Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Well, if someone has an extra key and doesn't want to play the beta, I would be very interested about it. :) And I could gift my own final version key forward.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hmm.. that means I get only one more? Should have been a warning for that. What if I only had one copy and wanted it on GOG? :rpgcodex:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm.. that means I get only one more? Should have been a warning for that. What if I only had one copy and wanted it on GOG? :rpgcodex:

Everybody who has the beta automatically has more than one copy, I'm pretty sure.

CWagner

Augur
It'll probably be similar to SRR, one steam key and some possibility to get it DRM free (or as the Steam version seems to be DRM free, rather as a direct download).

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
One annoying thing is that I had a talker character, but other characters kept initiating dialog and I got fucked out of using my speech skills I had bought.

Seriously? What is this, 1998? :O

MLMarkland Brother None I thought you guys had a system for handling this. :rpgcodex:

Step 1 - Click on the portrait of the current squad speaker
Step 2 - Click on the portrait of who you want to be the current squad speaker
Step 3 - Enjoy roleplaying
Step 4 - Report any bugs to the Early Beta issue reporting site

Kem0sabe

Arcane
MLMarkland do you guys have kind of internal metrics tracking system for quest choices, player deaths in combat, world map travel survival and so on? Would be interesting to see some stats at the end of the beta about how many were killed by frogs and so on.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
One annoying thing is that I had a talker character, but other characters kept initiating dialog and I got fucked out of using my speech skills I had bought.

Seriously? What is this, 1998? :O

I wish it was 1998 :/

Not me. I played those games already. Would be really sucky to have to wait 15 years for the promising Kickstarters.

And surely we can both agree that arbitrary "woops, program initiated convo with this random dude, so now your speaker is out of luck" is sucky?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Could somebody tell me please what areas/ how much contentis in the beta ? I want to know how much spoilers I'll get before the final release

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Could somebody tell me please what areas/ how much contentis in the beta ? I want to know how much spoilers I'll get before the final release

Depending on playstyle, between 15 - 25% of the game. It looks like folks are averaging at least 10-12 hour playthroughs with reloads, but that's based on a very limited sample size.
Arizona World Map
Ranger Citadel
Ag Center
Highpool
Rail Nomads
Plus a variety of smaller random encounter maps and exploration areas

uaciaut

Augur
Recommended for Early Beta, not minimum for Early Beta and not minimum nor recommended for final release.

We're going to set the specs in large part based on the results of the Early Beta as well as internal and external profiling and the overall upcoming optimization phase.

Got a guesstimate on the final required specs? I'm running on a pretty old rig and i'm not going to change it any time soon (or at least by the time the game is out) so i'd be genuinely interested, especially since the game looks like it could run on my pc.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Man this character creation screen is so xboxy. List based sucks, at least when done like this.

Buuut

The actual character creation is really good.

Females models need more meat in their backside, tbh. And in half the leg models they look like they are wearing diapers. Is there something in the Wasteland that I am not yet aware about that will make my characters crap their pants (such as a gas or something?????)

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
True. Fallout managed to have everything in one screen and readable at 640x480. This needs several and scrolling too.
At least they said they're still working on it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
my gripes so far:
the font sucks
game is not alt-tab friendly in fullscreen
all scrollable lists let you scroll waay below/above max last/first item, which is kinda meh.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
And then there are bugs like turning the game upside down if you try to change settings while on the world map.
I did that during testing earlier, but I wasn't sure exactly what caused it, thought it was just "random." :)

Am I missing something or is there no default quicksave key?
There's no quicksave in right now. It was literally one of the first things I noticed. :(

If all these games are using it, it's probably not "piss poor".

They'll optimize when the games are closer to release.
Unprofessional opinion based on my own limited experience messing with it, and based on comments from my friends who work with it: Unity is a good engine for being able to "do what you want" with, but it is not really cutting-edge as far as visuals and effects go, and it does not perform well out of the box or take well to doing demanding stuff. I think it suffers from a lot of performance issues RE: draw calls and culling, for instance. I think inXile are already pushing the limits of its capabilities with respect to things like the size of levels and number of art assets used simultaneously.

Last, thanks to MLMarkland for hanging out and answering questions. :salute:

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Character #1:

xsyUCHb.png

Would take a picture of the back, but there's no point as females are not flattering.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man this character creation screen is so xboxy. List based sucks, at least when done like this.

All the lists there, from inventory to character creation to lootwindow, feel more or less bad.

I do hope they come up with a more elegant solution.

Drowed

Arcane
Well, if someone has an extra key and doesn't want to play the beta, I would be very interested about it.

Same here.

But I don't know if my almost 5 years old computer (shit third world country dweller here) will be able to run the game in a presentable way. I even had a little slowdown when playing Shadowrun Returns, so... I imagine it will be worse here. Sadly.

I'm trying not to watch any of the videos because I wanted to test the game first hand, but the way the thing are with all that hype, even here in codex, dunno if I'll last long. :|

Sensuki

Arcane
Beta is DRM free it will be leaked on torrents very soon probably.

ROFL @ the Goth Ninja leg design, just had to have a character with that. I (unfortunately) actually know a guy who buys multiple hundred dollar clothing pieces like that.

ZPsxikh.png

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So people already comparing it to NWN2 in terms of camera movement makes me so glad I finally didn't decide to back this despite intial interest.
I've no interest in playing a camera simulator despite the rest looking ok-good (if unpolished).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Character #1:

Would take a picture of the back, but there's no point as females are not flattering.
I am disappointed in the number of people complaining about such trivial shit as the size of the female characters' butts/boobs/etc. Especially given you are barely going to see those characters up close ever again.
:rpgcodex:

So people already comparing it to NWN2 in terms of camera movement makes me so glad I finally didn't decide to back this despite intial interest.
I've no interest in playing a camera simulator despite the rest looking ok-good (if unpolished).
The camera is way better and far more consistent than NWN2's. But, as a consequence of free rotation, it still requires some babysitting, especially in interior levels (which unfortunately are sometimes too cramped for it to effectively deal with).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom