Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Vaarna_Aarne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    The obvious advantage of a dog medic is that it'll be able to travel more distance in a single turn than a person.

^ Top  
  2. BreadGrill Literate

BreadGrill
    I hope the dog medic is actually playable and not just a cutscene mascot animal like that winged bacon. The ragnaid canister and bag kit bodes well though.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    But will the game have torpedo tits?

^ Top  
  5. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    No.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dzupakazul Savant

Dzupakazul
    Does Raita still even work on the artstyle of the Valkyria games?

^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014

He's producer at Atlus who "managing SEGA's JP lineup." :shittydog:

I wonder if there are politics inside the SEGA group about who should handle PC publishing of Japanese games. Atlus USA? SEGA Europe?

^ Top  
  8. BreadGrill Literate

BreadGrill
    The VC4 announcement got me motivated on working on the VC3 English Patch Fix and I managed to get all the technical stuff that stopped my progress before out of the way. Hopefully I can finish this up before VC4 gets released, but we'll see.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. [Unknown] Barely Literate

[Unknown]
    Although it seems a bit of a different path, you might be interested in this effort:
    http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=23839

I think a direct retranslation from Japanese would be ideal, but need to find a translator still. If you look at the screenshots (https://goo.gl/pY4Y4z), you can see several translated things that the previous patch didn't do, and IMHO better text fitting in the UI. I hated VC2's crazy abbreviations...

Anyway, if you want to edit that previous translation - here's some detail on the file formats involved:
    https://gist.github.com/unknownbrackets/78c4631a4091044d381432ffb7f1bae4
    (you'll need this to be able to change the pointers and text lengths.)

You may also want to take the menu patch (https://goo.gl/uuZq8o), and merge some of the other improvements. But be warned: I'm pretty sure some of the data files in the other group's patch weren't from E2 or are otherwise missing changes, so merging some of the data is less straight-forward.

-[Unknown]

^ Top  
  10. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Direct translation from Moon Runes is never a good idea. It just creates this crazy nonsense, nonlanguage, that only weeaboos understand. It's much better to ground the translation in European/American idioms and culture as much as possible without doing violence to the original material.

^ Top  
  11. [Unknown] Barely Literate

[Unknown]
    By direct translation - I meant not going from moon runes to Chinese and then to English. I've also read some of it may have visited Russian during that journey, but not sure if that's true. Literal translations are bad, but Google Translate Sings is even worse.

I think Valkyria Chronicles 1 had a fairly good translation, and prefer the spirit of that. The translation patch for VC3 available now is more literal, in the places where it isn't confused. A very simple example from the menu: you could equip tanks with a "Mortar" in VC1 and VC2, but the other group translated the exact same thing as "Howitzer" in VC3. It's possibly more correct, but it just doesn't jive.

The patch I'm working on follows series consistency much better, but doesn't do any dialog yet.

-[Unknown]

^ Top  
  12. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    This was the livestream

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I wish those Japs would shut the fuck up!

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    [​IMG]

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Kitty Kitty x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Eyes on the ass, soldier.

(also seems like they're like barefoot shoes)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Question:

I want to play Valkyria Chronicles 1 for the first time. Is the whatever balance patch some fan made a good idea for a first-timer? Does it any way expect familiarity with the core game? Are there situations where the original in-game instructions / tips etc are predicated on the original balance?

^ Top  
  17. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    I would advise for your first time to play the game in it's original state, as the difficulty will mostly result from your unfamiliarity with the missions. While it will be on the easy side (if you are tactically-able), I would recommend you to start playing it this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Slimu Savant Patron

Slimu
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I was reading about the Imperial Onslaught mod and it seems to fix the problem with being forced to rush to finish the missions. Anybody tried it? I remembered it annoyed me that to get a high rank, you had to rush and abuse orders (or tactics, can't remember exactly the name).

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    What makes me a bit wary of the Imperial Onslaught mod is that the UI doesn't really seem to support the ammo changes. I was doing a quick hackjob to fix the scout rush thing, but after setting the turn limits I looked at the fields for specific reward distribution (mission rank, killing aces, and base reward) and thought "fuck that". So here is a mod that ONLY CHANGES turn requirements for mission rank and mission reward distribution while leaving everything else vanilla, shamelessly lifted from Imperial Onslaught. Just move game_info_field.mxe into *\Valkyria Chronicle\data\mx\ and overwrite. Very first mission has an overly generous turn limit, but that's just there to confirm mod is working.

People on these very boards seem very pleased with Gallian Crossfire, which Imperial Onslaught is based on - in rough terms Imperial Onslaught minus the ammo changes and the mission rank/reward adjustment. Based on the listed changes I imagine with good reason. I'll probably make a small modmod of that pretty soon, adding mission rank/reward adjustments and giving alicia/largo/rosie back their command points and subtracting accordingly from the maps - this second change being objectively for the worse but also being completely idiot proof, you'll have to have these characters in your squad again (And why not? They're better than regular units of the same class), but on the other hand you don't have to take care not to break your game.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)