Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Capture.PNG

Good job Steam, can't read fucking shit because you can't enlarge the image.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
To be honest that's also (probably more) on the developer. I understand that compact image is more 'shareable' on social websites, but they're posing on Steam announcement. They should have posted actual text there.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Is anyone else experiencing extremely slow downloads on Steam? I'm on ethernet, with FIOS, and I'm only getting ~10kb/s downloading speed, when I usually get a lot more.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Is anyone else experiencing extremely slow downloads on Steam? I'm on ethernet, with FIOS, and I'm only getting ~10kb/s downloading speed, when I usually get a lot more.

Update: The problem is in my region. Using a VPN fixes this issue (for now).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Can't you just switch to a different download server? I've been using the Finland server since forever because unlike Germany it's not a digital shithole country.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Can't you just switch to a different download server? I've been using the Finland server since forever because unlike Germany it's not a digital shithole country.

I've already tried switching to a different server and clearing my download cache, and that didn't fix the issue. The problem, after reading some Steam Discussion posts is my IPS, Verizon. Other people in my region, with the same ISP, are experiencing the same thing. Shit, even a guy in my building is having problems. So, it's a local thing.

I'm currently using a VPN, and that's helping me get to my normal speeds. I hope this doesn't last too much longer.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
VR only L4D would be left for dead. I'd imagine it would work for both VR and non-VR.

Only way I see any of this having a real impact is if Valve has somehow solved the "moving through a level with motion controllers" problem. Which I doubt, but hey... you never know...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nominee reveal eveyday: https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1723120578733145556

Steam Awards Nominee Video Reveals
Come back each day as we reveal the final nominees for the 2019 Steam Awards.

The nomination phase of the 2019 Steam Awards is complete, and the final nominees will be revealed over the coming eight days (one per category). Beginning today with the nominees for Outstanding Visual Style, the award nominees will be featured in a daily video reveal until the finalists for Game of the Year are revealed next Wednesday, December 18 (PST).

The Awards feature a total of eight categories, four of which are new this year. Community voting opens Thursday, December 19 (PST) when the annual Steam Holiday Sale begins. And the Winners are planned to be announced on New Year’s Eve.

This is the fourth year of the Steam Awards, with all nominees and winners decided by community voting.

To check out the nominee video reveals, please visit store.steampowered.com/steamawards/2019/

OUTSTANDING VISUAL STYLE

These devs are the Willy Wonka of eye candy. Visual style doesn't aspire to real-world graphical fidelity (though a noble goal in itself)… it describes a distinctive look and feel that suffuses an entire game. This game displays visual cohesion and expression that not only fit the game's world, but make our world look paltry by comparison.

Okay.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nominee reveal eveyday: https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1723120578733145556

Steam Awards Nominee Video Reveals
Come back each day as we reveal the final nominees for the 2019 Steam Awards.

The nomination phase of the 2019 Steam Awards is complete, and the final nominees will be revealed over the coming eight days (one per category). Beginning today with the nominees for Outstanding Visual Style, the award nominees will be featured in a daily video reveal until the finalists for Game of the Year are revealed next Wednesday, December 18 (PST).

The Awards feature a total of eight categories, four of which are new this year. Community voting opens Thursday, December 19 (PST) when the annual Steam Holiday Sale begins. And the Winners are planned to be announced on New Year’s Eve.

This is the fourth year of the Steam Awards, with all nominees and winners decided by community voting.

To check out the nominee video reveals, please visit store.steampowered.com/steamawards/2019/

OUTSTANDING VISUAL STYLE

These devs are the Willy Wonka of eye candy. Visual style doesn't aspire to real-world graphical fidelity (though a noble goal in itself)… it describes a distinctive look and feel that suffuses an entire game. This game displays visual cohesion and expression that not only fit the game's world, but make our world look paltry by comparison.

Okay.
WTF? Disco Elysium should have several nominations, but the very least it should have the outstanding visual style. Why is the Total War game there, it has just the same old artstyle of the old TW games. Look pretty, but nothing outstanding about it.

Dexter

Arcane
WTF? Disco Elysium should have several nominations, but the very least it should have the outstanding visual style. Why is the Total War game there, it has just the same old artstyle of the old TW games. Look pretty, but nothing outstanding about it.
Presumably because lots of people voted for it and it's not a Niche Indie game that barely anybody played?
7HMFbzN.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah like many other user-voted awards, more than half of this is about popularity than qualification. Look at those games. They got at least 10K reviews, while DE got a bit more than 5K.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Oh right whatever nominees:

BEST GAME YOU SUCK AT

Games have a way of pushing us past any limits we thought we had. Like a montage sequence, we put in work, training our fingers to be quick and nimble, mastering timing and placement over weeks and weeks. At the end of the gauntlet, we're rewarded with profound beauty and a deep sense of personal growth. Unless you hurled your monitor through a plate-glass window on the first day.

Is Code Vein particularly hard?

OUTSTANDING STORY-RICH GAME

Some days, only a narrative-heavy game will hit the spot, and this one packs a wallop. It's as gripping as any soap opera, and as well-tuned as a prestige-TV screenplay. Bravissimo -- for making us feel things!

Far Cry: New Dawn and Gears 5? Okay... I guess DE got one category at least.

MOST INNOVATIVE GAMEPLAY

This game is at the front lines of experimentation, pushing the boundaries of the medium with exciting, novel interactions and brain-breaking surprises. This game thinks outside the box, and pulls you out with it!

BETTER WITH FRIENDS

There are some games out there that just aren't the same when you play by yourself. Maybe you need to have a friend to watch your back. Maybe you need to have a friend that you can stab in their back. Either way, mirth is awaiting those who gather friends to play these games.

At least Gabe is happy.

Looks like they're going to let you sort games by user review score: https://steamdb.info/app/22380/history/?changeid=7368572
I hope they let you do that in your library view. I hate 90% of the shit they did to the library recently, but some of the new sorting is halfway decent, and if I could do a "What's the highest rated RTS I own" search that'd be kinda cool to dig around and see if there are any freakishly high rated games I haven't checked out.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, I meant sort feature in the new library. (You can already do that in the store.)

Looks like they're going to let you sort games by user review score: https://steamdb.info/app/22380/history/?changeid=7368572

review_percentage – 95
review_score – 9

Looking at this again, looks like they've been figuring out a method more than a mere sort by percentile score.

That review score seems to take account actual popularity of the game, probably the number of reviews. For example this recently released platformer got a 100% score based on 11 reviews. Its review_percentage value is of course 100, but review_score value is just 7.

There are also "_bombs" variations (review_percentage_bombs, review_score_bombs), which represent scores that didn't exclude "off-topic" review bombs.

Well looks like they sure put a lot of thought into this to match the actual system and user preferences. Looking forward to see how this will be implemented in actual UI.

In case you're curious no game has the perfect 10 review_score. I guess that's practically impossible.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/1698352047813387681
Steam Client Beta - December 18, 2019
19 DEC @ 1:08AM - PHILIPLA
The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes:

General
  • Fixed the overlay not working correctly or crashing some DXGI/DX12 games in upcoming Windows Insider builds.
Library
  • Added sort by Steam Review to shelves and app grids.
  • Fixed an issue where removing the last non-Steam game from a collection would cause it to spontaneously reappear at a later time like an unwanted holiday houseguest.
Linux
  • Only execute steam-runtime-system-info when needed for diagnostics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom