Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

poetic codex

Augur
Quick graphics whore first impression. This looks more like an alpha not a beta. The graphics are covered in this weird fuzzy mesh...hard to explain. There's a lot of dithering and flickering textures over the shadows. I have a gtx 770 and it's maxing out the core clock on anything above simplest graphics. Yikes.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Am I missing something or is there no default quicksave key? Also MLMarkland I'm not trying to be a dick but y'all might as well get prepared now for hearing this A LOT:

"The camera controls are clunky, unintuitive and annoying and I hate you."

I spent 2 years working with the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine.

Quick graphics whore first impression. This looks more like an alpha not a beta. The graphics are covered in this weird fuzzy mesh...hard to explain. There's a lot of dithering and flickering textures over the shadows. I have a gtx 770 and it's maxing out the core clock on anything above simplest graphics. Yikes.

There might be something with 770s. This is the second report regarding that card I've seen. I know similar / lesser cards can run it consistently over 60. Definitely something we'll flag to look into (along with general optimization).

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Soooo like the exploring and options you have so far. I also encountered a unfinished area.

Like the fact that you can hit eachother with friendlyfire and that there are alot of options (so far) for the skills and abilities.

If i were to make a new party i would make it abit different now that i understand the game abit better.
I also like the fact that i can attack first (if i want to). I can also trick / lie / cheat my way into areas.

There are... problems... The inventory ui... I dont like it :(

And then there are bugs like turning the game upside down if you try to change settings while on the world map.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh man I just accidentally smashed Angela Deth in the face with a shotgun for 8pts. And on that note I will

:excellent:

to inXile for this early Xmas present, and go to bed before my day at work tomorrow becomes any more delirious.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Watched the stream, looks great except the inventory. Any indication if the inventory / loot windows can be modded? I know they will annoy, already from watching.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Watched the stream, looks great except the inventory. Any indication if the inventory / loot windows can be modded? I know they will annoy, already from watching.

Inventory is high on the list of things to iterate on. There was consideration given to tackling it prior to the early beta, but it was wiser to do on a longer timeline.

imweasel

The inventory bugs me too. Other than that everything looks great.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dammit :/ I won't be able to play till sunday... Just gonna watch me some streams porbably :/

Edit: Maybe my "super" office computer able to run this. hımmm...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Text is a pain to read everywhere and gets only worse the higher the resolution. Do something about that and change the fonts while you're at it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Played 3 hours or so with a custom party and got halfway or so through the AgCentre. I put it on Hard difficulty but turns out it was on Medium all this time, so looking forward to how that changes. Was too easy on Medium. Going through with Nietzsche the blunt weapon brawler (very effective), a sniper character, Marx the lockpicker/shotgun and Ayn Rand the talker/pistol.

Not super impressed but conforming to my "will be a fun romp, not a super classic" expectations so far. I don't see a lot of special types of attacks making the combat rather repetitive, not having found any demolitions or 'special use' items yet. The encounter design in the AgCentre isn't great often leaving you with open spaces and a few enemies. The one where you tackle a few supaflies and pod people with the exploding pods nearby is a good one, though, and I expect a pretty hair-raising one on Hard difficulty. Generally the areas didn't seem particularly special in any way.

Writing is OK, need to finish at least AgCentre to see how the twists and turns pan out.

Big fan of the indoor environments, the outdoor ones tend to look less impressive and more budget. But then, it's hard to make brown desert rocky areas look great under these conditions.

Camera is fine for me, but I'd rather full tilt functionally so I can use middle mouse button to freely adjust as I go. It's also the best way to deal with NWN2 camera. Indoors there's a lot of clipping.

UI is bad. Or rather, functional but ugly.
  1. Party shared inventory. Please. All this swapping around when moving inventory items across players doesn't even cost AP in battle. There's no point.
  2. Basic issue is nothing is exactly easy on the eyes, yet there isn't a whole lot of consistency in style. And what style there is, is an ugly style anyhow. It's like Fallout but worse.
  3. I thought item comparisons were in? Maybe I just don't know how to do it?
  4. Dragging ammo clips into gun slots in inventory is tedious, why not draw ammo from inventory directly?
A few bugs like the rabbits animation freezing leaving them in the air Matrix-style; the East Airlock area seems generally buggy with the 4th fan button (starting from centre) hard to select and I could never get the middle conecting doors to work properly so had to move everyone through the fans. Frequent crashes at random places, and other usual Beta stuff, but it's not unplayable.

Will keep going, seems like a competent game and there's a while of development to go yet.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Watched theadrain stream, it looked graphically to me like early-mid 2000s game, and it made me sadexcited to pretend I'm 16 again and playing good RPGs instead of DX:IW, FO3, Halo 2, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
  1. Party shared inventory. Please. All this swapping around when moving inventory items across players doesn't even cost AP in battle. There's no point.

Uh encumbrance?

You could at least ask for all inventories to be on the same screen WITHOUT being shared, like in Eternity.

Tigranes

Arcane
Add up the party strength for total encumbrance then. The amount of time wasted sorting items back and forth is the major annoying time-waster. Or actually make it tactical by (1) making item transfer in combat cost $, and (2) making item transfer impossible when party members are too far apart (I could do it at pretty far distances), and (3) redoing the inventory so it's not a scroll list with less than 10 items on the screen at 1920x1080. Right now, it sucks. It's the same as IE inventory but even more annoying.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
By the way... Are you planning different phases of the beta test where we only test a handful of things? Or is it more a of a general test all the way to release?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Here's my first bug: Windows 8.1 cursor appears over the in-game cursor. Has allowed me to also submit one about the horrible mouse lag (in-game cursor lags behind the windows cursor). Lucky.

EY61Nl1.jpg

CWagner

Augur
Playing on 1920*1080 with an i3, 16gb ram and a 1024MB GTX 550TI. Besides the mouse feeling weird (Hello Unity!) everything runs fine :)

And now my boss moved the meeting back 3:30h, perfect :D

First random encounter killed me after I got lost in a highly radioactive area. Oh well ;)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Fixed the mouse lag. For anyone else using Windows 8.1, you'll need to use Microsoft's mouse lag hack as it doesn't work on Wasteland 2 by default.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Add a new String with the path to your WL2 exe.

For me that is F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wasteland 2\Build\WL2.exe

Add the value as "NoDTToDITMouseBatch"

Go to command prompt (make sure you run as administrator).

Type (or paste from link)

Rundll32 apphelp.dll,ShimFlushCache

Restart computer

Sensuki

Arcane
Also by the way, I can run Wasteland 2 without Steam. Which also means I can probably copy the game out of the Steam folder.

Which also means I can upload it to a torrent and other people can play it. Not that I will ... but you might want to do something about that before it leaks ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom