Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

The expansions are very much recommended. Incentives to pick them up early: HoS expands on the existing velen/novigrad/oxenfurt map and both have unique dialog if they're tackled while the tw3 main quest is still ongoing, however they're meant to be tackled after the main quest and seeing them get advertised out of place before it's done can be annoying. They do bring back some characters from previous games you might have missed. B&W main story is much faster paced and designed so that people who don't like open worlds can just ignore open world traversal as the main story dialog gives you the choice of automatically travelling from one main quest location to the next almost every time.

You're going to make him miss out on Mignole-Vesemir dialogue.
In a spoiler free way for sullynathan : It's clear by that alone that Hearts of Stone was intended to be at least started before the battle of Kaer Morhen.
Nonsense, you get dialog both ways and the one you get if you've proceeded through/completed the main quest is far more touching. At no point in the main story is there an excuse to fuck off to the end of the map looking for some random contract and it would further break apart any pacing or coherence the main story had (which already meanders too much once you get to novigrad).

The game & expansions were meant to be played in the order they released in, main quest first, HoS after that, B&W after that. It's all the random witcher contracts and quests that aren't connected to any of the main quests that can be left for after the main quests are done. The end of the B&W quest even gives you a useful object that doesn't carry over into NG+ and still expects you to go around doing a lot of witcher's work in order to benefit from it.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
The more I think about my time with the game, the more boring the game looks.
I haven't finished any of the expansions out of boredom. The excel sheet approach to equipment and ridiculously low difficulty had got to me by the end and nothing I did felt impactful. Also the neverending gear hunt felt completely pointless.
I liked how the base game story closed but the hearts of stone and vine and blut had way too much cinematics and I was already bored, eagerly awaiting some challenge instead of stupid videos that show Geralt behaving as if he was lvl 1 again instead of this bad ass motherfucker lvl 35. This especially pissed me off.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In a spoiler free way for sullynathan : It's clear by that alone that Hearts of Stone was intended to be at least started before the battle of Kaer Morhen.

Um...it's more like this whole micro plot is inserted into the game for that small minority of people who happen to play HoS before the Kaer Morhen battle. Feels more like an easter egg than anything else. Certainly doesn't mean it's a canon or some such.

Codex Year of the Donut

Um...it's more like this whole micro plot is inserted into the game for that small minority of people who happen to play HoS before the Kaer Morhen battle. Feels more like an easter egg than anything else. Certainly doesn't mean it's a canon or some such.
except there are multiple references to Hearts of Stone in the base game that you'll miss by doing it at the end.

sullynathan

Arcane
At this point with how easy the game has been for the last 40 hours on death march, I just go through the motions in fights.

I fought Imlerith, and just stood there tanking attacks while regenerating and repeating Quen. Imlerith could be cool just because of the constant teleportation but the games mechanics are too forgiving. Your short dodge has way too many i-frames so dodging early or late isn't punished at all.

Fighting an Ifrit with 5+ level differential is a decently challenging fight that at least requires you to use some of your bombs and oils by using dimeritium bombs to stop them from doing their fireballs, setting themselves on fire and doing fire AOE attacks.

The kaer Morhen battle is full bioware stuff. Like the suicide mission or archdemon final fight but not quite as good.

You can't really choose which of your companions do what mid-battle and none of them are under any real threat. I believe, lambert would've died if kiera wasn't in my game.

The only person that died was Vesemir but looking on the internet, it was a scripted death that happens for everyone. Poor old man, died to a buff elf.

The battle did give greater insight to trish & yen's relationship. Yen is clearly more jealous, controlling and hot headed than trish is with how she assumes leadership positions (even when others don't want her to) and she has greater knowledge than triss. Really, she's an old woman in a younger body while triss is much softer and submissive than that.

Looking back at the previous games from a witcher 3 perspective, triss is like a younger girl that had a crush on an older mature guy. Clearly, she likes geralt more than geralt likes her and is more willing to show her softer side to geralt than Yennefer does.

Level 30 now. Completed the battle and back in novigrad. I'll finish up gathering the rest of my mastercrafted gear and making them ahead of time because it's not cheap and then start hearts of stone.

Emhyr is a cheap son of a bitch for only giving 2000 crowns for his daughter. Surely the emperor can spare more?

I tried playing witcher 2 again to see how accurate this is but the game runs worse on my computer than witcher 3.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Nonsense, you get dialog both ways and the one you get if you've proceeded through/completed the main quest is far more touching. At no point in the main story is there an excuse to fuck off to the end of the map looking for some random contract and it would further break apart any pacing or coherence the main story had (which already meanders too much once you get to novigrad).
This. It's nice that there's some reactivity between the DLC and the main game, but in-universe it makes zero sense to go for that contract while the main plot is finally gathering pace.

Falksi

Arcane
At this point with how easy the game has been for the last 40 hours on death march, I just go through the motions in fights.

I fought Imlerith, and just stood there tanking attacks while regenerating and repeating Quen. Imlerith could be cool just because of the constant teleportation but the games mechanics are too forgiving. Your short dodge has way too many i-frames so dodging early or late isn't punished at all.

Fighting an Ifrit with 5+ level differential is a decently challenging fight that at least requires you to use some of your bombs and oils by using dimeritium bombs to stop them from doing their fireballs, setting themselves on fire and doing fire AOE attacks.

The kaer Morhen battle is full bioware stuff. Like the suicide mission or archdemon final fight but not quite as good.

You can't really choose which of your companions do what mid-battle and none of them are under any real threat. I believe, lambert would've died if kiera wasn't in my game.

The only person that died was Vesemir but looking on the internet, it was a scripted death that happens for everyone. Poor old man, died to a buff elf.

The battle did give greater insight to trish & yen's relationship. Yen is clearly more jealous, controlling and hot headed than trish is with how she assumes leadership positions (even when others don't want her to) and she has greater knowledge than triss. Really, she's an old woman in a younger body while triss is much softer and submissive than that.

Looking back at the previous games from a witcher 3 perspective, triss is like a younger girl that had a crush on an older mature guy. Clearly, she likes geralt more than geralt likes her and is more willing to show her softer side to geralt than Yennefer does.

Level 30 now. Completed the battle and back in novigrad. I'll finish up gathering the rest of my mastercrafted gear and making them ahead of time because it's not cheap and then start hearts of stone.

Emhyr is a cheap son of a bitch for only giving 2000 crowns for his daughter. Surely the emperor can spare more?

I tried playing witcher 2 again to see how accurate this is but the game runs worse on my computer than witcher 3.

You can literally play the game blindfloded even on Death March such is the predictability of the fighting.

I think people have to be a special level of retard to still find combat interesting in this after the first few hours. Lord knows why they bloated this game up so much, it's so much worse for it.

Sentinel

Arcane
Witcher 3 is the only game I've ever played where all the supposedly "ENHANCED COMBAT MODS" just make it play even worse. None of the mods address the combat's issue, which is the lack of moves on enemies. The combat mechanics themselves are fine. Only light/heavy attacks need some tuning to make heavy attacks useful but that's it.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You just didnt try the right mods then.

The combat mechanics themselves are fine.
Endless stamina, endless rolling, endless free alchemy potions and oils and bombs - its fine!
Maybe you think that combat mechanics is just "moves".

Sentinel

Arcane
Yes, it is fine, because all those problems can be corrected by tuning the monster AI and solving the problem I mentioned. However, none of the mods do this. instead they implement retarded shit like manual aiming, "dark souls" combat that feels like fucking trash in the game, and other stupid alchemy revamps.

Hint: stamina bars dont make your combat good

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thats just idiotic.
Endless stamina, rolling, dodging, sign use and endless free potions, bombs and oils cannot be solved by tweaking completely different parts of mechanics, unless you are completely retarded.
The "problem you mentioned" even if changed would not in any way change the combat mechanics except superficially.

And as i said, several mods do that too, only in more comprehensive way which includes disabling features for retards.

Codex Year of the Donut
This. It's nice that there's some reactivity between the DLC and the main game, but in-universe it makes zero sense to go for that contract while the main plot is finally gathering pace.
you can apply that to 99% of the content available in the main game, it's a shit argument
hope you never do a single sidequest, complete any activity on the map, bother interacting with shopkeepers, play gwent, etc., because there's an important main quest to finish first

Insert Title Here
Witcher 1 combat was simplistic rhytm clicker... but it relied more on stats and alchemy effects.
Plus it had some cool moves and effects (group style!).
I preferred it over the arcade combat in TW2 & TW3.

TW2 has the worst combat of the three imo. While not great, the combat in TW3 had some sense of spectacle and satisfying dismemberment at least, while TW2's combat was just boring af. TW1's combat was weird, but I did like the different combat styles and it felt kinda good when you got into the "zone" with the rhythmic clicking.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Endless stamina, rolling, dodging, sign use and endless free potions, bombs and oils cannot be solved by tweaking completely different parts of mechanics, unless you are completely retarded.
That implies they're problems to begin with, you mongoloid. Stamina bars don't make a good combat system. There's plenty of games with good combat that have infinite stamina.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
you can apply that to 99% of the content available in the main game
You can, and it's a valid argument. There's no in-game reason for Geralt to wander around taking on random contracts when he's got more important, seemingly urgent things to do.

Morrowind did it right.

Witcher 3 gets a lot of shit for its combat (and rightfully so) but Witcher 1 is on a whole other level.
When it comes to game mechanics, TW1 stands heads and shoulders above the sequels. It doesn't have the greatest combat system ever, but aside from some balance issues it works reasonably well, and the alchemy system (R.I.P.) complements it. Aside from that it also has the best itemization and inventory system, character development, economy and minigames*. TW2 is a complete mess even after a million patches, tweaks and balancing attempts, whereas TW3 has stuff that makes you facepalm so hard your hand comes out of the back of your skull.

* Gwent is great, but you don't get that personal investment of losing all of your money to Cunt de Wett and winning it back later on. It's also a real shame TW1 is the only game in the series that has proper mechanics for getting drunk.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That implies they're problems to begin with, you mongoloid. Stamina bars don't make a good combat system. There's plenty of games with good combat that have infinite stamina.
I haven't said anything about "stamina bars making a good combat system" you dumb shit, if you'll argue - argue what i actually said, or feel free to have brain diarhea in your private talks to yourself.

- name any of such games, cretin.

- explain how and why "more moves" would make any difference in the system as it is, shit for brains.

Some of this isn't bad, just depends on implementation.
All of it is bad and horrible in the game and the overall system as it is. Implementation included.

I cant see how it can be good in any other circumstances, but then again neither can you. Else you would be able to provide examples.

Codex Year of the Donut
having a stamina bar for combat feels dumb when you're playing a character far beyond typical human athletic abilities imo. One of the defining traits of witchers is their near-superhuman levels of stamina.

Sentinel

Arcane
I haven't said anything about "stamina bars making a good combat system" you dumb shit, if you'll argue - argue what i actually said, or feel free to have brain diarhea in your private talks to yourself.

- name any of such games, cretin.

- explain how and why "more moves" would make any difference in the system as it is, shit for brains.

Some of this isn't bad, just depends on implementation.
All of it is bad and horrible in the game and the overall system as it is. Implementation included.

I cant see how it can be good in any other circumstances, but then again neither can you. Else you would be able to provide examples.
If among your complaints figures "infinite stamina", then necessarily you are implying that a stamina bar as a resource would fix whatever problem you perceive to exist, you fuckin shit-for-brains.
Games without stamina that have good combat? Holy shit, don't mind me.
- Devil May Cry 3
- Devil May Cry 4
- Devil May Cry 5
- Bayonetta
- Bayonetta 2
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
- God Hand
- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Asura's Wrath
- God of War 1-3

More moves on enemies would make a difference because that's the entire problem with Witcher 3's combat - each enemy has max 2 moves (3 in the case of bosses) that they repeat over and over again, making them extremely predictable. Hell, I don't think I'll ever forget when I fought Detlaff and he kept doing the same 3 attacks in the same exact sequence in a loop. Literally over and over and over again. There was nothing to surprise me, I knew the exact sequence the Ai was following, as I know every move pretty much every enemy in the game has precisely because they're all extremely limited. That's why combat becomes subpar very quickly, the AI is no match for the player. As soon as the player's level/gear catches up with monster power the AI is completely exposed for the trash it is and you only die if you're actively trying to.

sullynathan

Arcane

Easy example would be any good action game that has no stamina system, endless rolling, and bombs.

You have DMC, Bayonetta, MGR, god hand, ninja gaiden etc.

The actual mechanics aren't bad per say. You have light, heavy attack, crossbow to hit and knockdown flying enemies, two for close range attacks and to get further away from AOE attacks, etc.

It's better than witcher 1's combat in its entirety.

The bigger problem that was mentioned was the fact that enemies have little movesets.
Every enemy within their group category only has like 4 - 5 moves: A standard combo, a running attack, a dodge, flying enemies circle around to do an aerial attack and a counterattack to get them out of being stun locked.

The latter is the one I usually think it's flawed because counters can happen and damage/ interrupt the player even if the animation doesn't play.

Dodges in general are just very very generous.

Unlike dark souls that does the exact same thing, the enemies here aren't aggressive enough and their moves don't change enough. There's always a specific pattern.

Oils and bombs aren't as useful because they don't make much of a difference in regular battle unless you're fighting an opponent 5 - 10 levels higher than you. After all, what does it matter if you kill your opponent in one less hit?

The game falls back to an assassin's creed style rhythm where you're just exploiting your enemy's very limited moveset. It's why the combat feels worse than it is or should be.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If among your complaints figures "infinite stamina", then necessarily you are implying that a stamina bar as a resource would fix whatever problem you perceive to exist, you fuckin shit-for-brains.
Games without stamina that have good combat? Holy shit, don't mind me.
- Devil May Cry 3
- Devil May Cry 4
- Devil May Cry 5
- Bayonetta
- Bayonetta 2
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
- God Hand
- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Asura's Wrath
- God of War 1-3

More moves on enemies would make a difference because that's the entire problem with Witcher 3's combat - each enemy has max 2 moves (3 in the case of bosses) that they repeat over and over again, making them extremely predictable. .

I dont necessarily imply a godamn thing you dumb low mentally broken turd. The point is what stamina does - inside the whole system of mechanics of combat in a RPG game, not if it has a fucking bar or not.
Which is irrelevant cosmetic consequence you devolved dumb imbecile.
Even if this is an action RPG instead of action games a dumbfuck like you lists as examples of good combat - only because they gave enough shiny distractions to keep your malfunctioning turd of a brain confused, this game is supposed to have limits imposed by character skills - as well as those of enemies. As well as some limits imposed by the world, the setting internal rules - so any "forever free" mass market dumbfuck feature directly ruins that and makes the game into a dumb superficial action hack and slash for dumbfucks like you.

The enemies do not have "max 2" moves either. And although it would be better if they had a few more - its is not the "entire problem" of combat mechanics you ludicrous dumb shit.
You only get to worry about moves sequences - because everything else has no fucking relevance, and everything is made too easy. Its not the "entire w3" combat mechanics problem but just one consequence of retardation into a popamole action crap made for dumb turds like you. How many moves would be enough to confuse a dumbfuck like you? Five? Seven? Ten? What would be the point when you are not limited by any character stat and can dish attacks and roll around like a retard as much as you like? Instead of one sequence you would just figure out another.

You godamn mass market action game brainless hemorrhoid.

Easy example would be any good action game that has no stamina system, endless rolling, and bombs.
The bigger problem that was mentioned was the fact that enemies have little movesets.
Every enemy within their group category only has like 4 - 5 moves: A standard combo, a running attack, a dodge, flying enemies circle around to do an aerial attack and a counterattack to get them out of being stun locked.

The latter is the one I usually think it's flawed because counters can happen and damage/ interrupt the player even if the animation doesn't play.
Dodges in general are just very very generous.

Unlike dark souls that does the exact same thing, the enemies here aren't aggressive enough and their moves don't change enough. There's always a specific pattern.
Oils and bombs aren't as useful because they don't make much of a difference in regular battle unless you're fighting an opponent 5 - 10 levels higher than you. After all, what does it matter if you kill your opponent in one less hit?

This is not a fucking action game. At least it isnt supposed to be.

The game falls back to an assassin's creed style rhythm where you're just exploiting your enemy's very limited moveset. It's why the combat feels worse than it is or should be.
And that happens because no other mechanic is important - because they made other mechanics free and too easy.
With a modded game enemies block more, dodge more, have better Ai, higher damage - and you are not just free to run around and twitch click dodge and roll however you like, while you can also use stamina depletion against them.
And then the bombs, signs and oils actually become important - and you cant just splurge them around without any care or relevance to anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom