Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Falksi

Arcane
Am I actually missing out on anything by not playing this game or is there something interesting in it? It sounds like it's just a lot of AAA art assets put into a game that does nothing that Gothic/Elder Scrolls/Bioware games haven't done before.

No mate, the main game is absolutely boring as fuck, and essentially Assasin's Creed without the parkour & far more, long, boring cut-scenes. Everything is based on aesthetics instead of interaction, and you just spend forever wandering amazing looking, but ultimately empty & shallow, areas.

That said, the expansions are WAY better, Blood & Wine in particular. Not only do they have FAR more interesting main & side quests, but they're also structured far more tightly (although still not tight enough) and are way more interesting. If you have to pickup the main game to play the expansions then I'd do it on the cheap.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You focus on tight structure, but recommend Blood & Wine instead of Hearts of Stone?

Frozen

Arcane
Witcher has far superior voice acting.
The little I watched of Odyssey made me cringe...its like they hired Bethesda VA

A horse of course

W8RoZUF.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I feel baffled every time a new game comes out and it performs poorly while looking not as good as Witcher 3.

Falksi

Arcane
You focus on tight structure, but recommend Blood & Wine instead of Hearts of Stone?

HOS's structure was better, but I prefered B&W for the story & atmosphere. Regis was a top bro like Roche & Iorveth.

Much of a muchness between both really. Both are definitely worth playing, and head & shoulders above the main game IMO.

Falksi

Arcane
Playing this again, stumbled upon this document titled "Well Hidden Details You May Have Missed" -- it's a 164 page PDF. This is autism level stuff, worth a read if you're a completionist.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xoNQLKsIHBOhcN29u2wCV1tM5DLohAQF/view

It even contains some CDPR comments on the obscure stuff they found. I guess it was done by a group?

Christ alive, just WTF????

I really don't get modern gaming. Who gives a fuck about all that fluff? Couldn't they have spent that time putting in a few more interesting items rather than just Witcher Gear + 1000's of worthless random loot instead?

Does the dweeb who's put that article together not see that every village in te game is cut-paste & lifeless as fuck?

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Playing this again, stumbled upon this document titled "Well Hidden Details You May Have Missed" -- it's a 164 page PDF. This is autism level stuff, worth a read if you're a completionist.
It even contains some CDPR comments on the obscure stuff they found. I guess it was done by a group?
I really don't get modern gaming. Who gives a fuck about all that fluff? Couldn't they have spent that time putting in a few more interesting items rather than just Witcher Gear + 1000's of worthless random loot instead?
most of these facts are just consequences of certain choices. It's not like CDP spent a lot of resources onto shrinking horse balls or something.

Codex Year of the Donut

a lot of it appears to just be alternative dialogue/recognition for doing things in ways other than intended

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Both are definitely worth playing, and head & shoulders above the main game IMO
Agree. Obvious CDPR thought much the same in retrospect considering you can start both without touching the main campaign.

When you have a set protagonist like a "JC Denton" or a "Geralt of Rivia", you need to keep the game short and sweet - heavy on detail. Witcher 2 is their best work overall.

They focused too much on scope for Witcher 3, which really crippled it. Aiming for an RPG that large, really needs to give the player more motivation for replayability - factions, classes, better exploration etc.

Fingers crossed they've remembered this for Cyberpunk - really no excuse given the source material.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Both are definitely worth playing, and head & shoulders above the main game IMO
Agree. Obvious CDPR thought much the same in retrospect considering you can start both without touching the main campaign.

When you have a set protagonist like a "JC Denton" or a "Geralt of Rivia", you need to keep the game short and sweet - heavy on detail. Witcher 2 is their best work overall.

They focused to much on scope for Witcher 3, which really crippled it. Aiming for an RPG that large, really needs to give the player more motivation for replayability - factions, classes, better exploration etc.

Fingers crossed they've remembered this for Cyberpunk - really no excuse given the source material.

Totally agree with everything said there :salute:

Witcher 2 was a perfectly paced game that worked a treat, and was replayable as hell.

Codex Year of the Donut
The loot system in this game is a lot worse than I remember. Why did they even bother adding randomized loot when it's always inferior to crafted witcher gear?

Honestly makes me wonder if they had a companion for Geralt for a large part of development. The gear system would make a lot more sense if it was intended for gearing out a non-witcher.

Some people seem to genuinely enjoy randomized loot, but they likely did it as an easy way to generate tons of loot content.

It's all fixed by mods anyway.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Some people seem to genuinely enjoy randomized loot, but they likely did it as an easy way to generate tons of loot content.

It's all fixed by mods anyway.
I'd be fine with randomized loot. The problem is that all the loot is worthless because crafted witcher gear is always superior.
Everything that drops is vendor trash.

Especially bad with quests that reward you with a weapon/armor that is hyped up to be some kind of masterwork relic. Not sure how that even got past testing.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's sad that many of the armors and weapns you find are not worth replacing yours with. Many of them are really great-looking.

Puukko

Arcane
I finished B&W for the first time last week and it really was the high point of the game. Good mix of combat & non-combat quests, refreshing change in setting, and I'm a sucker for everything related to vampires.

Gerrard

Arcane
The loot system in this game is a lot worse than I remember. Why did they even bother adding randomized loot when it's always inferior to crafted witcher gear?

Honestly makes me wonder if they had a companion for Geralt for a large part of development. The gear system would make a lot more sense if it was intended for gearing out a non-witcher.
More likely they came up with the witcher gear later (along the retarded bear school shit).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom