Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
GOTY: Kingdom Come: Deliverance
VR GOTY: Beat Saber
Labor of Love: Stardew Valley
Best Developer: Klei
Best Environment: Subnautica
Better With Friends: Overcooked 2
Best Alternate History: Civilization 6
Most Fun With a Machine: Euro Truck Simulator 2

Most of the categories only had sucky options, so I voted the least sucky one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Solid Snail

Learned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=65&v=yzDTdBsW1GU

Those guys are just scam artists at this point.

Anyway I just finished Valkyria Chronicles 4. I really enjoyed VC1, I appreciated the simple story and the fact it wasn't filled with garbage anime tropes while having an anime component that, for me, wasn't too heavy to swallow.

VC4 story is so poor and filled with anime troped I ended up on hating it. There is the small girl who everyone loves (leading to a very creepy cutscene in the middle of the game) the rude girls, the fake bully dude with a golden heart etc. The game also turned idiotic when
your squad is trapped by an electrified fence, and the only way they thought it was good to pass this situation was sending two characters to die. The fact is the fance could be disabled simply by shooting the zeppelins, but the characters never bring this on the table. Considering they have a battleship they could take down all of those easily. Other idiotic points: one character of your squad is a traitor, but it doesn't matter because she was a friend, friendship always wins, even if you passed information to the enemy leading to several deaths, who cares.The Valkyria and a bad guy in one point near the end just leave the game, because they felt in love and decided to go home. No matter they were soldiers in the middle of a war, they just went home.

You are dumped in the middle of the was and you are prompted to do a fuckton of missions which feel all just too similar, usually you need to conquer a base/all bases or reach a specific point of the map with a specific character.

I can see why the game dropped to 50% off so soon on all platforms. You also need to consider there are like 40€ of dlcs for the game too, which stuff like a beach scene which was "free" in VC1. Not that I care about a beach scene, but it's fun to see how back in days VC1 got like 15€ of dlcs and they were all pretty much good bringing several hours of gameplay, while VC4 dlcs are 40€ and they are all bloddy short.

I regretted my 25€ so much.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
too many people redeeming steam cards?

I went to redeem one in the client, it asked me to log in (in the client...) and then didn't work, hit retry twice then just did it on the website and it worked.

It's going to take weeks for archisteamfarm to collect the cards for all my games
:shredder:
https://github.com/JonasNilson/idle_master_extended/releases
That'll grab yer Steam cards right quick. Although since yours does multiple account farming maybe you've got more +1ing going on.

I went to redeem one in the client, it asked me to log in (in the client...) and then didn't work, hit retry twice then just did it on the website and it worked.
Might be getting hammered with Christmas gifts and people downloading their new games all at once.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's going to take weeks for archisteamfarm to collect the cards for all my games
:shredder:
https://github.com/JonasNilson/idle_master_extended/releases
That'll grab yer Steam cards right quick. Although since yours does multiple account farming maybe you've got more +1ing going on.

Might be getting hammered with Christmas gifts and people downloading their new games all at once.
Thanks! Woke up to a ton of cards after taking a nap.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Best one I've seen so far: Thor of the Aesir

69a7f9535b27323a496d505b7f34429915e22773.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam's best sellers of 2018 by revenues: https://store.steampowered.com/best_of_2018

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2796070940830504495

Steam “Best of 2018” Lists; A Look Back At 2018

Today we're unveiling lists of the top selling and top played games on Steam in 2018! Like last year, we've built five lists - Top Sellers, Top New Releases, Top Selling VR Titles, Top Early Access Grads, and Most Played Games.

Top Sellers
We started with the basics by looking at overall Top Sellers. This is a list of the games that earned the most revenue in 2018, which includes all different kinds of Steam revenue; game sales, in-game transactions, and DLC. The resulting list includes a mix of free-to-play and premium games.

Here's the list of Top Selling Games of 2018!

Top New Releases
This page highlights the 150 top-selling games released in 2018, split out by their month of release. To build this list, we looked at a combination of first-week revenue and overall revenue in 2018 to create a list of games that had achieved a sizable level of commercial success, regardless of when during the year each title released.

We find it pretty interesting how much variation there is from month to month. For example, December is a busy month and a lot of activity to compete with, so it's understandable that it might be a less desirable month to release in. But April only had 5 releases that made our list and July only had 6, whereas February was the busiest month with 22 popular releases.

Here's the list of Top Selling New Releases of 2018!

Top Selling VR Titles
This year again saw over 1,000 new releases with Virtual Reality support, with almost all of those (over 900) being VR-only experiences. Top VR sellers included new releases such as Beat Saber, Blade & Sorcery, Budget Cuts, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR, plus some of last-year's top hits including Fallout 4 VR and Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality. There were even some classics appearing in top for the third year in a row, such as RAW DATA and Arizona Sunshine.

Our list this year highlights the leading VR titles by sharing the 100 top selling VR titles of 2018, plus a new section on the page for the top 20 VR releases of 2018.

Here's the list of Top Selling VR Titles of 2018!

Top Early Access Grads
This year's batch of notable titles launching through Steam Early Access includes the hugely popular games Raft and SCUM, and the VR-only experience Beat Saber. Meanwhile many popular titles such as DayZ, The Forest, and RimWorld made their transition from Early Access to full release in 2018.

We wanted to recognize the games that have worked hard to build happy communities and make the transition from Early Access to full release this year. So, we've put together a list of the top 50 games that transitioned out of Early Access to full release during 2018, as measured by revenue earned during 2018 (during Early Access and after full release).

Here's the list of Top Early Access Grads of 2018!

Most Played Games
The Most Played Games list contains games that had more than 15,000 simultaneous players at some point during the year. To fully recognize the games that have built a significant community and player base, we've excluded a number of games that only had short-term spikes in player count due to running giveaways.

Here's the list of Most Played Games of 2018!

Notes:
We don't disclose specific revenue for the lists, but top sellers are broken into four categories in order to give you an idea of how they placed:

Platinum: 1st - 12th Top Seller
Gold: 13th - 24th Top Seller
Silver: 25th - 40th Top Seller
Bronze: 41st - 100th Top Seller

Thanks for reading, and for another great year on Steam! We're constantly surprised by the amazing new games that seem to come out of nowhere, delight their audiences and end up on these lists (and in our Steam libraries) by year-end.

Also, don't forget to check out the Steam Winter Sale, on now through January 3rd. Many of the titles in the lists above are on great discounts, and these lists are a great way to see which games were resonating the most with players this year.

-The Steam Team

D:OS 2, Kingdom Come, and Witcher 3 are in Gold category. PoE 2 is in Bronze category.

And heh, Elder Scrolls Online is in Platinum? It was a turnaround indeed.

And heh, Elder Scrolls Online is in Platinum? It was a turnaround indeed.
That is pretty surprising to hear. I haven't been watching the best sellers list, did any ESO really show up on there? I guess it could also be counting shekel purchases and subscription purchases, which may not show up on the regular best sellers list but it may show up on this year-end list.

Kinda wish the subscription-only infinite space crafting item bag didn't annoy me so much since I get a kick out of the game every time I dick with it other than that. I play a bit, have some fun soaking up some Elder Scrolls shit, usually think once or twice how these quests are more clever than most MMOs, then I hit my bag limit and get sent into a frothing rage and stop playing for months until the hate has worn off enough that I come back and the cycle repeats. It would PROBABLY be worthwhile subscribing if I was more into MMOs since you can play with all the non-expansion DLC too, but eh. I'm too casual.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The "most played" games must be measured by spikes alone, instead of averages. Otherwise No Man's Sky wouldn't even be near that list.

Or gamers are truly that fucking stupid.

Modron

Arcane
The "most played" games must be measured by spikes alone, instead of averages. Otherwise No Man's Sky wouldn't even be near that list.

Or gamers are truly that fucking stupid.
Really that stupid a few months back it hit the top selling spot for a couple of weeks again, after the last major patch and half off deal.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1714081669538621327

Top Controller-Friendly Games of 2018

0014cd9e72028ff17b7996bc5cbd5e85994c299a.jpg

Yesterday we revealed the top-selling and top-played games of 2018 across all of Steam. In building those year-end lists, we also became curious as to which games were most popular with different kinds of controllers. We know from past analysis, that a lot of players on Steam have used a controller of some kind to play a game (36.7 Million players at last count). And we know that not every game works equally as well with each model of controller, so we wanted to put together some guides to help find the games that you might enjoy most with the particular kind of controller that you have.

With that in mind, we've put together a set of pages to highlight the most popular games being played with each of the most common controller models: Top Games played with Xbox controllers(including a huge range of 3rd party controllers that are very similar), Top games played with PlayStation controllers, Top games played with Steam Controllers, and finally Top Games Played With Nintendo Switch Pro controllers.

Each page is broken down into three sections:

Most Popular:
Each page starts off highlighting the 50 games most popular with that controller. To build this list, we looked at the number of minutes played in each game with each type of controller. We divided that by the number of days that game was available in 2018 so as to avoid under-counting the popularity of games released in the middle or later half of 2018. What we ended up with was a list of generally popular games that also have really good controller support for each kind of controller. If you are looking for a popular game to play with a controller, these are going to be a great place to start.

We found it interesting that many of the most popular games show up as played a lot with all four controller types. This is great and means that those games have excellent support built in for most controllers.

Most Unique:
The next thing we wanted to know was what particular games had bigger audiences using one controller type versus another controller type. This would indicate that either the game didn't support all controllers equally, or that the game was somehow of greater interest to the demographic of players that own a particular type of controller.

So we looked for the set of games that were most uniquely popular among players with one controller type, and came up with a list of the top 15 titles for each.

Local Multiplayer:
Finally, we thought it would be interesting to highlight the games that we see being played with more than one controller at a time, demonstrating that the game is popular as a local multiplayer game. If you have a couple of controllers and are looking for some split-screen or shared-screen games to play with a friend, these are some rock-solid choices.

Check out the full lists here:

Cheers,
-The Steam Team

PS: If you happen to be one of the roughly 700 people that have figured out how to plug dance pads into your PC and are looking for something to play, our analysis shows that you should probably just play Crypt of the NecroDancer or The Metronomicon.

Most Uniques sections show the trends
  • Xbox: western shooter/action games
  • PS: Japanese games, fighting games (because d-pad)
  • Steam Controller: traditionally not controller friendly games like management, strategy, RTwP RPGs
  • Switch: indies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom