Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The Witcher 2 Review Bonanza

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Some reviews of <strong>The Witcher 2</strong> are showing up on the net, here are some examples.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Elder Geek <a href="http://elder-geek.com/2011/05/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-video-review/" target="_blank">provide a video review</a> and a buying recommendation.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Wired Controller were facing the daunting task to find words to describe just how excellent The Witcher 2 is, 9/10.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Last, and most certainly not least worth discussing is the moral decisions made within this game. This is how you do it, and anyone putting decisions and branching story paths in their games in the future needs to match this game&rsquo;s vision and execution. The Witcher 2 always makes the choices you have to make grueling ones, and never has a good choice and an evil choice. These choices are just simply difficult to make and will catch players off guard to stop and think of the impact they can cause. This was the key component in this game that made me certain The Witcher 2 had accomplished a crowning achievement within the game world.</p>
<p>The Witcher 2 is not perfect, but I feel it&rsquo;s as close as you can get. Games like this are rare and are the soul reason I keep playing games to this day. They immerse you, they invoke feelings, they challenge you, and above all entertain you like no other medium can. If you fancy yourself a gamer, then you need to go out and play this game.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://gamespundit.com/1266/the-witcher-2" target="_blank">Games Pundit score it 8/10.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>The quests are well written, and pull you through beautifully drawn worlds, dealing with well designed enemies very difficult bosses.&nbsp; In fact, this game has some very difficult bosses, and not like Dragon Age&rsquo;s bosses which get their difficulty from just math.&nbsp; These bosses actually force you to use specific tactics to defeat them, and their difficulty isn&rsquo;t contrived, but based on response time and creativity.&nbsp; A Witcher who doesn&rsquo;t use the environment is half a Witcher.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Still, as much as I love this game, it has some downsides that I&rsquo;d like to bring to light.&nbsp; Parts of the game, specifically the side-quests, are incredibly repetitive.&nbsp; Consider the fist-combat, which is based on quick-time events.&nbsp; To finish a single area, you have to endure through roughly 5 minutes of the same fight animations being executed over and over again.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Dice poker, another mini-game with a series of related side-quests, is even more annoying, due to the fact that skill can only help so much in a luck-based game.</p>
<p>Several quests which I had every intention of completing were permanently failed for me when I accidentally progressed to far into the main story-line.&nbsp; Warnings from the game?&nbsp; RP-style warnings via dialogue, such as &ldquo;We probably won&rsquo;t be able to come back after this. . .&rdquo;? Even the mercy of convenient auto-saves?&nbsp; The Witcher 2 has none of these.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Gameplay Monthly <a href="http://www.gameplaymonthly.com/2011/05/reviewed-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/" target="_blank">rate it A-</a> realizing that <em>The Witcher 2 is how a sequel should be done</em>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The Witcher 2 isn&rsquo;t without its problems but they&rsquo;re vastly overshadowed by everything the game does right. The main quest is short compared to other RPGs, lasting around 20 solid hours, but the experience is a thrill ride from beginning to end. Because there are two entirely exclusive paths that branch into their own unique parts coalescing into one of 16 unique endings, the replay value is high. You cannot see everything in the first play nor the second or arguably the third. Unlike some RPGs, there is no filler; The Witcher 2 is a full-course serving that will be remembered as a classic for years. For $50 you&rsquo;re getting a real deal: this is PC roleplaying at its greatest. Take note, pretenders, because CDP Red shows how you make a real action-RPG.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/103048-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-reviews.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Phelot

Arcane
I was hoping for lower scores so I could measure all the butthurt they would generate.

Still, as much as I love this game, it has some downsides that I’d like to bring to light. Parts of the game, specifically the side-quests, are incredibly repetitive. Consider the fist-combat, which is based on quick-time events. To finish a single area, you have to endure through roughly 5 minutes of the same fight animations being executed over and over again.

Dice poker, another mini-game with a series of related side-quests, is even more annoying, due to the fact that skill can only help so much in a luck-based game.

Several quests which I had every intention of completing were permanently failed for me when I accidentally progressed to far into the main story-line. Warnings from the game? RP-style warnings via dialogue, such as “We probably won’t be able to come back after this. . .”? Even the mercy of convenient auto-saves? The Witcher 2 has none of these.

Amen to the lame dice poker and fistfights! Why they felt the need to put that shit in, I will never understand. Well, at least the dice poker isn't quite as bad, but the fist fighting... holy fuck...

I'm torn about the failed quests due to story progression...

On the one hand, Ceez N Ceez I guess, but on the other hand, it is lame if you can't complete a quest even though realistically there's nothing stopping you from simply returning and talking to the same fuck except in Chapter 2 or whatever. TBH, I haven't gotten by Chap1 so I should probably STFU until I know what he's talking about, but I can at least complain that this has happened in other games and is extremely cheesy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Several quests which I had every intention of completing were permanently failed for me when I accidentally progressed to far into the main story-line. Warnings from the game? RP-style warnings via dialogue, such as “We probably won’t be able to come back after this. . .”? Even the mercy of convenient auto-saves? The Witcher 2 has none of these."

Review is shit, writer is a faggot. I have dozens and dozens of saves in my savegame directory, some of them are autosaves, some of them are manual saves.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Complaining about quests failing when you progress too far seems... odd. It's not like the game doesn't do a decent job of telegraphing when big things are going to happen. Do we really need games to give the player a huge pop-up window saying THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN, MORON?

Oh, wait, yeah, we do. God dammit.

Phelot

Arcane
Oh yeah, the saves ARE shit in this game. I don't mean to complain too much, but my God what is it that made modern games forgo ye olden saves of yore when you could do crazy things like name your saved game and save over old ones. Why is this too advanced for games now?!

Raapys

Arcane
phelot said:
Oh yeah, the saves ARE shit in this game. I don't mean to complain too much, but my God what is it that made modern games forgo ye olden saves of yore when you could do crazy things like name your saved game and save over old ones. Why is this too advanced for games now?!
I'm just wondering how long it'll take before games won't even let you choose the installation directory.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I see you read Gamebanshee quite often too, VentilatorOfDoom. ;)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
phelot said:
Yeah, this is one of the major flaws against it I think doesn't make too much sense in this day and age. I can live without naming save files, but not being able to manage them easily or even delete them from inside the game is pretty ridiculous. Skipping the save-naming stage is faster, but I kinda thought that's what quicksaves were for.

However, I can understand not letting you overwrite savegames, since so many RPGs especially tend to exhibit save corruption with constant overwriting. Keeping all the files separate probably improves stability and reduces potential data loss in the long run.

Raapys said:
I'm just wondering how long it'll take before games won't even let you choose the installation directory.
Well, if you use Chrome as a browser, it's already happening. :(

J1M

Arcane
One question: does combat still involve clicking over and over and over?

The first game looked interesting but I uninstalled it before completing the first town because the combat was so terrible.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
J1M said:

The first game looked interesting but I uninstalled it before completing the first town because the combat was so terrible.

Yep, it's a clickfest, just like every other RT RPG and most TB RPG's(though you click more slowly there).

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
J1M said:

No, it does not. The combat is more actiony this time around which depending on your angle may be :decline: or :incline: It does feel more consolish though. In fact I finished the whole game with a gamepad.
Here's the video of the fag who tries button mashing and fails while playing on easy... in the prologue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCjzA-C647o

J1M

Arcane
commie said:
J1M said:

Yep, it's a clickfest, just like every other RT RPG and most TB RPG's(though you click more slowly there).
Thanks for the answer, but the rest of your sentence does not jive with the reality I experience.

J1M said:

No, you only have to click once and you win entire game, just like in any good action title. No repeated clicks required.

Black

Arcane
J1M said:
commie said:
J1M said:

Thanks for the answer, but the rest of your sentence does not jive with the reality I experience.

Funny, I don't remember doing anything else than clicking in FO, Arcanum or ToEE.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
J1M said:
commie said:
J1M said:

It uses a Free flow combat system.

Your 2 basic attacks are a light attack on the left button and a Heavy attack on the right.
You can combo those together how ever you will and some variations works better like 2 light 1 strong.

Now to accent that you also have a "Magic" button and a Item button that can also be combed or used by them self.
I would say it is a mix between a Batman and God of WAR in terms of system.

In the start it is really hard, but as your upgrade you see a significant improvement to your skills like my Heavy attack now his Several people instead of 1 guy like before. Stuff like that.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
No, it does not. The combat is more actiony this time around which depending on your angle may be or It does feel more consolish though. In fact I finished the whole game with a gamepad.
Here's the video of the fag who tries button mashing and fails while playing on easy... in the prologue...

The allmighty says:

this shit (the video) isn't even funny!
I crave for my medicine when watching this dipstick.

