Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Walking Dead (SPOILERS)

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Oh, I only hope that in season 3 there will be an apportunity of meeting the guys who stole your supplies (In my case the Nigger and Ruskie boy) and caping their asses, preferably in cold blood.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh, I only hope that in season 3 there will be an apportunity of meeting the guys who stole your supplies (In my case the Nigger and Ruskie boy) and caping their asses, preferably in cold blood.
Unlikely. Bonnie can die trying to save Luke and there's an option to shoot the nigger (dunno how to get it though).

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Oh Bonnie died in my version. And not a single tear was shed.

So, maybe we will just be able to meet the Ruskie boy. There is no ending in which he dies right?

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Unlikely. Bonnie can die trying to save Luke and there's an option to shoot the nigger (dunno how to get it though).

I heard Telltale patched that episode and changed Clem shooting Mike after Ferguson.
Goddamit!:rpgcodex:

There must be the original version somewhere.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Mike and Bonnie were really assholes to Clem in the end.

Deleted member 7219

The Russian guy was a real prick and I was really, really sick with Mike and Bonnie mollycoddling him the whole time. Kenny treated him appropriately the whole time. The guy was a prisoner, and he was dangerous. He also gave Kenny plenty of backchat the whole way. Kenny only beat him up because he was being disrespectful.

Kenny was a bit of an idiot too, though. The stuff with the baby was incredibly annoying. If I was in that situation, I'd have left the baby to die. Sorry, but it wasn't contributing anything to the group and was a massive burden. The crying, the baby formula, not to mention the fact that someone has to carry it, feed it, change it etc. Both its parents had died, it was unfair to expect everyone else to have to look after it.

Kenny refuses to work with the rest of the group, he thinks he can give orders and everyone has to follow them - if anybody questions them, he goes nuts. He's also snappy towards Clem. He was getting more and more unstable by the end so I decided he needed to be dealt with. Him or Jane? Easy decision. Jane proved herself to be a strong fighter, and a good mother / big sister figure to Clementine.

So I picked the ending with Clem and Jane going off together, I let in the family because the only way they were going to survive was to reform a group and possibly get a settlement going.

I hope Bonnie / Mike / Russian guy appear next season so I can kill them (if Telltale don't wimp out and make them out to be good people after all).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Kenny is the man. He's ultimately right about everyone he's a dick to/suspicious of and doesn't take any shit. Jane is annoying and barely had the stones to stab the Ruskie with the AK in the back. Jane a good 'big sister?' Yeah, so good she left her actual little sister to die.

Deleted member 7219

Kenny is the man. He's ultimately right about everyone he's a dick to/suspicious of and doesn't take any shit. Jane is annoying and barely had the stones to stab the Ruskie with the AK in the back. Jane a good 'big sister?' Yeah, so good she left her actual little sister to die.

He wasn't right about Lee. He isn't right about Clementine (he is still, quite often, a massive dick to her and never actually takes her advice). Face it, Kenny is unstable and he's incapable of working with anyone except himself.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jane a good 'big sister?' Yeah, so good she left her actual little sister to die.
It’s not that simple. She tried to save her sister as long as she could, even carried her at some point, but the girl just ceased to exist. Finally they got stuck on a roof surrounded by zombies and Jane couldn't do shit except trying to convince her to jump. When words failed, she made a threat she’s goanna leave her and jumped first hoping her sister goanna snap out of it eventually. She didn't.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Only if you agreed with him. Otherwise he wouldn't help Lee when he got pinned down under the door by walkers and would refuse to go with him to save Clem in the last episode.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, Kenny was an impulsive, selfish asshole who though that because he went through some shit he is now justified in giving everyone shit and getting violent when somebody questions his plans.

It was nice to put a bullet in his stupid ass.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Season 2 was worse as a whole pack. But I liked how you can remind everyone that everything is shit and I don't accept you apologies, everywhere you go. The whole "choices" stink from the beginning. Who would leave a dying dog and not end his suffering. Man, fuck that shit. The new cast was poorly done, even if we wanted to like someone they were soon killed off. This detachment from the characters made me go full berserk. It's like Clem is an angel of death, sending next victims to their inevitable fate. The zombies having better sneak skills than Garret are always slow, but after a couple of cuts, well fuck me, they are dangerous! We may play a kid girl, but she has still more intelligence than most of the adult cannon fodder. That idiot redneck with the older guy for example, a complete waste of oxygene. Sarah was awful too, it was like watching an autist in zombie apocalypse --- > [Leave her]. Everyone wants to be alpha male and fuck everyone else. The most reasonable ones were Luke and Jane. Luke was a good guy, most likeable, but they had to kill him in a stupid trip through lake. That Russian Harry Potter was annoying too, there should be a choice to kill him just after retrieving the med bag. Or go with him to his hiding place. Instead we have no choice and let him go. Just like that. Never trust a Russian. So, after leaving a pile of bodies I went for full grimdark ending. I let Kenny to kill Jane, and after that shoot him in the face. Ending ? Little Clem with mah baby Alvin Jr. is having a little break in the country. She puts some gut smell on her and bravely walk towards the zombies with the kid. Comedy gold. I watched the others, liked one with Jane and refusing shelter for that ginger hippy and da crew. Turned out that he has a gun. Good riddance.

As for the puzzles - there are none, just click through the objects occasionally and have a conversation with npc x. And some shooting galleries and QTE. Even interactive films in the 90's had more gameplay than this title.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, I had no idea why TT ditched the puzzles and refused to give the player some freedom like in Se1. Not a big deal in the first place, but it was nice to explore a bit and Lee commenting on various objects and sceneries made me feel more immersed (hate this fucking word).

I don’t think that the cast was inferior, it’s just that the pace throughout the entire season was off and you never had enough time to actually know your team better. It’s clear that the scenario went through many changes during the production - hence some characters were added late in the game while others got marginalised, even though the first two episodes rendered them important.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Jane a good 'big sister?' Yeah, so good she left her actual little sister to die.
It’s not that simple. She tried to save her sister as long as she could, even carried her at some point, but the girl just ceased to exist. Finally they got stuck on a roof surrounded by zombies and Jane couldn't do shit except trying to convince her to jump. When words failed, she made a threat she’s goanna leave her and jumped first hoping her sister goanna snap out of it eventually. She didn't.
Coulda woulda shoulda.

Deleted member 7219

Coulda woulda shoulda.

Sounded like her sister was basically like Sarah. Sarah, a detriment to the rest of the group, a person so stupid she wouldn't work when taken prisoner in a camp run by a madman, a person so stupid she wouldn't get up and fucking move when in a house surrounded by zombies.

Remember this is the world of The Walking Dead, stupid people shouldn't get to live. Imbeciles can have some purposes I guess (hard labour), but Sarah showed she wasn't capable even of that.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Getting to kill Sarah was the best moment of the season by far. :smug:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Impressive impressions :

Overall I think I liked it. But it wasn't perfect by any means.

I love Clem, but sometimes playing as an 11 years old girl just shatters my immersion. Seriously, she gets shot and then she wakes up a couple of hours later ? She should've died from the shock alone, goddamnit.

I really tried to imagine what my reaction would be if I was in situations like these, which is the only way you can enjoy this stuff imo, otherwise you'll stop giving a fuck and just go on a rampage. So I always tried to remain neutral in disputes, trying to preserve the integrity of the group. I ended up with Jane, cause she cared about Clem, and she was a hardened survivor. Best odds and all that.
Luke's death was bullshit, it was one of those Biowarian moments where you know he's gonna die from the get-go. Total dick move from Bonnie and Mike, but also kinda understandable.

I understand what they tried to do with Carver, basically a Governor figure, but he lacked charisma, not even Michael Madsen's voice could make up for that.
Kenny. I was happy to see him again, but he was a shell of a human being, even with Sarita. And when she died, he set himself on a path towards self-destruction, I guess it's a small relief that he didn't die torn to pieces.

Looking forward to Season 3. I really hope they don't go for the time skip, cause that would be kinda hard to explain.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Just played Season 1. I enjoyed it quite a bit for most of the game, but at the end when I realized how fake the C&C was I grew pretty disappointed. You can choose to save Kenny in episode 4, apparently a big decision, but then in the next episode he dies from a fall "just because." In Episode 1 you choose between two people to save, but whoever you choose ends up getting shot later by Lily in an argument. I checked to see if you could change the argument to prevent her somehow or make her go for the real culprit - you can't. Oh and if you choose to let her stay with the group she steals your truck. Oh and that guy who steals Clementine - obviously it doesn't matter whether you choose to take the goods from the car or not, because you HAVE TO in order for that man to play his part.

All of this shit, combined with the oppressive bleakness of the story, really served to leave me with a sour aftertaste upon completion of the game. It always ends up with Lee dying (what does cutting your arm off even do anyway?), Clementine alone and that couple being the only two who are left. We like to criticize Bioware C&C, but this is worse. Bioware at least are willing to let characters have variable fates, and when their C&C is fake they do a better job of "hiding" it. What's worse is how big a deal Telltale makes of it, with that message at the beginning of each episode and comparison chart at the end showing the choices. Fuck you Telltale. You're not special. RPGs have been doing this for years and they do a better job of it than you do.

Anyway, is it the same shit in Season 2? Or The Wolf Among Us? Because if so I may pass. Now that I've been exposed to their railroading I don't think I could enjoy another one even before they make it apparent the uselessness of a certain choice.

A horse of course

Just played Season 1. I enjoyed it quite a bit for most of the game, but at the end when I realized how fake the C&C was I grew pretty disappointed. You can choose to save Kenny in episode 4, apparently a big decision, but then in the next episode he dies from a fall "just because." In Episode 1 you choose between two people to save, but whoever you choose ends up getting shot later by Lily in an argument. I checked to see if you could change the argument to prevent her somehow or make her go for the real culprit - you can't. Oh and if you choose to let her stay with the group she steals your truck. Oh and that guy who steals Clementine - obviously it doesn't matter whether you choose to take the goods from the car or not, because you HAVE TO in order for that man to play his part.

All of this shit, combined with the oppressive bleakness of the story, really served to leave me with a sour aftertaste upon completion of the game. It always ends up with Lee dying (what does cutting your arm off even do anyway?), Clementine alone and that couple being the only two who are left. We like to criticize Bioware C&C, but this is worse. Bioware at least are willing to let characters have variable fates, and when their C&C is fake they do a better job of "hiding" it. What's worse is how big a deal Telltale makes of it, with that message at the beginning of each episode and comparison chart at the end showing the choices. Fuck you Telltale. You're not special. RPGs have been doing this for years and they do a better job of it than you do.

Anyway, is it the same shit in Season 2? Or The Wolf Among Us? Because if so I may pass. Now that I've been exposed to their railroading I don't think I could enjoy another one even before they make it apparent the uselessness of a certain choice.

TWAU is pretty much the same, yeah. There's a whole bunch of bullshit about the final "Court" scene playing out according to the choices you've made throughout each episode, but really it's just NPCs making throwaway references to what you did or said to them and then the exact same thing happening at the end regardless.

It's all well and good to say "you don't need meaningful C&C if you think your choices have meaning when you make them", but C&C does not exist in a vacuum - pointless C&C is so common to such games that anyone who's played a couple of Telltale titles will expect their decisions to be meaningless from the beginning. The only game I remember doing something slightly intelligent with this whole "every road leads to the same destination" concept was W1tcher.

garren

Arcane
Patron
At least the first season of Walking Dead (never played the second one) had some very minor "puzzles" to solve. I tried The Wolf Among Us and it's just quicktime events and clicking at the right item at a scene to advance the plot. I doubt I'll ever touch a Telltale game again.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
just wanted to say that jane was the correct choice. fight me.

also this isn't a fucking adventure game lol

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
btw

Metro was right about one thing, they're just going to do a shitty timeskip that quickly makes a quick reference to your choice. prolly gonna be some annoying shit where teenage clementine takes care of negro toddler - kind of mirroring season 1. I can just see it now

5 YEARS AFTER SEASON 2. Clementine is an awkward cel-shaded jailbait blackanese. AJ is a stupid african version of Duck. They are in X random location. "Wow AJ, remember back when we were at: (that hardware store / wellington / traveling in the woods)? Sure was rough. A real shame we had to (kill that family / fight the family after turning them away / run away from wellington). Sigh. I sure do miss (Jane / Kenny)"

AJ says something stupid

Battle with walkers. AJ screams like an idiot. Clementine kicks them in the knee and hits them with a screwdriver in the skull.

AJ cries. Player gets a choice with how they react to AJ's crying. Game claims AJ will remember this. He doesn't.

THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON 3

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Of course, there's no other way to do it. You think they'd actually write two divergent storylines? This is a company that can't even get Episode 2 of Tales from the Borderplands out after three months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom