Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Codex Year of the Donut
I finished B&W for the first time last week and it really was the high point of the game. Good mix of combat & non-combat quests, refreshing change in setting, and I'm a sucker for everything related to vampires.
The humor in the quests is pretty good too.
e.g., the butthurt gwent fanboys(dwarves) getting upset about a new gwent faction

The humor in the quests is pretty good too.
e.g., the butthurt gwent fanboys(dwarves) getting upset about a new gwent faction

I felt insulted by the presence of the dwarves. They weren't too good at the whining, where was their paper forum shit talking it? A bunch of amateurs.

B&W was a nice change to the base game but there were parts I did not like at all, like the ending.
I wanted to save Detlaff, kill Sylvanna and tell that Henrietta that she's dumb. Instead I got served a prison sentence. Detlaff said a day but it took them a week and they got nothing done. Detlaff's power over lesser vampires is tied to his emotional state, which was that his own pack member betrayed him. If Detlaff gets killed, the biggest bro in series gets fucked over and is going to be hunted until he gets killed because of a brat. The implication is that the knights were cold towards her and one raped her, so her taking "revenge" on her sister who was just a child and all of the knights is dumb.

I'd be fine with randomized loot. The problem is that all the loot is worthless because crafted witcher gear is always superior.
The gear system is not worthless for the kind of ADD player who's mindlessy going along with the story and doesn't even want to interact with a shop or crafting menu (too complex!) and relies entirely on what he occasionally picks up or is given by a quest, or the players who just find non-witcher gear hideous.

It's just disappointing that (same as alchemy crafting) the mechanics mostly cater to that lowest common denominator and do little for the rest of the audience. And I doubt that kind of mindless gamer cares much for a game like TW3 anyway even if the game plays itself.

There are mods that nerf witcher gear stats or increase their crafting requirements.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I can't believe how slated Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning got for it's MMO style, junk filled world, yet how praised TW3 gets for what is a far, far worse MMO style junk filled world.

At least in KOA:R you still looked to see if each item was useable or an upgrade on what you already have. In TW3 if it wasn't Witcher gear it wasn't even worth looking at the stats.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's also nothing worth buying other than recipes which you max out halfway through the game.

I'm near the end of BaW and I have almost 150k gold.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I can't believe how slated Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning got for it's MMO style, junk filled world, yet how praised TW3 gets for what is a far, far worse MMO style junk filled world.

At least in KOA:R you still looked to see if each item was useable or an upgrade on what you already have. In TW3 if it wasn't Witcher gear it wasn't even worth looking at the stats.

And this is "wrong" because? A Witcher always uses specialty gear, it fits with the lore... And obviously specialized witcher school gear should be better than common gear. How is that bad?

In any case, you are not required to min-max in Witcher 3. If you care about roleplaying and appearence, you can use non-Witcher gear. Plenty of people do.

Falksi

Arcane

And this is "wrong" because? A Witcher always uses specialty gear, it fits with the lore... And obviously specialized witcher school gear should be better than common gear. How is that bad?

In any case, you are not required to min-max in Witcher 3. If you care about roleplaying and appearence, you can use non-Witcher gear. Plenty of people do.

It's not wrong, it just makes for shit gaming.

Filling a world with unrewarding rewards is pointless.

Falksi

Arcane
For the first time ever, an RPG has been made with lots of vendor trash. Shame on you CDPR.

Point is that KOA:R & other games get slated for it, yet the loot they contain is nowhere near as pointless as the loot in TW3.

As I said earlier, at least in KOA:R I'd check items to see if they were any improvement. In TW3 once you had Witcher gear it wasn't even worth checking.

As far as fitting with the lore goes you then wouldn't expect a common armorer to be able to craft that specialty gear, in fact you even get a quest for master armorer tools because only they'd be fit to craft armor that's "strong yet flexible, light yet durable". In gameplay terms alternating between 2-4 suits over the course of a 100 hour campaign perhaps isn't much gear variety, and for those who'd like the extra variety the fact that the remaining armors are relatively worthless adds to their frustration.

Filling a world with unrewarding rewards is pointless.
The problem is taking a story-focused game in a semi-realistic open world and then filling that world with out of place crap for the sake of people who don't enjoy open worlds and need to be constantly "rewarded" through loot and whatnot.

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
Now you can do it all over again-you get new reskins of Witcher gear in game +

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[witcher 3 crafting]
the entire thing was horribly designed
You mean like the combat and majority of the side quests which are asking you to go kill a random unrelated ghost or a monster?
Speaking for myself I love this. This is one of the few games in which the protag's "day job" is interesting and has good gameplay all by itself. The "supernatural troubleshooter" concept in gaming has fascinated me since at least Nocturne (1999).

Codex Year of the Donut
[witcher 3 crafting]
the entire thing was horribly designed
You mean like the combat and majority of the side quests which are asking you to go kill a random unrelated ghost or a monster?
Speaking for myself I love this. This is one of the few games in which the protag's "day job" is interesting and has good gameplay all by itself. The "supernatural troubleshooter" concept in gaming has fascinated me since at least Nocturne (1999).
I agree. Most of them weren't "go kill nameless monster #3497", they were about a specific monster that was causing a lot of trouble, often with multiple ways to solve it.
The one that stuck with me most was the ancient leshen quest in Skellige. Was the Leshen actually protecting the village? Maybe not, but there was definitely a sort of symbiotic relationship between it killing off the weaker hunters and leaving the village stronger as an end result. It worked for the village this far, I saw no reason to possibly ruin the village by changing tradition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom