jpg

[​IMG]

Depending on the situation, characters will have four different “reactions.” By taking advantage of each action’s features and the state of battle, it will be easier to induce the intended reaction.

• Surprised – Triggered when something unexpected occurs. Because there is a temporary opening when someone is surprised, it can be used as a chance to attack.
    • Impatient – Triggered when in an adverse situation. Since your action frequency and motivation decreases when impatient, you can reduce the potential of a counterattack from the enemy.
    • Angry – Triggered when hostility towards the target is increased. Although anger strengthens attack, defense is decreased, so caution is required.
    • Determined – Triggered when protection awareness is increased. Since defense increases when you’re determined, defensive action is recommended.
    ■ Near-Death

image: http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Valkyria-AR_01-22-16_Battle-Demo_008.jpg

[​IMG]

When the HP of a party member reaches zero, he or she will enter a “dying” state and a death countdown will begin. By successfully “rescuing” party members, it is possible to revive them. However, if a party member’s death countdown reaches zero, they will enter a “dead” state and be withdrawn from battle, never again to be used during missions.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    While this may not be a VC game it may not be a utter failure.

^ Top  
  12. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Really nice how consistently commentators say "Europe" instead of "Europa."

^ Top  
  13. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    That was the original Codex consensus. Then they announced things like "character permadeath" and "actions in one battlefield affecting later battlefields." Consequently the ranks are breaking a bit.

^ Top  
  14. Avellion Erudite

Avellion

Here is a longer video of it, if you are willing to stomach 40 minutes of decline. No commentary though.

The AI takes stupidity to a whole new level.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    ^ Top  
  15. Leshy Educated

Leshy
    Hmm... As much I'd love an action RPG in the Valkyria setting, melee combat really feels wrong here. Valkyria: Chronicles was all about trenches, cover and maneuvering. Azure seem so generic :(

^ Top  
  16. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Melee would be ok if they kept it turn based. I thought Valkyria Chronicles had a really good turn based combat system. Real time just doesn't feel right here.

^ Top  
  17. TedNugent Arcane

TedNugent
    What the fuck is that final fantasy garbage. I loved Valkyria Chronicles....

^ Top  
  18. Puukko Magister

Puukko
    Hah, god damn it. Found a 4 turn strategy for Chapter 4 but it relies on lvl 2 Lancaars to deal an exact amount of damage, and mine are lvl 3. Oh well.

^ Top  
  19. Kazuki Arcane

Kazuki
    Combat animation is pretty bad for JRPG standard, what the fuck they are thinking for switching this franchise into another shitty Final Fantasy clone.

Atleast the combat animation will be tolerable for turn-based, it looks very shitty for Action JRPG.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    They should have learned from Nintendo's Metroid fiasco that you shouldn't greenlight spin offs that depart from the fundamental design principles of the series unless core fans are sated. Otherwise you're heading into the market against a lot of antagonism.

^ Top  
  21. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I finished the game and now I've moved onto the Selvaria DLC. Took around 45 hours in total, and those hours included retries and skirmishes.

I really like the game's presentation and art style (but only when playing it in 4K, with the no canvas/no borders/no streaks and high-res character mods). It played really well on mouse and keyboard, with some awkwardness in menus and driving the tanks. The turn-based nature of the combat was really well done, and should be used as a model for other games like this. Imagine a 3D Commandos that used a system like this.

My main criticisms would be the cutsey-ness of the characters and storytelling. Conversations often lead nowhere, there's a lot of bullshit about vegetables and pig creatures, and most of the latter part of the game involves characters stood around moralising at each other.

Main story was pretty good though, would have been better if they didn't use real worldy terms like 'Gallia' (e.g. Gaul/France) and 'Europa', and if the map didn't look like a near match for western Europe. The Valkyria/Darcsen stuff was so different from our history that I don't know why they just didn't make the whole thing a unique world instead of some weird hybrid of WW2 like it is now.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    It's bizarre how they took names of fairly obscure Dutch and Belgian cities for their country and city names.

Overall the animu is better.

^ Top  
  23. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    :notsureifserious:

^ Top  
  24. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean

:hmmm:

^ Top  
  25. HoboForEternity Watch over avatarless peasants Patron

HoboForEternity
    so azure is an action rpg? not SRPG? i enjoyed the first game on PC despite moronic animu story.

this is wrong, so wrong

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)