Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
the base ruleset of EE - Geralt will get his ass kicked horribly at any time if he messes up.

Where's the progression coming from then? Do you learn new movesets? Do more damage? I'm just curious what's the catch. The reason we have levels is to experience a sense of progression - coming back and whooping some monster that pushed your shit 5 levels back. Which is the main point of playing an RPG.

I wonder what Zombra and DalekFlay disagree about. Fighting and questing, gaining experience, improving your hero, that's the heart of an RPG. A game without that is not an RPG.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
(hard to say if this is normal because I don't see what you're talking about.)

eh, the lunges take you forward. the key is not to lunge recklessly.

there are controls for attacking short, med and long range. just clicking buttons will get you killed.

and make sure your attacks are mapped properly like it says in the manual.

other than that, it's up to you to face geralt in a particular direction. he's not going to automatically do anything for you anymore. (and he can't since the soft lock is disabled)

edit: oh, and fighting groups is hard at first. practice with single targets. and watch your stamina.

not my lunges, the unblockable lunges of the drowners. The problem, i surmised, is that while the manual aiming does indeed work to the center of the screen, its geralts movement that sometimes does not especially while holding the block key. Other odd annoyance: sometimes you are jogging around the enemies and then despite not changing any input whatsoever, geralt decides to slow down to a prowl right in front of an enemy you are trying to sidestep, for fucks sake.

ive gotten more used to it now and am prepared to get into the game with it because i love everything else the mod does and it does a lot. Just these little quirks and things like certain enemies having bullshit hitboxes and animation skipping (just slayed a bear and LOL at how if you hit it from directly behind it just instantly teleports around to face you and delivers a frontal bite. IIRC the griffin type enemies have quirks like this and have had since vanilla too) are kind of :roll:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder what Zombra and DalekFlay disagree about. Fighting and questing, gaining experience, improving your hero, that's the heart of an RPG. A game without that is not an RPG.
Progression and customization mechanics are indeed necessary to an RPG, like wheels are necessary to a car. But the wheels aren't the point of the car. The point is to take you somewhere.

Falksi

Arcane
Holy shit, when you chaps were saying you liked the game I thought you were refering to the EE.

You mean you actually played & liked the original version where 100 hours of your life is spent trying to get Geralt to move like a human, and not cruise ship?

Fuck. I don't like the game, but I get folk can find stuff in it they like with the EE version. But having to slog through the game to get to the good bits AND deal with all the shit which the original had? Deserves a medal.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

not my lunges, the unblockable lunges of the drowners
I find keeping my distance, then stepping back with he dodge key avoids them. then I can attack them while they're offbalance.

sometimes you are jogging around the enemies and then despite not changing any input whatsoever, geralt decides to slow down to a prowl right in front of an enemy you are trying to sidestep, for fucks sake.
again, you have to watch your stamina. I *think* that's the issue. again, I can't see it though

stamina etc is adjustable btw. almost everything is.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

We were just disagreeing on whether the combat was more engaging in one or the other, IIRC. He was saying TW3 rose well above Skyrim in multiple areas and I said only story really, since the quest design was all follow the arrow and the exploration all, well, follow the arrow. The combat in both is pretty meh, though Skyrim has cool archer combat which I actually enjoyed, so it maybe is even better? I dunno. We weren't disagreeing on whether either was an RPG, I don't think.

Gerrard

Arcane
the base ruleset of EE - Geralt will get his ass kicked horribly at any time if he messes up.

Where's the progression coming from then? Do you learn new movesets? Do more damage? I'm just curious what's the catch. The reason we have levels is to experience a sense of progression - coming back and whooping some monster that pushed your shit 5 levels back. Which is the main point of playing an RPG.

The EE author is a Soulscuck so that should answer your questions. I'm surprised you have more than 2 attacks.
"Oh no I swung my sword 3 times and now I'm too tired to swing it again!"

but doesn't that mean that you won't get to choose your waifu for the end game bonus in Blood & Wine?

You know, I'm not sure. Maybe it'll default to Yennefer? She was my OC waifu anyway, so I can live with that. Either way, it's clearly not the ideal way to go about it, but I think it'll be worth it in the end being able to play the DLCs with some fresh mechanics.
Unless she's empress, then it falls back to Dandelion.
fake news. she still comes as empress because she isn't empress yet. Her death triggers Dandelion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djousJpegvA

frankly, her as empress is the best ending for her. as her father, I want the best for her. I don't want her to die at the hands of some drowner, alone in some hellhole.

I play the entire game trying to deliver everything into the empire's hands, except maybe skellege. I'm sure Ciri can get along with them
Gerrard
why is this retarded? sure her dad is a sociopath who wants to be the power behind the throne, but don't you think being empress of most of the known world is a lot better than being a witcher, risking your life and being treated like shit by commoners?

plus, I think the whole game was leading up to this.

Ciri said:
"This is my story."

"You're just a witcher, what do you know of saving the world" or some such.

a good parent wants to see their child grow and move forward on their own, not to keep them around forever.

the "best" ending, where Ciri stays with Geralt seems selfish to me.

Gerrard

Arcane
He didn't disable anything, W3 doesn't have iframes. You could always be hit while rolling or dodging, there was even a skill that reduced the damage you take while doing it, but it never made you invulnerable.
but doesn't that mean that you won't get to choose your waifu for the end game bonus in Blood & Wine?

You know, I'm not sure. Maybe it'll default to Yennefer? She was my OC waifu anyway, so I can live with that. Either way, it's clearly not the ideal way to go about it, but I think it'll be worth it in the end being able to play the DLCs with some fresh mechanics.
Unless she's empress, then it falls back to Dandelion.
fake news. she still comes as empress because she isn't empress yet. Her death triggers Dandelion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djousJpegvA

frankly, her as empress is the best ending for her. as her father, I want the best for her. I don't want her to die at the hands of some drowner, alone in some hellhole.

I play the entire game trying to deliver everything into the empire's hands, except maybe skellege. I'm sure Ciri can get along with them
Gerrard
why is this retarded? sure her dad is a sociopath who wants to be the power behind the throne, but don't you think being empress of most of the known world is a lot better than being a witcher, risking your life and being treated like shit by commoners?

plus, I think the whole game was leading up to this.

Ciri said:
"This is my story."

"You're just a witcher, what do you know of saving the world" or some such.

a good parent wants to see their child grow and move forward on their own, not to keep them around forever.

the "best" ending, where Ciri stays with Geralt seems selfish to me.
Because that ending makes no sense plot-wise both from the book's and from the game's point.

retinoid

Savant
Has anyone tried Andrzej Kwiatkowski's FCR3 mod? Dev mods such as Sawyer's for F:NV or Gaider's for ToB tend to be quite good, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
Yes I use it and think it's essential. Doesn't seek to make ridiculously obtrusive changes, but simply to bring back the original gameplay vision that CDPR had in mind in early/mid development to the final game.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Because that ending makes no sense plot-wise
elaborate.
How do you imagine some random bimbo getting the throne? By what right? It was announced far and wide that she was dead, with a fake body and all that shit. And suddenly she comes back from the dead? Not to mention that by what you learn in the game Emhyr was quickly losing support.

Even better. Her being the Emperor's daughter was a closely guarded secret. In fact he married her double, to get a better claim on the conquered lands that were legally hers.

By what right?
blood of course
It was announced far and wide that she was dead, with a fake body and all that shit.
speaking of blood, the answer is blood again. who else is going to have the elder blood AND look like Ciri? it's proof enough to sell the idea anyway.
And suddenly she comes back from the dead?
all that matters is that her father steps down and someone else with a legitimate claim assumes the throne. who cares what body was found? oops, a mistake. new headline says Ciri is actually alive.
Even better. Her being the Emperor's daughter was a closely guarded secret. In fact he married her double, to get a better claim on the conquered lands that were legally hers.
again, doesn't matter if she's sitting on the throne as a puppet. she can claim her own lands.
The CDPR canon ending is her being a Witcher afaik
Implied by the anniversary video
so what? doesn't change the fact that the empress ending is objectively better.

they're just cucking to the fans who just couldn't stand to see Geralt cry in the other ending.

sure, the "best" ending would see Ciri living a hollow life as a monster-killing machine and probably dying a horrible death, but at least you didn't have to see man tears and Geralt, like the rest of you, never has to grow up.

6ZHCitI.png

She doesn't want to be empress, what makes you think she'd be a good empress?
she does if you pick the empress ending. she makes the choice herself. smh

she also goes through training and doesn't just assume the role. this is covered in the epilogue at the villa.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is no such thing as CDPR canon ending, the anniversary video was just nice thing for fans totally noncanon.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we get a Ciri game someday, since they said Geralt was done but The Witcher was not. In that case I'd expect the Ciri witcher ending would be canon, assuming it happens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom