Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Infinitron, Jul 6, 2016.

1. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    okay you makes me want to replay the game. still 150 hours for the game is a bit daunting to replay

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Show Spoiler
    fake news. she still comes as empress because she isn't empress yet. Her death triggers Dandelion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djousJpegvA

frankly, her as empress is the best ending for her. as her father, I want the best for her. I don't want her to die at the hands of some drowner, alone in some hellhole.

I play the entire game trying to deliver everything into the empire's hands, except maybe skellege. I'm sure Ciri can get along with them

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    This Enhanced Edition is kind of blowing my expectations out of the water. It is really good, and I wish I could have played through the entire game like this. In fact, I'll probably end up doing a replay of the OC with EE at some point - that's how good it is. I think there are a few things that just wouldn't work well if not fiddled with - such as the default carry weight for Geralt being something like 75lbs - but luckily the mod is highly customizeable. I'm trying to not deviate too far from the default Normal difficulty too much, but I did have to adjust carry weight on Geralt and Roach, cause that shit was going to get tedious very fast. Very happy with the alchemy and meditation changes too. Potion and oil use matters like it should. Also love how beautifully integrated things like Friendly UI is built into the mod. Love having my camera with Geralt in the middle and zoomed out a fair bit further than the default. Higher FOV obviously too.

I wasn't planning on playing this any more than an hour or so tonight to test it out, but I kind of got hooked in. I'm having fun doing side-quests in The Witcher 3 again. It's amazing.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yeah the default carry limit with this itemization is truly retarded. Especially on ghost mode that adds weight to everything. I ended up disabling this shit completely after like half hour.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    I've read quite a few positive comments about the EE mod, but I've also seen some things I don't like such as he added some of his own weapons to the game. I generally don't like mods that add fan-made items.

How does EE compare to the Ghost Mode mod or FCR3?

^ Top  
  6. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Can't say too much about items yet, except I already like itemization better in terms of usefulness. I think I've found a few of the unique armors that he's put into the game, and I like their placement. He kind of needed to add items and equipment to reward the player for exploration. It's part of why the sidequests I've been doing feel a lot more fun, because despite there not being an XP reward for them, I have found nice unique equipment, mutagens, diagrams, and vital ingredients. I don't know how it'll be handled overall, but it seems better than the base game anyway.

But yeah, don't really know what he was thinking with that weight capacity limit. I have no idea how it would even work with how much shit to pick up there is in the game. I know he wanted to limit it so you had to be more discerning in your looting habits, but the default is just too extreme and doesn't work with what we're expected to have resource-wise.

^ Top  
  7. HoboForEternity In every buttons you press Patron

HoboForEternity
    so what is the tl;dr changelog of the enhanced edition? is it the one that delevel the whole game and make it more like gothic?

^ Top  
  8. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    Is the skill system pretty much the same where you can only have 3(?) active skills plus 1 mutagen on each of the four skill trees? (Going by memory here because it's been a couple years now since I've played)

^ Top  
  9. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I'm not entirely sure if enemies get any stronger depending on the area they are in, but I don't think they do. I think certain creatures and enemy types have their base "level." You can feel when you've progressed past a certain enemy, but they are still usually very deadly if you're fighting stupidly. I don't think that it necessary makes it more like Gothic, but it makes it better than the base system by far. If you're interested in it, you should just download it real quick and give it a shot sometime. You'll get a feel for what is different really quick.

No, it's much better now and fits the open nature of the game in a more natural way, in my opinion. Every skill you put points into is activated, and there is no limitation at which order you acquire them. You gain skill points gradually by using a particular attack style, particular signs, doing alchemy, completing quest, and even eating, I think. Once your use in that particular area reaches 100%, you get a skill point you can spend in that particular skill set. Mutagens are simply equipped to do things like raise HP, vitality, sign intensity, etc. They modify without being tied directly to the use of skills. Again, the whole system works so much better than the terrible skill system in the base game. I kind of love it. He also modified what skills do quite a bit, as far as I can tell.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Haplo Arbiter Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Awesome, thank you Jinn.

Might need to try that myself. EE does sound like a huge improvement of the game I've had lots of issues with (mainly leveled mobs and equipment and character development). But I went quite far nonetheless (found Ciri, fought the Wild Hunt attack of, fought its Lieutenant or some such semi-boss) and don't feel like starting over such a long game. But if I can install the mod over existing play-trough.. that changes everything. I could finish the game with it.. and also try the DLCs with it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ScrotumBroth Scrotal Projection Patron

ScrotumBroth
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Agree with all of this. I haven't found the vampire who asks what year is it, nor acid tripping Roach part, simply because fatigue set in, and I couldn't be bothered to explore.

They nailed Regis in accordance with the books, thoroughly enjoyed the bromance. It made me want to read the books again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. pomenitul Savant

pomenitul
    Has anyone tried Andrzej Kwiatkowski's FCR3 mod? Dev mods such as Sawyer's for F:NV or Gaider's for ToB tend to be quite good, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

^ Top  
  13. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I wonder what Zombra and DalekFlay disagree about. Fighting and questing, gaining experience, improving your hero, that's the heart of an RPG. A game without that is not an RPG.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. cretin Educated

cretin

not my lunges, the unblockable lunges of the drowners. The problem, i surmised, is that while the manual aiming does indeed work to the center of the screen, its geralts movement that sometimes does not especially while holding the block key. Other odd annoyance: sometimes you are jogging around the enemies and then despite not changing any input whatsoever, geralt decides to slow down to a prowl right in front of an enemy you are trying to sidestep, for fucks sake.

ive gotten more used to it now and am prepared to get into the game with it because i love everything else the mod does and it does a lot. Just these little quirks and things like certain enemies having bullshit hitboxes and animation skipping (just slayed a bear and LOL at how if you hit it from directly behind it just instantly teleports around to face you and delivers a frontal bite. IIRC the griffin type enemies have quirks like this and have had since vanilla too) are kind of :roll:

^ Top  
  15. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Progression and customization mechanics are indeed necessary to an RPG, like wheels are necessary to a car. But the wheels aren't the point of the car. The point is to take you somewhere.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Holy shit, when you chaps were saying you liked the game I thought you were refering to the EE.

You mean you actually played & liked the original version where 100 hours of your life is spent trying to get Geralt to move like a human, and not cruise ship?

Fuck. I don't like the game, but I get folk can find stuff in it they like with the EE version. But having to slog through the game to get to the good bits AND deal with all the shit which the original had? Deserves a medal.

• Edgy x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    I find keeping my distance, then stepping back with he dodge key avoids them. then I can attack them while they're offbalance.

again, you have to watch your stamina. I *think* that's the issue. again, I can't see it though

stamina etc is adjustable btw. almost everything is.

^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    We were just disagreeing on whether the combat was more engaging in one or the other, IIRC. He was saying TW3 rose well above Skyrim in multiple areas and I said only story really, since the quest design was all follow the arrow and the exploration all, well, follow the arrow. The combat in both is pretty meh, though Skyrim has cool archer combat which I actually enjoyed, so it maybe is even better? I dunno. We weren't disagreeing on whether either was an RPG, I don't think.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    The EE author is a Soulscuck so that should answer your questions. I'm surprised you have more than 2 attacks.
    "Oh no I swung my sword 3 times and now I'm too tired to swing it again!"

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    Gerrard
    Show Spoiler
    why is this retarded? sure her dad is a sociopath who wants to be the power behind the throne, but don't you think being empress of most of the known world is a lot better than being a witcher, risking your life and being treated like shit by commoners?

plus, I think the whole game was leading up to this.

a good parent wants to see their child grow and move forward on their own, not to keep them around forever.

the "best" ending, where Ciri stays with Geralt seems selfish to me.

^ Top  
  21. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    except he disabled dodging invincibility. it's nothing like dark souls.
    if you don't agree with how it is now, stamina is adjustable.

^ Top  
  22. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    He didn't disable anything, W3 doesn't have iframes. You could always be hit while rolling or dodging, there was even a skill that reduced the damage you take while doing it, but it never made you invulnerable.
    Because that ending makes no sense plot-wise both from the book's and from the game's point.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    elaborate.

^ Top  
  24. retinoid Novice

retinoid
    Yes I use it and think it's essential. Doesn't seek to make ridiculously obtrusive changes, but simply to bring back the original gameplay vision that CDPR had in mind in early/mid development to the final game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    How do you imagine some random bimbo getting the throne? By what right? It was announced far and wide that she was dead, with a fake body and all that shit. And suddenly she comes back from the dead? Not to mention that by what you learn in the game Emhyr was quickly losing support.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)