Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine Expansion

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Right, finished. A nice addition to the game, nothing less, nothing more. I probably enjoyed the vanilla, and especially HoS, more but BW is good. Too bad they went with the silly accent, it was an annoyance all through the DLC, and the final fight was a bit trivial (except that fucking bat AoE that killed me twice even through Quen) but over all it was a dignified farewell to the franchise.

Endemic

Arcane
One thing that annoys the shit ouf of me in B&W so far is the stupid fucking accent everybody's jabbering with. I guess I'd be fine with it if characters were dubbed by English speaking French actors. But as it stands most of the VO is subpar, surprisingly, AND full of that goofy accent that's not even remotely French, even tho the names and everything else evidently is. Instead it's like a weird crossbreed between Dutch and some Scandinavian or some such.

The Toussaint characters are voiced by English actors, except for Anna Henrietta (Swedish).

It's not nearly as retarded as French-Canadian actors putting on straight English accents in a game set in France (Assassin's Creed Unity).

typical user

Arbiter
Meanwhile polish VO has not a single problem mentioned here. Wojciech Mann voiced Roach and it was hilarious. Shame that most people won't experience it as it is top notch quality. I can only compare GTA V with it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meanwhile polish VO has not a single problem mentioned here. Wojciech Mann voiced Roach and it was hilarious. Shame that most people won't experience it as it is top notch quality. I can only compare GTA V with it.

Oh yeah, checked the Polish VO on the Tube right now and it's great. No silly fucking accents at all! And the duchess has a really nice voice.

Fuck, should've switched to Polish VO.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
TW1 had the option for polish VO and English text, did TW2 and TW3 keep this tradition?

bonescraper

I thought that moutain was a 2d background.

This is the best easter egg, non-potatos won't get it tho.

Perkel

Arcane
hahah hot damn that was great.

Reminds me of spending every sunday watching animals doing stuff while listening to her when i was in elementary-middle school.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Feel free to call me out for being an ignorant, casul scrub, but I'm actually unhappy with how my Blood and Wine playthrough is turning out.

I decided killing Dettlaff rather than giving into his petulant tantrum was the best course of action and I knew something was up when Geralt uttered the "I kill monsters, I don't make deals with them" line. Skip forward an hour and a bit of play time and after rage quitting on the Dettlaff boss fight and then reading up ending spoilers, I've got to say: what the fuck?

I have to slog through this awful boss fight in which Dettlaff basically one shots me (Blood and Broken Bones) even with Quen up and my reward for doing so is everything goes to shit, all of the cool characters die or get forced out but it's OK because vineyard retirement with the waifu. Really?

Apparently taking steps to avenge the murder of several innocents including one of Geralt's friends, not to mention the countless peasants and children, by a powerful, destructive, impulsive, man-child of a vampire is regarded by CDPR as the bad ending.

Maybe I'm missing something but this is really killing my desire to keep playing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think the ending you're refering to is considered "bad". Witcher isn't a black and white game, unlike vast majority of the industry, it's full of shades of grey.

In one of the endings a certain person that committed horrible crimes simply gets away with it because of powerful connections. I was delighted with it, in any other game it would be the typical happy ending "villains are punished, good people prosper". Not in the real life and not in Witcher, thankfully.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think the ending you're refering to is considered "bad". Witcher isn't a black and white game, unlike vast majority of the industry, it's full of shades of grey.

In one of the endings a certain person that committed horrible crimes simply gets away with it because of powerful connections. I was delighted with it, in any other game it would be the typical happy ending "villains are punished, good people prosper". Not in the real life and not in Witcher, thankfully.

I think I took the "bad" descriptor from one of the various websites covering the endings.

You raise a good point, to be fair. Guess I need to get my modern day gamer's entitlement in check.

Wolfe

Arbiter
The "bad" ending was actually my favourite and aligned with my priorities and interests, which were focused on looking out for Regis. Assigning absolute moral labels to the endings in a Witcher game is retarded and shows how stupid mainstream gamers have been bred to be and have become.

Oh noes, the sisters don't reconcile and they even die! Such sadness, bad ending confirmed!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh noes, the sisters don't reconcile and they even die! Such sadness, bad ending confirmed!

Heh, you can even consider the OTHER ending of those two as "bad".

The black-haired bitch causes deaths of hundreds, almost destroys the city and the duchy but because she's the duchess' long lost sister everything is forgiven, both chicks kiss and make up and the show goes on. Instead, people who were duped and used by Syanna are hanged and quartered.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Heh, you can even consider the OTHER ending of those two as "bad".

The black-haired bitch causes deaths of hundreds, almost destroys the city and the duchy but because she's the duchess' long lost sister everything is forgiven, both chicks kiss and make up and the show goes on. Instead, people who were duped and used by Syanna are hanged and quartered.

Indeed, that was the ending I was talking about. Syanna had to die since she orchestrated everything. At first, I wanted to keep Dethlaff alive, but his attack on Toussaint really pissed me off. I only kept him alive because otherwise Regis would have been hunted, and as I said, my goal was to look out for him as he did for Geralt several times. The duchess? Collateral damage. She was too naive anyway, I'm surprised by how well the duchy was faring with such a ruler. Them Nilfgaardians must have been controlling everything behind the scenes.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I haven't read the last Witcher book yet so no idea what's the political situation of Toussaint. But my guess is a tiny country right on the border of the Nilfgaardian empire cannot be fully independent. There's probably some kind of vassal relationship between the duchess and the emperor.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Exactly, it is a vassal of Nilfgaard which is supposedly "independent", yet they never get involved in the wars between the south and the north.

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
Exactly, it is a vassal of Nilfgaard which is supposedly "independent", yet they never get involved in the wars between the south and the north.

They pay taxes, supply the Empire with wine and other luxury goods, they recognize the authority of the Emperor and they don't fight wars against Nilfgaard or help it's enemies. It's a pretty sweet deal for both of them to be honest.

Perkel

Arcane
I haven't read the last Witcher book yet so no idea what's the political situation of Toussaint. But my guess is a tiny country right on the border of the Nilfgaardian empire cannot be fully independent. There's probably some kind of vassal relationship between the duchess and the emperor.

Anna Henrietta is cousin to Emhyr.
They were never conquered.

Generally it is heavily implied that Nilfgard is working a bit like HRE. Emhyr has a lot of power but each province is basically its own nation.
So Toisant seems to be just allied with Nilfgard by blood (it is how alliances were made before)
Thanks to best alcohol production they can probably pay off nilfgard army exemption and buy their guard while keeping only small number of "knights" to fight with bandits and like.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Feel free to call me out for being an ignorant, casul scrub, but I'm actually unhappy with how my Blood and Wine playthrough is turning out.

I decided killing Dettlaff rather than giving into his petulant tantrum was the best course of action and I knew something was up when Geralt uttered the "I kill monsters, I don't make deals with them" line. Skip forward an hour and a bit of play time and after rage quitting on the Dettlaff boss fight and then reading up ending spoilers, I've got to say: what the fuck?

I have to slog through this awful boss fight in which Dettlaff basically one shots me (Blood and Broken Bones) even with Quen up and my reward for doing so is everything goes to shit, all of the cool characters die or get forced out but it's OK because vineyard retirement with the waifu. Really?

Apparently taking steps to avenge the murder of several innocents including one of Geralt's friends, not to mention the countless peasants and children, by a powerful, destructive, impulsive, man-child of a vampire is regarded by CDPR as the bad ending.

Maybe I'm missing something but this is really killing my desire to keep playing.

Uhm maybe i remember it wrong but you can still get a good ending after killing Detlaff.

I also got the tragic ending, and i found it quite fitting.

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron

Uhm you can still get a good ending.

I chilled my impotent nerd rage, reloaded and did the Syanna stuff instead. I thought the fairytale world was a lot more entertaining than the vampire's cave. Plus, cloud sex.

Still haven't beat Dettlaff as the fight annoys me, but there we are.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
The most important thing about the Detlaff fight is that you run away from him as soon as he transforms into his second form, because his bat-charge attack is only dodgeable if your distance to him is far enough. Then when he sweeps at you you simply cast Aard in the right time, that will make him tumble to the ground and you can easily dispose of a third of his hitpoints. Rince and repeat until you get to phase 3 (which is alot easier)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom