Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Does it reset your categories? Please say no...
do people actually use those?
...what categories?
Right click a game in your Steam library, pick "Set categories", add whatever categories you like and add the game to whatever ones you want. It's just a method of sorting. If you look at your library as "Games" (Rather than "My games") it'll have tabs for all the categories you've made and the games you listed as such are put in there. If you look at "My games" then it's just you regular unsorted alphabetized list. The categories aren't automated or built using store tags or whatever, it's entirely on you to do whatever you want with them, so you can do completely subjective shit like "Games that looked cool" for stuff you haven't played yet in your backlog, etc.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I guess they really did give up on hounding devs to update their game artwork. No worries, community will fix it.

Capture.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand what the graphical representation of games you own on the right are for? You already have your easy to read list on the left? Just look messy as hell.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess they really did give up on hounding devs to update their game artwork. No worries, community will fix it.

Capture.jpg
Well they told everyone to update their artworks, otherwise Steam will create some deafult artwork. It's surprising that big name devs didn't do the updates.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A lot of inconsistencies too, like the entire Total War franchise has proper artworks excluding Shogun 2, Wasteland 2 (original version) has director's cut artwork and DC entry doesn't have one, a Civ 4 expansion has artwork but the other xpacs plus base game have nothing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm not that fond of the design, but new features like filters and collections are certainly welcome.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Filters, collections and all that stuff could be useful, if the tag system was useful in the first place. At least they added drag & drop to collections.

PrettyDeadman

Is there a way to apply filters "WITHIN" a dynamic category, i.e. only apply it to titles you dropped in that category, and not every game you own?

Doesn't look like it since you can't tag your games (I think). I create a collection with one game, select one random filter and other games show up. I think the filters are just to find games so you can put them into collections manually, not for searching inside collections?

I don't understand what the graphical representation of games you own on the right are for? You already have your easy to read list on the left? Just look messy as hell.

Just a default "all games" tab. You can collapse or delete it.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
Filters, collections and all that stuff could be useful, if the tag system was useful in the first place. At least they added drag & drop to collections.
Tag system is useless, manually created categories/collections is the only way to go. You could already hold CTRL to mark multiple games and assign them category at once.
It took me 10min to make categories from the screenshot for a 500+ games library when I started loosing track of games I have. Each game is one click away without scrolling now.
Drag and drop is welcome, but it's just a very slightly more convenient way of adding a single new game to already defined collection, than rightclick and select category from the list.

Overall very minor changes, some unnecessary, some slightly for the better, I expected way worse, sigh of relief.
They should add an option to hide, or collapse to a tiny button sections from the store frontpage, like curators etc. fuck that crap.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
I'm starting to enjoy the "Shelves" functionality, you can "Add A New Shelf" based on your Pre-created categories, you can also Sort "All Games" or similar by "Last Played", "Hours Played", "Release Date" or similar:
2zkNLay.jpg

Now if "Last Played" actually reflected "Last Played" and didn't also include "Last Bought" or "Last Key Redeemed" and if you could Drag & Drop the categories around...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People don't use categories?
I sort mine in 4:
-Beaten
-Unplayed
-Chill (mostly puzzle stuff) that are always installed
-Games I gave up on/never going to play

Dexter

Arcane
You can use Store Tags for Dynamic Collections too btw. instead of Steams stupid "Genres", for instance "Point & Click":
c4iNPz1.jpg

You can also use Multiple Store Tags to make Dynamic Collections, for instance Search "RPG" first, then hit Enter and then Search for "Turn-Based":
dm38VXl.jpg

Sentinel

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/1589131508764815822
Steam Client Beta - September 18, 2019
18 SEP @ 6:24PM - BOYD
The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes:

New Library
  • Cover art can now be zoomed in on under “Show more details”
  • Events viewed from the library Home have an icon under the page buttons to take you to that game’s details page
  • Add scrollbar to shelf dropdown for users with many collections
  • Fixed alignment and layout issues around the play bar in various conditions
  • Fixed some game demos not displaying in the library
  • Fixed uninstall not being displayed in context menus for installed games when the user didn’t have a current license
  • Fixed an issue where fullscreen Youtube videos failed to properly snap back to the library

General
  • Fixed a beta client display regression in the activate cd key wizard
  • Fixed find in page dialog on the store or community tabs displaying after navigating away from those tabs
  • Fixed an occasional crash at launch when the user has a pending gift
  • Enabled F5 key in store and community web views

SteamVR
  • Fixed Steam crash on the second SteamVR startup in a session.

Big Picture
  • Fixed a case where some games would not launch

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:argh:God, I hate the new developer/publisher links. Giving cool pages for companies is all good and well, but it complicates things when you're just looking for simple game list. And some publishers set developer links to redirect to their own page, in some case even if the developer is not their own. Jesus.

And look at Arkane Studio's list (that is inside of Bethesda's page). You've enjoyed Prey and Dishonored, and want to know about their other games? What? Where's Dark Messiah? Well of course, Bethesda does not own that. You have no right to know about it.

Finally, Augmented Steam added search page links beside dev/pub page links. I hate some publishers redirect developer links to their own publisher pages.

Dexter

Arcane
Some things that they could do is make the Categories Drag&Droppable instead of Alphabetical with "Favorites" always on Top. They already have a Drag&Drop feature implemented where you can drag games from the right into a Collection on the left (or to remove them from it) and it seems to work fine, but the Collections themselves seem to be fixed.

Also a "Sort By" Steam reviews would be more useful than "Metacritic Score", because who honestly cares about the "Metacritic Score"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom