Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 Interview with Tomasz Gop

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Personally, I would deem the tone of the enquiries to be rude -or at the very least, overly biased and abrasive- in pretty much any kind of civilised and official context I can think of. It seems unlikely that it would have anything to do with the interviewer's command of the English language, because even novice speakers tend to know how to express themselves politely. The questions in the interview simply exhibit a distinct lack of manners, quite likely as a result of the interviewer carrying over a particularly "brisk" style of interaction from a setting where it is acceptable (i.e. the Codex) to one where it is not.

As such, it would probably be wise to take Mrowak's concerns into serious consideration, as opposed to merely labelling them as being unfounded.

RPGMaster

Savant
Can RPGCodex interview Mike Laidlaw please? The only people who have interviewed him so far are cocksuckers and pussies.

made

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
On the other hand the tone in the Larian interview was *allegedly* too hostile as well, so I prefer to call bullshit on all of this, unless you can show me the questions that were aimed at *being hostile for no reason* instead of asking for details about a topic.
Looks like others have taken care of that already, and in far more detail than I would ever have the patience to. Personally, I don't care that much if you go all Angry Joe on an interviewee if that's gonna be your thing, but in this case I don't think it helped getting the desired response out of him, just a couple pats on the back from the more simple-minded Codexers.

Then again, I don't think you'd get anything but hype out of TG right now, he seems to be in full pre-release PR mode and only interested in getting across that TW2 is "for everybody, honest!". Maybe try again in a couple months when the dust has settled, then you can congratulate him for selling millions/ridicule him for the consoletard garbage that the game is, depending on prevalent Codex opinion.

space odyssey said:
god damn you are a faggot baron

:salute:

Baron, Mrowak - what's with the retarded butthurt? Why should we give this guy a free pass, before we know he hasn't just made an ArcaniA with Alchemy?

Tough questions are exactly what we all consumers should be after. Tom should know that there are people who care about RPG conventions, and fight their corner. The questions weren't stupid, or personally insulting. The limit is when they get so tough that the dev doesn't ever agree to get interviewed again. Tom is a big boy and should be able to hold his own - if he can't then that's his problem. If he can't (or is too offended to) defend the game against thorough questioning, then I for one know I shouldn't give this guy my 45 Euro. Did you really want Escapist-level cocksucking on a Codex interview? Perhaps pre-agree an offical Codex score of "97.5% Best RPG of the Millenium" as a condition of being gracious enough to talk to us?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good interview, VoD. Don't mind the enraged potato community and other Witcher fanboys. I haven't noticed any "hostility", just the regular Codex attitude.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder if VoD could do a Codex-style interview with Jeff Vogel on the topic of Avadon being dumbed down, collar-grabbing the bastard during the process. Renegade interrupt FTW!

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Made said:
Obviously, VoD had to make up for sucking true underground developer Larian's cock, so he conjured up all his biting wit for this interview. It's the kind of questions the Codex would like to throw at Bioware, but since they'd just laugh it off, CDPR has to substitute.

Made said:
And that interview isn't littered with witty remarks. It's obviously very different in tone compared to the CDPR interview.

Made said:
Looks like others have taken care of that already, and in far more detail than I would ever have the patience to. Personally, I don't care that much if you go all Angry Joe on an interviewee if that's gonna be your thing, but in this case I don't think it helped getting the desired response out of him, just a couple pats on the back from the more simple-minded Codexers.

uhm, all VOD did was bringing up Witcher flaws - asking how they d be improved upon ... imho in a pretty "neutral" way. heck, even the mainstream press interviews occassionaly dare to bring up flaws of previous games (months after their 10/10 review of course .... ) - your ammount of butthurt because he may have been 0,005% more critical sounding than in the interview with a previous dev would make N4G or Bioware Community proud :lol: fanboy faggotry at its best

good interview though, shame about the often dodgy answers but him mentioning demon souls (also in other interviews) gives me hope for TW2s combat.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
made said:
Understood, my rude and brisk tone prevented Tom Gop from answering a bit more extensively. Only stupid Codexers think otherwise.

made said:
Then again, I don't think you'd get anything but hype out of TG right now, he seems to be in full pre-release PR mode and only interested in getting across that TW2 is "for everybody, honest!".
No no no. It was my tone, remember? Not that he just does " full pre-release PR mode" everywhere.

made said:
Maybe try again in a couple months when the dust has settled, then you can congratulate him for selling millions/ridicule him for the consoletard garbage that the game is, depending on prevalent Codex opinion.
If I do anything I will do it depending on MY opinion, not any so-called prevalent Codex opinion.

commie said:
As for VoD, he's just butthurt that The Witcher 2 is going to kick Divinity 2's arse.
Hahahaha. You've got me there. That's how it all started!!!!1!! I had just preordered at GoG when I started to sense a severe butthurt in my... butt. Could it be that the Witcher 2 would be even better than Divinity 2, the best RPG of all time? I asked myself. Could it be that spamming the same 3-4 abilities in Divinity 2 (a top-notch combat system I very much approve of entirely) would be less fun than mashing your button and swipe through the combat in The Witcher 2? The thought started to bother me greatly. Holy shit, time to fix that feeling by being impertinent to Tomek Gop - a great man, a SENIOR producer - who certainly deserves way more respect, maybe an obeisance her and there, than I granted him in this interview.

Baron said:
Look forward to skipping over your line by line denial. :salute:
I won't go over every line, because it's getting too stupid for my taste. Suffice to say while I understand that you think I was being a dick I certainly hadn't any intention of being a dick. And frankly, I don't see where the dickish part comes in in a simple question like this:
Is stealth a viable approach to solve quests or does a stealth solution happen once or twice in the game as some sort of gimmick?
What's dickish about it? That I asked whether stealth will be a gimmick? Judging by his answer stealth will be a gimmick despite that he wouldn't call it that. Otoh they never said otherwise, so his answer makes sense. There's even zero negativity in that sentence unless you start to boot up your imagination and apply additional context to it like that it would be a bad thing if stealth was a mere gimmick.

It wasn't really necessary to delve into it too deeply because the game wasn't that hard, but it was fun to tinker around with anyways.
You conveniently forgot the first part, where I admitted liking the alchemy system, but I guess that part wouldn't help your argument much. Let's see if I can discover where I'm rude and brisk.
1) I said I liked the alchemy
2) I said I had fun tinkering around with it
3) despite the FACT that the game wasn't that hard (as to absolutely require tinkering around with it)

I can only assume it's part 3) where I say that the game wasn't that hard. Which is actually the truth. At the same time I never said that the game was so easy that it sucked. I merely wanted to imply that you only ever needed the health/mana regenerating potions plus the cat-potion to win the game without problems. Which is true.

It seems to me I'm always "dickish" in your book when I dare to mention something that could be interpreted a criticism. Here's the catch, if such harmless questions are enough to make a developer mortally offended (something I very much doubt) then THEY CAN GO FUCK THEMSELVES. Savvy?

I'm 36 years old. I can handle a different opinion without making a mortal enemy each time. If Tom Gop thought that the views I expressed were wrong, he should have pointed that out in his answers and explained his own position. If Tom Gop thought the questions were inappropriately worded he should have told me so. Communication. But he didn't, hence I assume there was no problem at all and you should too.

ironyuri

space odyssey said:
god damn you are a faggot baron

Fuck off, you faggot. BaROn is a true BRO.

Except for the fact I neither got to meet, or glass him in the face in Melbourne. Fuckin bottle ya cunts.

But whatever, ITT, he has been a true bro.

VoD's interview verged on trolling for trolling's sake. You can ask hard hitting, intelligent and probing questions without trying to put the interviewer on an uncomfortable backfoot with know-it-all, semi insulting remarks and asides that do not serve to further the answer you are trying to find.

At least VoD didn't call it "The Turder 2" in the interview, knowing his track record.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris Avellone said:
Anyway, so here's the dialogue with RPG Codex. BTW, when these were given to me, they were put with the disclaimer that the questions "are neither 'loaded' or hostile." Which immediately put me on my guard, since you know as soon as an interviewer says that, they realize the questions could immediately be construed as hostile and they're probably parked outside your house with a gun waiting for you to open the front door:

SERGE: Here are the questions. They are neither "loaded" nor hostile. I see them as interesting, and even if you disagree with some opinions, you can easily dispute them in your answers.

However, if some questions bother you, I'd be glad to replace or reword them.

Nonsense, I say, and as a result, the questions here are presented uncut and unedited. As it turns out, none of the questions were really very hostile at all, which was disappointing. I tried to bait Serge by asking him some hostile questions, but that didn't work, either.
When did the Codex get populated with a bunch of babies?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Dear Mrowak, bro...

VentilatorOfDoom, my bro... The point I was driving at here was that from purely journalistic view your article did not exhibit high enough standard, in spite of what some other Codexers my think they are. Believe me, this is not the kind of interview I would like to read in some hypothetically good gaming mag (if it existed).

As I said before, the problem with it is that in the course of the interview I lost the thing crucial for a good article - impartial voice. I know in this day and age with bloated mass media we have the concept might strike as alien. It seems that nowadays 'journalists' have some hidden agenda in their articles - they want to prove their point and they use every means possible to achieve that. It often appears that they do so completely unknowingly to themselves. There are those among them who will resort to 'cocksucking'. There are others who will attempt to talk down their speaker into submission.

Granted, as you say, it is impossible for an individual to completely abstract himself from his views. However, in a good review/interview/essay some sort of removal of one's own ideas is necessary if only because the journalist mediates between the community and his speaker. The tone he uses, the manners speak volumes to the interviewee about the type of audience the article is being written for. As such, he by default represents something larger than himself. It is unfair, therefore, when his own strong emotions cloud the goal he wants to achieve - to inform the community about the product, all its features, good and bad. It is unfair because no matter what answer the intrlocutor will give it will be always affected by your own biased viewpoint - whether it is 'herp derp' or 'bark bark'. This may please some of your audience, but at the same time it does nothing to faciliate communication, it does not go in depth about the info I wanted to receive. Moreover, it sent your speaker the message what a bunch of bitter cunts we are.

It also pays to remember that your speaker is not some evil mastermind bent on brainwashing you and your readers. He is just a PR guy, maybe a swell fellow after work, who wants to promote his product. It is good thing that you didn't let him shamelesly advertise the game for free. It isn't quite so wonderful that you tried to deride him for God knows what.

I know what you attempted to do here - "Aggressive journalism". This is arguably the most difficult form of journalism to dabble in and most easy to botch - look at the Sun, Daily Express and other gutter press. The whole point of this method is to get the truth from the speaker through a series of accurate, precise, detailed questions showing the interviewer's knowledge about the subject, his contemplation, and preparation for the talk without being pigheaded about it. No hate-speak required. Because you are interested in facts you want the speaker to answer them. You attempt to provide context for your questions - that's splendid! The only problem is the context does little to help your speaker to answer them - it seems to be created to ridicule him.

An example is in order

The Witcher 2 you're going the button-mashing route. Is that true?

Again, this was very pejorative, very slighting thing to say for a PR guy who almost in each and every interview attempts to stress 'tactical', 'not dumbed down' nature of the new combat. To me it seemed that you negated everything Gop commented on in plethora interviews I happened to follow (In before TWitcher fanboy - I follow all the interviews on any RPG I can find).

Now I learned that you used another article as the basis for your question. Very good... But don't you think you should have informed him and us about the reason you chose this expression? Short clarification would help:

The Witcher 2 you're going the button-mashing route. After all, in your October 2010 (sic!) interview for Gambanshee you claimed that in The Witcher 2 you can, let me quote: just mash your button and you will swipe through the combat if you want to. This rises some concerns about the quality of the combat system. Is that true?

It sends everyone a clear message that you are prepared, professional journalist. It also lets Tomek know the reason behind your rationale - It is not you having 'an impression' you got from somewhere. Now your accusation actually has grounds in what Gop said himself. That other interview was long time ago, he (and us) might not associate the 'button-mashing' with his own words. Now that the tables are turned, he understands you are not being a dick, you are just acting upon legit info so he can clarify that statement he made some 6 months ago by repeating what he did in numerous other interviews - button-mashing will be for easy difficulty only.

VentilatorOfDoom. Bro. I am not writing this to deride your effort. I must say there are bits in the article where you exhibit a fine degree of expertise. You certainly are familiar with the subject matter, your questions are accurate (pity most of them appeared elsewhere), your concerns are valid. There's great deal of fine craftsmanship out there in your interview. It's just you achieve only fraction of what you could have by allowing Codexian mindset to impact your writing. If it were me, a fellow Codexer being interviewed by you I could play along and attempt trolling of my own. However, because your speaker was also an outsider, your guest, with the position in industry that rules out fooling about, who you invited for a talk you do him great disservice by applying unprofessional, mocking, slightly immature manners to what ought to be impartial, informative interview.

Thank you for your time and work for us. I know your next endeavours will show improvement. I trust that one day the Codex will really become a shining example of what true gaming journalism should really look like.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
VoD secretly loves The Witcher 2 and was trying to overcompensate for any perceived bias in his interview. As a result, we have to cut the guy some slack.

Lord Andre

Arcane
If your previous game had shit combat, asking "Did you improve the shit combat ?" seems a reasonable question to me.

It seems nowadays speaking the truth is considered impolite. :decline:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Lord Andre said:
If your previous game had shit combat, asking "Did you improve the shit combat ?" seems a reasonable question to me.

It may be news to you, but yes. Sometimes speaking the truth, especially in a hamfisted uncultured fashion is impolite.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Mrowak said:
Lord Andre said:

It may be news to you, but yes. Sometimes speaking the truth, especially in a hamfisted uncultured fashion is impolite.

Sadly the truth.

Though I admire VoD for having a spine as opposed to 90% of the human race.

Give us more impolite interviews. They are actually worth reading !

Mrowak said:
Lord Andre said:

Fuck "politeness" and "political correctness". If it's true it's true. There's nothing wrong with being critical or even aggressive at times. You think the "people" who run the world give a fuck about politeness?

If the developer doesn't like the tone, he should just end the interview and not grant any more to the interviewer. It's his choice to make.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
A little bit disappointing interview.

I see no problems with the questions, perhaps a bit harsh but that's the way they should be.

The problem with the interview were the answers, were Gop avoided answering some more interesting questions, replying with some irrelevant PR sentences, and the fact he obviously got jaded as the answers were getting shorter than the questions near the end.

DraQ

Arcane
Why is everyone suddenly acting as if it was TESF and not sucking dick qualified as full fledged attempt to incite flamewar?
:retarded:

VoD might have been a little bit more on the blunt side of courtesy and the interview itself short, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Bunch of soft-arsed fagfags, all of you.
:decline:

Besides, CDPR guys apparently do know the codex and they do know that their first game was generally received favourably by the hivemind, and they seem to try to capitalize on its strengths, for example by including far more nonlinear storytelling. Unless something horrible happens and the game loses its soul or there will be influx of "it seemed a good idea at the time - granted, we were too drunk to walk but why should it matter?" idiotisms, it will at the very worst turn out to be a biowaresque storyfag RPG, except actually good, much less linear and with proper atmosphere, and that's assuming CDPR utterly fails at improving the stat part.

At least half of the codex will probably be faping to TW2, and unlike TES V or some other Derp Age, I'm saying this without even slightest hint of smug superiority.

Elwro said:
Well, I love the game and all, but
the next thing we’ve changed is getting rid of that turn-based feeling
may be the most retarded thing I read this week since TW was completely devoid of any turn-based feeling whatsoever.
He probably meant discrete "click, wait for the lengthy attack sequence to end, declare next attack" feel, but it did come off sounding incredibly awkward and rather moronic.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Bleh? What's this now? Codex for girls? VoD asked good questions that address some of the concerns people here have, how the sequel compares to the original, and what (supposedly) makes it good — of course the quality of the interview also depends on the answers. It was nice, and while I may have phrased some questions differently, it's certainly acceptable and not rude. Besides it looks like TG had no problem answering them and even had fun here and there.

So, what the shit?

Phelot

Arcane
The questions were honest and yeah maybe a little rough at times, but so what? I'm sure the interviewee can handle himself, which he did and if he's honestly offended by the questions than what the fuck can you do? It's his game, let him prove the doubters wrong.

Personally, I'm tired of retarded questions like "How awesome is this game going to be?" and would have preferred if VoD not let the guy off on a few questions being dodged or vague.

TBH, Gop always struck me as being a pretty down to Earth guy that's tough to frazzle. At least he seems to admit he has to fall back on PR speak.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Let's hope the developers understand that there's no hostility involved on my part.

Being critical isn't being hostile, and if anything it shows that you take your interviewee seriously. Nobody should take it as hostile, unless of course goes over to the personal. For a long time I've been of the opinion that a good interview is more of an exchange than a Q&A session.

Zefah

Novice
I registered here just to comment on this awful interview, which I saw linked on another forum.

You could have asked every single one of those questions without coming off as an immature prick.

You negatively framed almost every question, stating your opinion as if it were fact. Furthermore, your petty little rants added absolutely nothing to your questions and, most likely, proved detrimental to getting answers with any substance. You weren't asking 'hard' questions, you were just being a dick.

If you ever get the chance to interview a developer again--and I hope you don't--try growing up a bit and throwing your personal biases to the side for the duration of the interview. You might even get the answers you want without coming off as an aggressive mouth-breathing basement-dweller.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom