Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

https://youtu.be/Gxg5INjNopo?t=197
"there is no original language, we do all languages simultanously" :lol::lol::lol:
How stupid do they think their viewers are?

I believe the Polish and English scripts were written simultaneously but the English version has more sentences, idioms and fluff than the Polish one for whatever reason.

Toffeli I got this information from this video analyzing the quality of the game's Russian translation:

Last edited:

Incantatar

Cipher
https://youtu.be/Gxg5INjNopo?t=197
"there is no original language, we do all languages simultanously" :lol::lol::lol:
How stupid do they think their viewers are?

I believe the Polish and English scripts were written simultaneously but the English version has more sentences, idioms and fluff than the Polish one for whatever reason.

Toffeli I got this information from this video analyzing the quality of the game's Russian translation:

1. Doesn't make any sense at all. A different script is a different game ffs.
2. How about clicking in the spoiler I posted before spreading fake news?

add.
I changed English VO to Polish and I prefer the Polish voices. The Polish women don't sound like they're all 50 year old school teachers. Huge cock block in the English VO imo.

Last edited:
Incantatar

Obviously I'm not saying that they had two entirely different people write two entirely different scripts in parallel. Please use your brain. The script was written in polish but adapted into English in-house by other CDPR writers, which is to my knowledge not how most localizations efforts are done. The guy in your video says as much. While adapting the game into English the writers apparently decided to add more content and expand the script, which is why the English version has various literary bells and whistles which the versions in other languages do not seem to have.

Incantatar

Cipher
Obviously [...]
:stupid:
How about not writing different things than you mean? Pretty bold to first write "simultanously" and then acting like you meant "consecutively".

Please use your brain.
How about not writing different things than you mean? Pretty bold to first write "simultanously" and then acting like you meant "consecutively".

Fair enough, you are not being stupid, just pedantic. My point was that CDPR wrote both the English and Polish scripts, which is - to my knowledge - uncommon.

Incantatar

Cipher
Please use your brain.

Fair enough, you are not being stupid, just pedantic. My point was that CDPR wrote both the English and Polish scripts, which is - to my knowledge - uncommon.

I'm pedantic on myself too not only to others. I agree completely with the rest you said. The English version has the most exposure, no wonder they decided to do it in house. Especiallly after W1 got botched. For Elex they hired writers to adapt it to English and gave them a lot of freedom too to alter the script. Some find it better, many find it worse. Wonder if it was in house too.

Btw. "I'm with stupid" doesn't mean the person with the sign is stupid, it means the person pointed at is stupid. :positive:

Btw. "I'm with stupid" doesn't mean the person with the sign is stupid, it means the person pointed at is stupid. :positive:

I was referring to my "use your brain" quip. But yes, I'm glad we found common understanding over the internet. I feel as if a part of Witcher 3's script rubbed off on us and we constructed a deconstructed fairly tale of our own in this cyberspace. Its inspiring, really, this togetherness. It is as if I am so close to you that if I was to reach out I could touch you. I imagine that you look quite a bit like your avatar, low-poly but still endearing. Perhaps I, too, would take the clammy, pale form of Torian Kel, and maybe I could reach my lifeless hand and touch your face, cold fingers brushing against retinas ever so slightly. My mouth would then close over the brown patch of your beard, allowing me to suck on each hair and bristle, but not too hard. Only a little.

2house2fly

Magister
I think some Japanese games get worked on in multiple languages simultaneously; in Bloodborne fan communities apparently there are both English speaking and Japanese speaking fans who consider the other version of the game the "true" translation

Incantatar

Cipher

I was referring to my "use your brain" quip. But yes, I'm glad we found common understanding over the internet. I feel as if a part of Witcher 3's script rubbed off on us and we constructed a deconstructed fairly tale of our own in this cyberspace. Its inspiring, really, this togetherness. It is as if I am so close to you that if I was to reach out I could touch you. I imagine that you look quite a bit like your avatar, low-poly but still endearing. Perhaps I, too, would take the clammy, pale form of Torian Kel, and maybe I could reach my lifeless hand and touch your face, cold fingers brushing against retinas ever so slightly. My mouth would then close over the brown patch of your beard, allowing me to suck on each hair and bristle, but not too hard. Only a little.
thanks, y-you too! :codexisfor:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
DO-cszoUIAAsugi.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
Hey guys, some help w/friendly hud.

I'd like it to disable the minimap completely, even when using Witcher Sense. Is that possible?

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Hey guys, some help w/friendly hud.

I'd like it to disable the minimap completely, even when using Witcher Sense. Is that possible?

Ye, just disable it from the from the options, just as you would if you didnt have friendly hud :D

Ivan

Arcane
I don't see an option for disabling it when using Witcher Sense. No such option exists either in base options nor in Friendly Hud options.

Ivan

Arcane
I think I understand. You either have to have the minimap OR the 3d marker. You have to choose between them, is that right?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Ok so I finally picked up The White Gruff Dude 3 for the popamole station 4.

And wow holy shit, a game with good dialog, finally. My wife actually enjoys watching me play through the main quest line.

Haven't played the other two games, kinda just winging it and pretending "yup, I know who so and so is... oh wait he's a murderer? lol"

I do know who Triss is due to fanboys.

Just killed the Griffin. Combat actually isn't as bad as some people said. Playing on normal mode for now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
out of complete boredom i went ahead and torrented all 35 gigs of witcher 3: the wild hunt. I installed it. I launched the game, set preset to "high", game began running at perfect 60fps with minor dips only when grafix happened all of a sudden.

I did the intro. I admit I could not stomach the interminable cut-scenes, and after the intro where you run w/ Siri I just mashed SPACEBAR, not unlike my preferred method of playing Pillars of Eternity I should add! Ah, it was a welcome familiarity!

I finally, finally got "access" to what I suppose is the "open world", like 4 hours and 50 tutorials later (the tutorials were actually well done, though), but more egregiously: cutscenes.

More cutscenes.

Non-stop characters giving exposition and periodically assaulting me, the player, with a completely meaningless and superfluous "dialog choice". Now, now, I know the game actually does feature "worthy" "choices" in its "dialog choices", not from having played it but because it seems that the consensus about witcher games among the "true RPG gamer" crowd (i.e. morons who post here, like me, except dumber) is that the game's "choices" actually "matter", so I assume the might-as-well not-have-them dialog responses from the game's first few hours are not indicative of its BRANCHING CONTENT.

Either way, that actually does not matter whatsoever to me, or at least it is only peripheral. F: NV is the gold standard for "AAA-type open world RPG" and it will never be surpassed, and one of F: NV's biggest strengths is that almost none of its (unmatched by any other in its category) many, many, many "choices" are almost never gotten to or made by "dialog responses".

In F: NV it is the underlying gameplay systems such as the factions, quests done or not done, stuff you have acquired or not acquired, people you've talked to or not talked to, place you've discovered, people you may have killed or instead maybe left them alive; in F: NV the main way the player shapes his role playing experience is usually by doing shit, rarely via a dialog.

Anyway, back to Witcher 3.

Oh right, so I set out into the wild yonder and I just simply could not, cannot, understand the game's appeal. I had never actually before PLAYED witcher 3 (only w1 years ago), and I have to say: this is the prettiest interactive cut-scene with hiking simulation built-in that I've seen in a while!

Probably the prettiest!

I thought, somewhat smugly, that I am actually enjoying playing ELEX and Nier: Automata much more than Witcher 3, with Elex fitting more into W3's category of course. I don't particularly like ELEX, I think it's a boring sandbox that's bereft of any mechanical depth, with little incentives for the player to care about the game other than jet-packing around for a few mins.

I still find it a more recognizably "RPG"-like game than Witcher 3, though. Look, fuck it, I will not argue that W3 isn't an RPG. I'm just gonna finish by saying that after my 4-6 hour brief experience playing W3 and then promtply uninstalling it I think it plays more like a standard action-adventure game than an RPG, with even stuff like Skyrim evoking more RPG mechanics/stuff than Witcher 3 (!).

(Emphasis on the 'adventure' part as my god, this is worse than Metal Gear. Metal Gear is great cut-scene fun time because kojima, ninjas, la-li-lu-le-lo, psycho mantis, SNAAAAAAAKE, etc...

...Boring Witcher 3 cutscenes, er, please maybe less of them for next time? I remember W1 didn't feature this cut-scene assault. I remember it was quite a focused game.

TL;DR: After hating, and I mean hating W3 and its fans for ranking high in the Codex poll, and finally buckling down nad playing it, I'm now just confused instead of angry. It's a really run-of-the-mill game with nothing that stands out, and it's a faaar cry from the greatness of Fallout: New Vegas or even, dare I say it, Morrowind.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It is always fun to read post by someone right about one game (New Vegas) and moronically wrong about another one (TW3). This is why I go to 'dex :love:

Kitchen Utensil

The butthurt Witcherfags at it again. Accept it, you are the fucking decline, rabid fanboy retards.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
*cutscene of yennifer bathing*
"wow this cutscene is so boring" <----- if not homo then i dont know

Sjukob

Arcane
It is always fun to read post by someone right about one game (New Vegas) and moronically wrong about another one (TW3). This is why I go to 'dex
Finaly a sophisticated person to bring an enlightenment to this vile den, we must accept his words of wisdom as an absolute turth and always follow them. Let his light be with you brothers for it is our salvation!

Paul_cz

Arcane
It is always fun to read post by someone right about one game (New Vegas) and moronically wrong about another one (TW3). This is why I go to 'dex
Finaly a sophisticated person to bring an enlightenment to this vile den, we must accept his words of wisdom as an absolute turth and always follow them. Let his light be with you brothers for it is our salvation!
Now you're getting it :mca:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom