Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    ...what categories?

^ Top  
  2. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    Right click a game in your Steam library, pick "Set categories", add whatever categories you like and add the game to whatever ones you want. It's just a method of sorting. If you look at your library as "Games" (Rather than "My games") it'll have tabs for all the categories you've made and the games you listed as such are put in there. If you look at "My games" then it's just you regular unsorted alphabetized list. The categories aren't automated or built using store tags or whatever, it's entirely on you to do whatever you want with them, so you can do completely subjective shit like "Games that looked cool" for stuff you haven't played yet in your backlog, etc.

^ Top  
  3. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Oh finally, freeware games are visible even if you don't have them installed.

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    I guess they really did give up on hounding devs to update their game artwork. No worries, community will fix it.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I don't understand what the graphical representation of games you own on the right are for? You already have your easy to read list on the left? Just look messy as hell.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. passerby Savant

passerby
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 5
    • (autism) (autism) x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well they told everyone to update their artworks, otherwise Steam will create some deafult artwork. It's surprising that big name devs didn't do the updates.

^ Top  
  8. Belegarsson Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Patron

Belegarsson
    A lot of inconsistencies too, like the entire Total War franchise has proper artworks excluding Shogun 2, Wasteland 2 (original version) has director's cut artwork and DC entry doesn't have one, a Civ 4 expansion has artwork but the other xpacs plus base game have nothing.

^ Top  
  9. passerby Savant

passerby
    It's still beta, most will update for the official release.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    ^ Top  
  11. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Utterly pointless crap that makes the Library tab worse in pretty much every way.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    I'm not that fond of the design, but new features like filters and collections are certainly welcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Villagkouras Arbiter

Villagkouras
    Filters, collections and all that stuff could be useful, if the tag system was useful in the first place. At least they added drag & drop to collections.

^ Top  
  14. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Is there a way to apply filters "WITHIN" a dynamic category, i.e. only apply it to titles you dropped in that category, and not every game you own?

^ Top  
  15. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Doesn't look like it since you can't tag your games (I think). I create a collection with one game, select one random filter and other games show up. I think the filters are just to find games so you can put them into collections manually, not for searching inside collections?

Just a default "all games" tab. You can collapse or delete it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. passerby Savant

passerby
    Tag system is useless, manually created categories/collections is the only way to go. You could already hold CTRL to mark multiple games and assign them category at once.
    It took me 10min to make categories from the screenshot for a 500+ games library when I started loosing track of games I have. Each game is one click away without scrolling now.
    Drag and drop is welcome, but it's just a very slightly more convenient way of adding a single new game to already defined collection, than rightclick and select category from the list.

Overall very minor changes, some unnecessary, some slightly for the better, I expected way worse, sigh of relief.
    They should add an option to hide, or collapse to a tiny button sections from the store frontpage, like curators etc. fuck that crap.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    ^ Top  
  17. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    I'm starting to enjoy the "Shelves" functionality, you can "Add A New Shelf" based on your Pre-created categories, you can also Sort "All Games" or similar by "Last Played", "Hours Played", "Release Date" or similar:
    [​IMG]

Now if "Last Played" actually reflected "Last Played" and didn't also include "Last Bought" or "Last Key Redeemed" and if you could Drag & Drop the categories around...

^ Top  
  18. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That is some huge icons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    This is the smallest it'll go

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    People don't use categories?
    I sort mine in 4:
    -Beaten
    -Unplayed
    -Chill (mostly puzzle stuff) that are always installed
    -Games I gave up on/never going to play

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    How do you make em smaller?

^ Top  
  22. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    You can use Store Tags for Dynamic Collections too btw. instead of Steams stupid "Genres", for instance "Point & Click":
    [​IMG]

You can also use Multiple Store Tags to make Dynamic Collections, for instance Search "RPG" first, then hit Enter and then Search for "Turn-Based":
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    They added a Library entry to settings:

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/1589131508764815822

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Finally, Augmented Steam added search page links beside dev/pub page links. I hate some publishers redirect developer links to their own publisher pages.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)