"how can he hit me while i dodge"
I guess in his world, an anvil can drop on your head, and you walk.. only a bit shorter

It's morons like this who are the cause of the fact we don't get hard games any longer :retarded:
I'm currently replaying TW1, cause i haven't finished it yet due to interest in other games... But if TW2 is as tough as this moron claims... i'm gonna fucking get this real soon :thumbsup:

Anyone?

Crolug

Liturgist
G.O.D said:
But if TW2 is as tough as this moron claims... i'm gonna fucking get this real soon :thumbsup:

Anyone?

I finished TW1 on Hard, which was IMO way too easy. I play TW2 on Hard and, well, I can tell you that I am one lucky motherfucker. Is the combat repetitive? Well, I repetitively run away. To run through my alchemy repertoire, get prepared, think about tactics, than try usually a few times. I often use 4 different signs in one encounter, at least 2 different traps, and 2-3 different bombs and even that doesn't guarantee me a success. One step too far, one swing of a sword too much, being cocky for just a second too long usually lives me loading the game. With a fucking smile on my face. If I ever will finish this game on Sudden Death I will proclaim myself a god, just like you Sir. :salute:

And yes, I still believe this game ain't about combat...

WalterKinde

Scholar
Its been a while since i have seen a RPG game ship that didnt require a mega patch after release its a refreshing thing
Seems like the gaming media loves the game although the heavy hitters havent released their reviews as yet, i guess the witcher 2 is not considered by them a big deal since they werent paid to advertise it.
Anyone else notice that Rock Paper Shotgun never did do a Dragon Age 2 review?

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I finished TW1 on Hard, which was IMO way too easy. I play TW2 on Hard and, well, I can tell you that I am one lucky motherfucker. Is the combat repetitive? Well, I repetitively run away. To run through my alchemy repertoire, get prepared, think about tactics, than try usually a few times. I often use 4 different signs in one encounter, at least 2 different traps, and 2-3 different bombs and even that doesn't guarantee me a success. One step too far, one swing of a sword too much, being cocky for just a second too long usually lives me loading the game. With a fucking smile on my face. If I ever will finish this game on Sudden Death I will proclaim myself a god, just like you Sir.

And yes, I still believe this game ain't about combat...

Good... and you're not a CD Projekt stockholder either?
Not becouse you're Polish or something :M

I usually won't go for the actiony kind of games (even Icewind Dale's combat wasn't really for me) but TW1 has something that keeps me going (must be the sexcards).
Don't know.. with all the Bethesda's, and their Drones in journalism, i'm more alert to my choice in which game to invest my precious green in.
But i hear and read good things

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
sea said:
Well, if you use Steam as the installer, it's already happening. :(
Fixed that.

Also
TFA said:
The Witcher 2 always makes the choices you have to make grueling ones, and never has a good choice and an evil choice.
I don't care for, as in TW1, having to chose from one grimdark choice or another grimmer, darker choice. Yes, I know the story branches from all the choices made, but it bothers me when in the Witcher series it makes you chose between two factions or whatever, both of which you hate. I get it, there are no easy choices: quit beating that dead horse.

circ

Arcane
Mrowak said:
J1M said:

No, it does not. The combat is more actiony this time around which depending on your angle may be :decline: or :incline: It does feel more consolish though. In fact I finished the whole game with a gamepad.

THAT'S RIGHT BECAUSE THE GAME FUCKING SUCKS. THE PROGRAMMERS DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE A GAME. MOM, I POOPED.

Yeah that does look like shit, even datoo like shit. But then seriously, who the fuck runs into an open courtyard filled with mobs, except in Rambo? And even then I don't think that happens. THIS GAME SUCKS BECAUSE. UM. I SUCK. YEAH.

OMG

GAME ISN'T LIKE ASSASSINS CERED

WHAT THE FUCK

THIS IS FUCKING HORRIBLE

DUDE

:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:

This guy. Holy fuck. He's complaining that mobs GANGBANG him from behind and use blocks and counter attacks. WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO? FALL OVER? WAIT WHAT THE FUCK? MAYBE YOU SHOULD PLAY WITH YOUR MOMS TITS? I DON'T THINK YOU CAN GET HURT THAT WAY.

EXCEPT EMOTIONALLY.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
And he complains that the enemy with the shield blocks him easily and counterattacks. Ain't that the point of having a goatfucking shield?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom