Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
v7xwgn.jpg

Finally.

Chuck Norris

Augur
Nice photoshop.
Actually not nice. It's just way too obvious.
Also, this game is under development and every idiot in the planet knows that. People are waiting for a release date, trailer , information. Something like that. A simple announcement is no big deal.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
i see he's given up on forks

oh... also: good luck with that half life stuff... never got what people found so great about those shooters, really

MetalCraze

Arcane
Half-Life went from an OK shooter to the Episode 2. What do you think? That bitch Alyx that you can't just shoot and play the game - the nerd's dream apparently. You gotta care about her too. Give HL3 to Bioware they will make it a logical conclusion.
Gordon going from a badass motherfucker to a pussy-licker. Fuck yeah.

ChristofferC

Magister
I like the Half Life 2 games. Sure, they're no Max Payne or Far Cry or F.E.A.R, but they are pretty good.

thesoup

Arcane
Half-Life went from an OK shooter to the Episode 2. What do you think? That bitch Alyx that you can't just shoot and play the game - the nerd's dream apparently. You gotta care about her too. Give HL3 to Bioware they will make it a logical conclusion.
Gordon going from a badass motherfucker to a pussy-licker. Fuck yeah.
Gordon is in no way, shape or form a badass motherfucker. Or even a character.

DraQ

Arcane
Or even a character.
This.
Gordon is first and foremost player's avatar and everything about HL tries to not interfere with this function. He doesn't speak, he doesn't even grunt or scream when hurt, player never sees anything from any other perspective, but Gordon's eyes.

Gordon is effectively a character-shaped player envelope.

The only character like qualities he has are name, face and topic of his doctoral thesis.

MetalCraze

Arcane
going from a badass motherfucker to a pussy-licker.
Being a badass mofo and licking a woman's pussy are not mutually exclusive.
Not when one is doing that from under a heel

In 98 Gordon just opened the door and shot every fucker inside
Today he just watches as Alyx tries to crawl through that door while trying to make those polygons of her look KEEEEEWT ^___^ and stuffies

Bioshock Infinite is Half Life 3

thesoup

Arcane
Or even a character.
This.
Gordon is first and foremost player's avatar and everything about HL tries to not interfere with this function. He doesn't speak, he doesn't even grunt or scream when hurt, player never sees anything from any other perspective, but Gordon's eyes.

The only character like qualities he has are name, face and topic of his doctoral thesis.
Try explaining that to your average 1337 gam0r. Mr. Freeman regularly wins every "BEST CHARACTER EVA" voting competition.
I tried telling people it's the game they really like, not the character, but to no avail because Gordon Freeman is totally not in any way like the Doom marine.

TripJack

Hedonist
of course he's nothing like doomguy, doomguy has facial expressions, pain sounds, and a death scream

DraQ

Arcane
Or even a character.
This.

Try explaining that to your average 1337 gam0r. Mr. Freeman regularly wins every "BEST CHARACTER EVA" voting competition.
I tried telling people it's the game they really like, not the character, but to no avail because Gordon Freeman is totally not in any way like the Doom marine.
Well, he fills a different role in backstory, being scientist rather than trained popamoler, but it doesn't make him a full blown character, not to mention he turns out to be a natural popamoler after all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Funny enough I have zero desire to play HL3. Still haven't played Portal 2. Valve games are fairly mediocre -- they just cover that with a lot of polish and marketing. The game play itself on nearly all of their games is bland and generic. I'll play Dota 2 but that's Dota... Valve didn't design it. Of course, aside from the Half-Life series they really didn't design any other of 'their' games, either.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

DarthBehemoth

Learned
NO MORE FUCKING VEHICLE SECTIONS.

HL1> HL2 for this reason.
HL2 ep 1 has no vehicle sequences, thank god. I myself enjoyed the Half-life games, story, while somewhat standard is interesting and thanks to valve's narrative, really managed to keep me interested. I agree that the episodes (in paticulair EP2) were mostly about babysitting Alyx.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom