Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Waylanders - historical fantasy time travel RPG inspired by Dragon Age: Origins

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Greek Scythian Mercenary
Brigantia has recently begun trading with some regions of Greece, especially Scythia. When he was a young teenager, Prince Lugaid was sent to Scythia to study their advanced combat tactics. The Scythian player character is his instructor from his time there. The Scythian believes strongly in the glory of battle, and has years of training in the art of war. They specialize in the shield & spear fighting style typical of Greece, but are also extremely proficient with a bow and arrow, and are known for being one of the best skirmishers in the world. Everything they know about Celtic culture and society has come second-hand from Prince Lugaid- this is their first time ever visiting Brigantia. So, they have very little personal connection to the Celtic religion or way of life, and may find it rather odd compared to their own.

If you play as a Scythian, you have traveled all the way from Greece at the request of King Ith on his to meet the Tuatha de Danaan. Ith is paying you handsomely, because he knows you’re one of the best fighters in the world, and he trusts you completely. He also knows that you won’t be intimidated by the Tuatha, as you don’t see them as gods.

Scythians were not Greek! :argh:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2473943

Brigantia - First look!

Greetings adventurers,

The Waylanders development is progressing in a positive way, and we want to show you the latest version of one of the most emblematic locations in the game: Brigantia.

Brigantia is a bustling coastal city, and home to King Ith and his court. During the Celtic Era, Brigantia has the largest and densest population in Kaltia. The Tower, an ancient lighthouse, is located here. Also, the Celtic hillfort is near the Tower.

And now is time to watch the results by yourself.

Brigantia evolved from this...

d46d9fdc97e2a281fc7d7c5c41e535da_original.png

Brigantia concept art - The Hillfort and the Tower

... to this!

Keep in mind this video is a work in progress and it doesn't represent the final version of the game, so expect a bunch of cool improvements in the future. But hey... we think we are on the right way! We hope you like it.

Projects we love

We want to recommend two interesting campaigns which are now live on Kickstarter.

Afterlight
409b00082c27fc202247ddfa9c6eb5ca_original.gif

Afterlight is a puzzle-adventure game in 2.5D withenvironmental narrative, set in Saturn's moon Titan, focused on smooth and unique gameplay and including finely crafted animations. Absolutely recommended for its artistic work and its interesting way to tell a story.

Mega Metro City
Mega Metro City is a board game, inspired in the classic beat'em up video games that were so successful in the 80’s arcades. More than 80 miniatures and a lot of stretch goals unlocked. Only 48 hours left! Just take a look to some elements to feel that 80's arcade style:

Click on the image to visit Mega Metro City campaign

daveyd

Savant
Unsurprisingly, the final part of their previously Kickstarted adventure game AR-K still hasn't been released, nor have there been any KS updates since June of 2018 when they told us it would be released last summer.

daveyd

Savant
Unsurprisingly, the final part of their previously Kickstarted adventure game AR-K still hasn't been released, nor have there been any KS updates since June of 2018 when they told us it would be released last summer.

Well thanks for the link but they've delayed it so many times I'll believe it when it's actually released Technically Spring extends until 20th of June so they I guess they have 3 more weeks. As I've probably said before in this thread, the number one issue with the developer is their terrible lack of communication. I'm sure they'll eventually put out something, but as to whether it will be something good remains in doubt.

I don't have much interest in Waylanders because it's RTwP but more importantly I don't trust these developers. At best they're amateurs who over-promise and under-deliver.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2542253

More details about combat system

Greetings adventurers!

A short-but-cool update today. As you know, combat is one of the key features on The Waylanders. We are working hard to provide you with deep combat system and innovative skills and moves.

Just an example:

You play with a long-ranged style character. Your bow is equipped and the enemies are too close. Numerical disadvantage and wrong weapon. Bad situation.

It seems like your end is near, but... not yet. Your character has some skills to survive.

This is a short example of how deep (and cool) will the combat system be in The Waylanders.

Remember this is a work in progress feature, so expect major changes and improvements.

Oh! There's one more thing: the Mourian character used in the video will be part of The Waylanders story. A relevant one. His name is Berath. We'll give you more details soon ;)

Projects we love

Kietoparao
- We all love video games (The Waylanders is funded thanks to all of you!). But sometimes, our vision needs a rest, doing screen-free activities. And that's why we find Kietoparao really interesting. If you have children, we absolutely recommend this campaign. Kietoparao is a fun and educational kit to beat screens. The idea is to replicate the characteristics of a smartphone in a kit: lightweight, lots of entertainment and always in your your pocket. There are 2 different kits available, with a lot of entertainment ready to go and have fun!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

#Hillforts look just like basic buildings of the #Celtic Era. But their main structures stood the test of time for more than 2,000 years.

They are part of the #CelticCulture. Our culture. And you'll find a bunch of them in your adventure through The Waylanders world!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2567520

Healer preview - Abilities

Greetings adventurers,

We want to show you a preview for one of the six basic classes, including some abilities, spells and attacks. Let's take a quick look to the healer.

5e56c116bb2ed28e8dedd3f97b2ba064_original.png

If you prefer using magick in order to help others, play as a healer. Call upon the aid of the spirits of the earth in order to provide your companions with defensive or offensive buffs, or use those same spirits to debuff your enemies. When your companions have been attacked, cast spells to heal them, or to remove debuffs.

Healer features: healing and protection, buffs, debuffs

3e0cdcd4c182d3911458dcf2c21724f7_original.png

Your group will feel much more comfortable if you count on a healer in the team. But, even being a class focused on protecting the party, healers also have their own offensive tools to beat opponents.

Remember: this is a work in progress content, so expect some improvements and changes.

Tell us what do you think about the healer and its abilities in the comments. Feedback and suggestions are thankfully received!

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Firswt time I saw this thread. They only raised ~160K. Doesn't seem anywhere near enough to finance what I'm seeing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Here's the IGN session:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432712414/the-waylanders-the-rpg-videogame/posts/2603195

A big surprise for all of you

Greetings adventurers,

Second update of the day, but there are strong (and cool) reasons to do this.

IGN Live
If you missed The Waylanders on IGN Live Show at Gamescom, you can watch it here!

The Waylanders on IGN Live at Gamescom 2019

https://www.ign.com/videos/2019/08/...-by-dragon-age-and-baldurs-gate-gamescom-2019

A lot of great news today, right? ;)

There is one more thing... Say hello to Chris Avellone and Inon Zur!
We are excited to announce that joining narrative lead Emily Grace Buck, The Waylanders also sees the addition of legendary scriptwriter, Chris Avellone, alongside Emmy Award-winning musician, Inon Zur (Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout 3, Crysis) who will be along for the ride as the lead musician on the project.

Chris Avellone brings with him an extensive resume and has been working on The Waylanders for the past 18 months and adds to the already top-rated writing team which includes narrative lead Emily Grace Buck (Lead Writer), Mike Laidlaw (Consultant) and Sergio Prieto (Game Director).

Inon Zur, the lead musician for The Waylanders project, is known for his internationally acclaimed work on the Fallout saga and its unforgettable main theme. Zur has seen his name in the credits of many of gaming’s biggest heavy hitters including Dragon Age: Origins, Soulcalibur V, Dragon’s Dogma, and more. Oh! And he is an Emmy award winner and three-time BAFTA nominee!

We hope you like all these great news!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/the-waylanders-gamescom-preview-485.html

The Waylanders Gamescom Preview
by Joost "Myrthos" Mans, 2019-09-03

xbanner-1478.jpg.pagespeed.ic.E2uSesG6UE.webp

Last year at Gamescom I saw The Waylanders for the first time. The game was announced just before the start of Gamescom that year and since then they have received a lot of useful feedback from potential players. I won't go into details about what I already described last year, which is why this article is a bit shorter than usual.

The game is inspired by the myths of the Spanish region of Galicia and the story takes place in the Celtic era in Brigantia and in the middle ages, both in Galicia. You start the game in the Celtic era, where magic exists and is considered to be something normal. In the medieval era, magic is forbidden.

At the end of the first act you will learn how to travel through time. And although The Waylanders is a party based game, you'll travel alone. However, you will meet some of your companions in the medieval era. But, they will not know you as they suffer from a mental disorder that prevents them from remembering you. It is your task to help them remember. Your choices are important, so what you do in one time era can impact the other time era.

Independent of the era you are in, you and your companions will have the same skills, to prevent you to use completely different tactics in each of the eras.

There are 6 basic classes in The Waylanders: warrior, guardian, ranger, rogue, sorcerer and healer. Each class also has 5 specializations, totaling to 30 different specializations. From these you create your own character at the start of the game.

Your party consists of five characters and there are nine potential companions in total, six of them will have the mental condition in the medieval era. Three of them are special as they are immortal. When you gain experience all your companions will gain experience as well. This makes sure that every companion stays interesting.

All of the companions will have a few quests, but you will only receive these quests when you have a good relationship with that companion. Decisions you take during the game will affect the relationship you have with your companions and because of that you will not be able to access all of the companion quests in one playthrough.

The idea behind the combat system has not changed from last year. It is real-time with pause and you can queue your commands for the party members, when the game is paused. When the game is unpaused the commands are executed quite fast. Faster than last year, because they felt it made combat more tactical to speed things up.

Next to that, in combat you can use formations, where some, or all of the party members join to create a formation and act as one. In the process the stats of the combined formation is the summation of the individual stats of the party members in that formation. Each of the party members has to two unique formations and they are dependent on the class. As the healer class was new this year, a formation of that class was shown, where the party members change into a huge creature that has the life force of the combined members of the team and can do quite some damage.

The three special, immortal companions can neither start nor join a formation. Instead they have special abilities that are unique to them.

In case someone in the party dies, this lasts as long as the combat lasts. At the end of the combat the party member is resurrected at full health, also the health of other party members will be restored at the end of combat.

What is noticeable from last year is that the game looks somewhat better. Also the user interface is very clean and there are no UI elements that need to bevisible when exploring to give a maximum view of the environment to the player. The camera can be rotated freely and can be zoomed in and out.

The game plays with keyboard and mouse, but if you prefer to play with a controller that is possible too. The UI when using a controller is very different from the UI when using keyboard and mouse, to make sure the optimal UI is available depending on your preferences.

The Waylanders is not an open world game. The narrative is linear and takes you through the various locations in the Celtic and medieval eras and has an estimated playing time of about 40 hours. Your decisions will have consequences though, on both the story and your companions and there will be more than one ending possible.

The Waylanders is scheduled to be released in June 2020.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom