Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

He mentions how he trimmed the bottom 80% of games and trimmed AAA banner games, then trimmed the top and bottom 5% to reduce outliers. Wouldn't that mean that supply is outpacing demand and a lot of the "Missing money" is going into people buying those 80% of "Trash" games he removed? Like he says the bottom 80% are making hardly any money at all, and his numbers were exclusively coming from one month (July to August) and he's extrapolating a year of sales over the course of a month of just 170 of the 900 games released in that one month span. So not only is he glossing over the massive supply of new games (Since there's only a finite amount of cash people will dump on videogames globally), he's then estimating yearly sales numbers on Steam, a platform with roughly 30,000 games using just 170 out of 900 released in a month. He then ends with telling people to stop bullying Epic.

I don't know about you fellers but this seems like it's on the level to me. If you look at Epic Game Store's sales per individual game I bet they look a lot better too. They're up to what, 30 games now?
:kingcomrade:

Codex Year of the Donut
His numbers are way too low. Some basic math can easily show he's far off. Either he's excluding a lot more titles than what he refers to as "AAA" or he's just using bullshit data.
Steam had $4.3bn in sales in 2017, which was up from $3.5bn in 2016. Extrapolating the data he used, it would account for about …0.54% of Steam's 2019 sales assuming Steam sales increased at the same rate since 2017(I'm too lazy to check if they have)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tag-based recommendations now less dependent on popularity, shows "more relevant to individual customers": https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/1591381408652851752

Store Discovery Update

Today's Steam Store update features several algorithmic changes and bug fixes in an effort to be more precise and more diverse in how Steam presents games via tags in the Recommendation Feed, as well as the "More Like This" and the "Recommended for You" sections of the store.

e3020ec825d023b1dc41a2dc549a527444d10dec.png

Previously, when customers would look for games by browsing the recommendation feed at the bottom of the homepage or the "More Like This" sections, they weren't seeing as many different games as we would've liked. Furthermore, we were receiving lots of feedback that "Recommended for You," felt too biased towards only the most popular games and didn't feel very personalized. We wanted to determine how to respond to this feedback, so we went in search of bugs and decided to run an experiment.

We found some bugs, such as the "Similar by Tags" section of the Recommendation Feed, which had a bug that top-rated games (a category that doesn't change very often) were driving too much of what players saw. We changed that. We also found that in some places our timescale used to calculate popularity was too narrow, resulting in unpredictable visibility for some games. So we expanded the time period we use in those calculations.

In changing these areas, we wanted to ensure that we were showing customers a diverse set of games while keeping the games relevant to them. Would they engage with those recommendations? In other words, would they click through? Would they wishlist these games? Would they buy them? To answer these questions, we made some changes to how we show customers games in the places on the store that are driven by recommendation code, bundled that up with our bug fixes, and shipped it to 5% of customers to test for the past few weeks.

In these changes, "Recommended for You" became less biased towards popular games, and showed games that are more relevant to individual customers. As it turned out, customers in the experiment group were more likely to click on the games shown in the recommendations section, at a rate almost 15% higher than the control group. The increased personalization means there is an even greater variety of games being shown in this section, and customer impressions are more evenly distributed among them.

To get a feel for the breadth of titles that were being visited, we measured how many games members of the experiment group visited via the "Recommended For You" section compared to a sample of customers who were not in the experiment for a few days. The results were very promising: we saw a 75% increase in the number of unique games visited, and a 48% increase in the average visits per game.

5039813589251b9d37a7c865a7f232f614174cd1.png

Store areas driven by Tags, such as "More Like This," saw increases in purchase and wishlisting across a broader set of games. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but by increasing qualitative specificity and showing a wider range of titles, more customers found things they didn't know they wanted.

We're encouraged by these results and have now rolled them out to everyone. We continue to make changes and run experiments like this in order to improve Steam's existing features, while we also explore entirely different ways for customers to find games they love. If you head over to Steam Labs you can use one of these new methods: the Steam Interactive Recommender experiment. With a few clicks, we're confident you're going to find or rediscover a game that interests you.

As we keep working on discoverability, we encourage your feedback on these store-wide changes as well as The Interactive Recommender. It's immensely valuable and helps guide our continued work.

Case in point, it's still not the best matches now it's showing more indie-er games than big sellers.

Random post:

For no particular reason, I was looking at the store page of Heroine's Quest (https://store.steampowered.com/app/283880/Heroines_Quest_The_Herald_of_Ragnarok/).

At the bottom, there is a list of recommended games (same genre). Among them:
The Witcher 3, GTA 5, Spyro Trilogy, The Elder Scrolls Online, FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, Fallout 4.

Riiiiight.

With tags like Point & click, Free, Indie, Retro, Pixel art, 2D, you totally nailed it, Steam, you nailed it...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Perhaps some people might find this interesting:

Kerry Davis from Valve talks at Digipen about some serious VR challenges that Valve is trying to overcome. More specifically, how to deal with doors, and door knobs!

Nothing specific about the next major VR title, other than "I'm dying" for the eventual announcement.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2885041763127316560

Steam Library Beta Now Open
All players are invited to opt-in and try it out

We're pleased to announce that the New Steam Library is now available in open beta – all players can opt-in and try out the new features.

Learn about the features of the New Library

You can learn more about the features of the New Library from the Library Update page and our recent blog post.

How do I join the beta?

Opting in to the Steam Client Beta lets you use the latest features before they're released, not just the New Steam Library.

0d6a5cfe93a6c0e92dc884200e1d9144d3ccf668.gif

Follow the instructions below to participate in the Steam client beta:
  1. With Steam running, click on "Steam" in the upper left, then choose the "Settings" menu. (Preferences on Mac) or follow this link.
  2. On the "Account" tab under "Beta Participation" click the "Change..." button.
  3. Select the "Steam Beta Update" from the drop down list and click "OK".
  4. You will be prompted to restart Steam, please select the "Restart Steam" button.

We want to know what you think!

We've done our best to make improvements that we believe evolve the Steam Library experience to make it better and more relevant for everyone. Let us know what you think, we'll be making improvements throughout the Beta period.

-The Steam Team

Sentinel

Arcane
So I'm 5 minutes in and I already noticed the uninstall game option is gone. You now have to go to the game's properties to do it. And my RAM usage is in the 500MB and rising (currently at 700MB, same as my WoW client).

Very well done Mr. Gaben.

Sentinel

Arcane
So I'm 5 minutes in and I already noticed the uninstall game option is gone. You now have to go to the game's properties to do it. And my RAM usage is in the 500MB and rising (currently at 700MB, same as my WoW client).

Very well done Mr. Gaben.
2obDeDm.png
Yep, I restarted the client and it's there. There's also a Library entry in the settings menu now. Time to test it out.

n6OWGSc.png

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Huh, I'm not downloading anything, but the beta sure is absolutely flooding my network connection. Funny.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dear god I can't stop laughing at that big ass font for game title.

52FD6865BD10F3CF95496E4F0B09F61C028E0207

Does it reset your categories? Please say no...
do people actually use those?
I didn't used to, but it's handy for some shit. I've only bothered to make categories for CYOA games (Since they get lost in the shuffle easily) and boardgames. In most cases I just start typing the name of the game I want, but in a few cases I can just have a catchall category and that'll cover 'em. If I started going too deep with it I'd have to ask myself forbidden questions like "What is an RPG".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom