Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=VKD3D-Proton-Building

Valve's Proton Offers Branch With VKD3D For Direct3D 12 Over Vulkan
Written by Michael Larabel in Valve on 23 August 2019 at 06:11 AM EDT. 13 Comments
valve.jpg

While VKD3D continues to be under heavy development, Valve already appears pleased with it enough that it's now being built as part of their Wine-based Proton software for powering Steam Play on Linux.

VKD3D is the official Wine project being worked on for accelerating Direct3D 12 over Vulkan. This has been Wine's only pursued D3D12 approach with Direct3D 12 not mapping nicely over OpenGL and thus not fitting well into their existing WineD3D code. VKD3D has been able to run a few games, but at last check not many though that may be different these days with it already being included into Proton.

As of yesterday, Proton is now building and shipping VKD3D for its Direct3D 12 support. At the moment there isn't any new Proton release out on Steam but this is just the latest activity in Git.

It will be great once VKD3D is as stable as DXVK is to Direct3D 10/11 support in allowing modern Windows games to work nicely under Steam Play on Linux, assuming they don't run into any problems due to anti-cheat software and other headaches still being addressed for improving the Windows gaming on Linux experience. Exciting times ahead.

Update: This work is currently staged in one of Valve's Proton Git branches. The user who pointed us to this commit had (incorrectly) indicated otherwise, so it's not yet in mainline upon closer examination, but hopefully will be there not too much longer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...me-publishers-to-settle-sources-idUSKCN1VJ26R

Exclusive: Valve to fight EU antitrust charges, five videogame publishers to settle: sources

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Valve Corp, owner of the world’s largest video game distribution platform “Steam”, plans to fight EU antitrust charges of preventing cross-border trade, unlike five video game publishers which plan to settle the case, people familiar with the matter said.

Valve and video game makers Bandai Namco, Capcom, Focus Home, Koch Media and U.S. peer ZeniMax have been the target of a European Commission investigation since 2017.

The EU competition enforcer in April charged the six companies with preventing EU consumers from shopping around for the best video game deals within the 28-country bloc.

It said the companies agreed to use geo-blocking activation keys to prevent consumers in one EU country from buying cheaper versions of a game in another EU country.

The Commission, which wants to scrap cross-border curbs on online trade in the bloc, also charged the five publishers of preventing other distributors from selling video games outside their allocated territories.

Valve is fighting the charge and is likely to ask for a closed-door hearing to argue its case before senior competition officials from the Commission and national watchdogs, the people said.

The five publishers plan to settle the charges, they said. Under EU antitrust rules for settlements, companies admit wrongdoing in return for a 10 percent cut in their fines.

Valve and Focus Home did not respond to requests for comments. Valve in its April statement on the EU charges said the region locks applied to only 3 percent of all games using its Steam platform and that it turned off the locks in Europe in 2015.

The Commission, which can fine companies up to 10 percent of their turnover for breaching EU antitrust rules, declined to comment.

Japanese company Capcom said it could not provide any further comment until the Commission issues a decision. Bandai Namco said: “It is BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Europe’s company policy to not comment on any ongoing legal matters.”

Washington, D.C.-based ZeniMax and Koch Media had no immediate comment.

Endemic

Arcane
"Valve is working on a new Steam Labs experiment which plans on improving search page with more filters and infinite scrolling. New filters include hiding owned/ignored/wished games, and possibly a max price control."

Why did this take so long again? :?

Silentstorm

Learned
"Valve is working on a new Steam Labs experiment which plans on improving search page with more filters and infinite scrolling. New filters include hiding owned/ignored/wished games, and possibly a max price control."

Why did this take so long again? :?
Epic, while maybe i am overestimating it's power, they did get some good games to be timed exclusives and are making developers look their way, so Valve is having more incentive to improve than ever.

It's just that unlike Epic who is very vocal about their wish to fight Valve, Valve prefers to not talk about Epic and just quietly update Steam and look good now that a store with money and exclusives has appeared.

Or maybe Valve just takes really long to notice obvious flaws and takes even longer to update.

Endemic

Arcane
Or maybe Valve just takes really long to notice obvious flaws and takes even longer to update.

The search function is just flat out archaic. 25 results per page and poorly implemented tags. I gave up trying to find stuff when there's 5000 games on sale.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's fucking search bar, you type what you are searching for and it comes up. Next the retards will complain adding more tags and filters is a bloat.

Modron

Arcane
It's fucking search bar.

That's fine if you have a specific game title in mind, not so much if you want to find similar games without knowing titles. That's why I mentioned tags and the number of results per page.
It's pretty much on par with the codex's search, simple named games can sometimes be pretty far down the list because search also searches product description and has no option for searching title only or exact match (quotes don't do shit). I always like using The Quest as an example because it barely manages to stay on the first page when searching for The Quest. I am sure somebody could find a game on steam that doesn't rate in the first 25 results when searching for exact name.

Dexter

Arcane
I always like using The Quest as an example because it barely manages to stay on the first page when searching for The Quest. I am sure somebody could find a game on steam that doesn't rate in the first 25 results when searching for exact name.
c9vIRNG.jpg

???

Modron

Arcane

Syl

Cipher
Random post:

For no particular reason, I was looking at the store page of Heroine's Quest (https://store.steampowered.com/app/283880/Heroines_Quest_The_Herald_of_Ragnarok/).

At the bottom, there is a list of recommended games (same genre). Among them:
The Witcher 3, GTA 5, Spyro Trilogy, The Elder Scrolls Online, FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, Fallout 4.

Riiiiight.

With tags like Point & click, Free, Indie, Retro, Pixel art, 2D, you totally nailed it, Steam, you nailed it...

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Tags don't mean shit on Steam. Look up what's tagged with Strategy, for example.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Random post:

For no particular reason, I was looking at the store page of Heroine's Quest (https://store.steampowered.com/app/283880/Heroines_Quest_The_Herald_of_Ragnarok/).

At the bottom, there is a list of recommended games (same genre). Among them:
The Witcher 3, GTA 5, Spyro Trilogy, The Elder Scrolls Online, FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, Fallout 4.

Riiiiight.

With tags like Point & click, Free, Indie, Retro, Pixel art, 2D, you totally nailed it, Steam, you nailed it...

It tends to happen when a game is not so popular and its top tags are generic ones, it features currently top-selling games relevant to the generic top tags. Top tags have more weight in this than lower ones, and HQ's top tags are Adventure, RPG, Shooter, Point & Click, and Female Protagonist.

I think developers themselves adding more specific and relevant tags (look at Thimbleweed Park's top tags for example: Adventure, Point & Click, Pixel Graphics, Retro, 1990's, Comedy) should help, since they have more weight than normal users when tagging their own games.

Codex Year of the Donut

The search function is just flat out archaic. 25 results per page and poorly implemented tags. I gave up trying to find stuff when there's 5000 games on sale.
Fun fact: Steam search actually has the ability to filter results out but it's simply not enabled. It would probably take at best 15 minutes for them to enable it on the client-side.
They've had it for years.
How does it work? You literally just put a minus sign behind the tag in the URL.
e.g., indie tag is 492.
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=-492

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom