Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Well, the inspiration seems to be this current state:

[​IMG]
    Which is the worst of the three.

• thumbs down thumbs down x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It still has the list on the left, though. I'm not sure what MHC is so upset about, especially since we don't know how it'll look once a game is selected.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    Should have had a game called Jack Shit.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    I'll be fabulously optimistic and say that it'll probably overall be an improvement over the current "Library" section, but then I've had a problem with the current Library section for a long while. With 1000+ titles it's basically unbrowsable and you have to create your own categories and collapse major ones like "Games" for it to be barely usable. Mostly if you're looking for a specific title under that many, the "Search" field would be useful. I already see a few things here that would seem useful, most of all the "Recent Games" bit, since often you just want to start up the last few games you've been playing again, and right now you have to go a-browsing for it. As it stands I actually use two categories, "Games to Play" and "Playing Now" or something for it to be somewhat useable and sortable.

These other screens seem to indicate exactly that, for instance for "Counter Strike: Global Offensive", "Don't Starve Together" and "Slay The Spire":
    I'm not sure I see this particular Screen design as a positive change. As it is now you see the title at the top, followed by your Playtime/Last Played/Muh Achievements featured prominently and a Recent News and Screenshots section:
    I don't think I see their redesign as an improvement, it looks too cluttered with too much information. I'd bet most players couldn't give less of a shit about "Recent Events" for any particular game, nor particularly about the Recent "Activity" of their friends list, and I don't think bombarding people with "Workshop" and "Trading Card" items on this page is an improvement in any way. For some reason they seem to have also made Playtime and Muh Achievements less prominent than before.

This on the other hand looks like a positive change again, so far you had to use External Tools to be able to browse your own Library by Tags: https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

For instance say you're looking for a "Point & Click" Adventure or you're looking for a "Co-op" game to play with a friend, you had to either pre-sort your game Library into categories like "CoOp", "Multiplayer" or similar or you had to use above tools or External sites: https://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

That they already declared a base category called "VR", where they automatically added all VR-enabled titles was already a big improvement, I hope you can create entire categories from said Search results, so you can compose various more easily sortable Categories like "Adventures" (for "Point & Click" tag) or "RPGs" or "Turn-based" and similar.

Something else that should be much easier than it actually is, is browsing a list of all recently Played and/or Bought games, like a timeline to see what you've played last few months or year or to remember what you recently bought.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Do you have to create your own tags and tag every game in library? No fucking way I will trust it again, last time I put all my games in specific categories and one day they disappeared. :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Tags are Steam-wide, you see em on every Store page and can browse by them.
    For instance:
    https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Turn-Based/
    https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Point+&+Click

The new system seems to allow sorting the Library by genres and Tags.

Categories you create in your Library are not and should be saved for you personally.

^ Top  
  7. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    I currently use the "Favorites" function for that purpose.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    I wonder why games icons at the bottom have a very weird proportion. They are too stretched even for a box art.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    OH NO NO NO
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHA HA HA HA HA
    LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD

^ Top  
  10. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    This looks like a fucking DISASTER. Holy shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    It's 16:9 for some reason.

^ Top  
  12. passerby Savant

passerby
    Do you know you can hold ctrl to select multiple titles to assign them category at once ? Once I realised this, I divided 500+ games library between around 20 categories in 15 minutes. I've done it 4 years ago and never lost them.

• Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Didn't know that, but still I got a lot of bundle trash that I had to check what genre is to assign it category and that took way to much time for doing it again. What I would love to have is automatic creation of categories that match the store page tags.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    ^ Top  
  14. passerby Savant

passerby
    Create BUNDLETRASH category.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Doesn't everything end up in "RPG" then? Or what is the newest tag fad?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Villagkouras Arbiter

Villagkouras
    Just download Depressurizer from Github, it does exactly this.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Good to know, but will wait for the new UI as it will probably break everything. :lol:

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah I used to categorize my games with that, but it's not really worth the effort tbh. Just use the search to find what you need.

^ Top  
  19. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Since most of western AAA games are gone, Steam's big hits are all about Japan: https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/22/...ice-had-the-best-steam-launch-of-2019-so-far/

Now From and Capcom are the best friends of Valve. (Until Epic throws tens of millions in their way, of course. Wait for Dragon's Dogma 2 on Epic Store!)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. passerby Savant

passerby
    In the time it'll take to download, install, link to steam, experiment with different sorters, you cold make it manually for much better results.
    I wasted time with it at some point, only to make it manually in the end, becuase I was not satisfied with the results.

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Villagkouras Arbiter

Villagkouras
    If only Steam could understand the complex nature of subcategories.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. passerby Savant

passerby
    True, but on the other hand it's the only store that have categories at all.

I dread the day when some update will take them away completeley, or replace with autosorting by tags and other crap.

^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

Tired: Oblivion Soil Erosion

Wired: Half-Life Moss Growth

• Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    I think Natural Selection 2 actually did something like this:

• incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I have a rather specific problem with Steam and hoping someone can help me. I have been trying to add Albion(GoG version) as a non-steam game for the screenshot function, but for some reason it craps out every time I change target under priorities.

This is the target:

It's directly copied from the shortcut on the desktop, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here? I added Lands of Lore 1(GoG version) this way and that works. Help!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)