Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
i just hope that it will not be like underworld
Worst case scenario and fear but chances of dodging such terrible fate aren't half as bad as they look
These devs at least have one brilliant progammer (Julian) and Ted worked in industry as recent as Oblivion, trying and failing to save it from Todd
They're currently bringing more talent and securing finances. Project is in its infancy, I don't expect it to devolve into UA turd

They're serious about it. It's really nice dream for now. They said they need and expect serious budget. We'll see who will give them one
This would be nice high risk/YUGE! profit investment opportunity for someone like Paradox/THQ-Nordic etc.

Original Developers of FALLOUT, IWD working on a BG SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! TAKE MY MONEY!

Original Developers of FALLOUT, TORMENT working on a TORMENT SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! START THE HYPE TRAIN!

When are you gonna learn, guys? It's pathetic.

My exact first thoughts.

Also:
  • Shroud of the Avatar
  • Underworld Ascendant

Mortmal

Arcane
Original Developers of FALLOUT, IWD working on a BG SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! TAKE MY MONEY!

Original Developers of FALLOUT, TORMENT working on a TORMENT SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! START THE HYPE TRAIN!

My exact first thoughts.

Also:
  • Shroud of the Avatar
  • Underworld Ascendant
yes solasta will likely be the last game i pledge to, got scammed with underworld, now i demand a demo.

Molina

Savant

My exact first thoughts.

Also:
  • Shroud of the Avatar
  • Underworld Ascendant
yes solasta will likely be the last game i pledge to, got scammed with underworld, now i demand a demo.
To be honest, it could be a great game if he remains humble to the end. In itself, it is enough to make a new Daggerfall with some QoL and more variety. I have always wondered why no one wanted to carry on the torch, by the way. Daggerfall was carried out in 2 years with the resources of the time.

Mortmal

Arcane

My exact first thoughts.

Also:
  • Shroud of the Avatar
  • Underworld Ascendant
To be honest, it could be a great game if he remains humble to the end. In itself, it is enough to make a new Daggerfall with some QoL and more variety. I have always wondered why no one wanted to carry on the torch, by the way. Daggerfall was carried out in 2 years with the resources of the time.
I was easy to not fuckup underworld, i do not give the benefits of the doubt to anyone after such spectacular fuck up.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
They should snatch Clayton, who would you trust more than someone who's been playing around with your code for over a decade?

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ask them if there will be hit chance in combat and if they have played Dark Messiah.

I'm glad they start this and I'm very curious to see how the project evolves.

The premises cited are ok, except this one:

• Non-linear and branching endless quests, which evolve the world, like a great virtual gamemaster running a pen and paper campaign

Pen & Paper campaigns don't run forever*. Most crpgs since 80s are designed to be limited and in the best cases, replayable. Even if they achieve to create some new type of random quests, with more organic and diverse feel, with some sort of deep pre-design with millions of variables, what's the reason to play with the same character for more time that the usual to finish codex top 10 crpgs? Probably this "endless content" concept is influenced by MMOs (bad) habits and mechanics, and some tendency to pathological escapism replacing traditional multiple, relatively short and diverse gaming experiences with grinding, farming, pretending, cheating and metagaming.

I would prefer if they include 100% unique quests, but if not, I hope they at least make randomised quests finite (3-4 spawns at max every type) and more detailed (not only by location-enemy-reward).

* I'm sure there are some weirdos in their 50s playing the same D&D campaign since 1983.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm glad they start this and I'm very curious to see how the project evolves.

The premises cited are ok, except this one:

• Non-linear and branching endless quests, which evolve the world, like a great virtual gamemaster running a pen and paper campaign

Pen & Paper campaigns don't run forever*. Most crpgs since 80s are designed to be limited and in the best cases, replayable. Even if they achieve to create some new type of random quests, with more organic and diverse feel, with some sort of deep pre-design with millions of variables, what's the reason to play with the same character for more time that the usual to finish codex top 10 crpgs? Probably this "endless content" concept is influenced by MMOs (bad) habits and mechanics, and some tendency to pathological escapism replacing traditional multiple, relatively short and diverse gaming experiences with grinding, farming, pretending, cheating and metagaming.

I would prefer if they include 100% unique quests, but if not, I hope they at least make randomised quests finite (3-4 spawns at max every type) and more detailed (not only by location-enemy-reward).

* I'm sure there are some weirdos in their 50s playing the same D&D campaign since 1983.

Everything in their pillars is in Daggerfall to an extent.

jungl

Augur
no beast races? Project already sounds low energy. If you can't be a asshole cat man that paws people to death then whats the point.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Strictly speaking any game that has even one quest you can repeat how much you want has endless quests. The appeal of endless quests is that it's endless quests. It's the same as Daggerfall. It's such a massive scale beyond anything else for one, and for two the quests are simply a way for you to go and play the procedurally generated dungeons in the game world which is a really damn good reasoning if the gameplay is enjoyable.

Strictly speaking any game that has even one quest you can repeat how much you want has endless quests. The appeal of endless quests is that it's endless quests. It's the same as Daggerfall. It's such a massive scale beyond anything else for one, and for two the quests are simply a way for you to go and play the procedurally generated dungeons in the game world which is a really damn good reasoning if the gameplay is enjoyable.

:notsureifserious:

grimace

Arcane
Let's keep this on topic with a juicy bit of information offered by "Ted":

I don't know if it's been answered yet, but it's an original setting but loosely high medieval
Very familiar with Age of Decadence. Might have a dev from it on our team ... mmmmaybe ...

How many devs worked on Age of Decadence (the #11 best RPG according to us)?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/age-of-decadence/credits

Iron Tower Studio Vince D. Weller, Nick Skolozdra (Flashback), Oscar Velzi (Elholm), Ivan Soloviov, Mazin Kassis, Eugene Mykytiuk
Special Thanks to Everyone who pre-ordered the game and supported us when we needed it the most.
Art Jason Noe, João Barradas, Roman Kychan (Ramielle), Grant Hillier
Writing Scott Hamm, Gareth Fouche, Chris McNeilly, Scott Endres
Russian Translation Team Translation Pioneers
Alma Mater RPGCodex
Music Ryan Paul, Diego Vergara
Sounds Daniel Persson, Ghanburighan
Promotion Anton Kirei, Felipe Pepe, Brandon Dunaway, Abouni

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom