Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Codex Year of the Donut
can't be rpgoty if it's not an rpg
I've always maintained it's a good interactive movie, not a good RPG.
I'm glad we agree that disco communism is an interactive novel.
In DE your stats determine the branching of conversations and success of skillchecks. It's still more RPG than Witcher 3.
When did branching conversations become the definition of RPG?

Vatnik Wumao
In DE your stats determine the branching of conversations and success of skillchecks. It's still more RPG than Witcher 3.
The law of the 'dex: any talk about vidya will inadvertently lead to a shift in conversation to the topic of what constitutes an RPG.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I really don't want to defend the storyfag POV, but essentially every single RPG is divided into two parts: combat and mechanics related to it on the one and roleplaying, story and C&C on the other side.
I think storyfags and RPers are retarded, but it's still a valid part of what makes an RPG an RPG.
That said I haven't even played Disco Elysium, but I assume you can RP and solve quests in various ways through dialogue choices.

jackofshadows

Magister
That being said, even though I've quite enjoyed DE, I find it mind-boggling how you could consider DE to be more of an RPG than TW3
Yup, I think so too. In TW3, the only affection of the whole char system progression on the game's world is Axii in dialogues. That's it. The game basically don't give a flying fuck what kind of a witcher you are outside of combat. Unlike DE, obviously.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I said *more RPG*. "RPG" as a quality of a game.
It's still orders of magnitude better than "if it has no combat it's not an RPG" which is obviously wrong.

AwesomeButton

Patron
That being said, even though I've quite enjoyed DE, I find it mind-boggling how you could consider DE to be more of an RPG than TW3, AwesomeButton.
It allows for more of what is literally the "roleplay" part of "RPG". Creating a character concept and expressing it through your choices.

Vatnik Wumao
That being said, even though I've quite enjoyed DE, I find it mind-boggling how you could consider DE to be more of an RPG than TW3
Yup, I think so too. In TW3, the only affection of the whole char system progression on the game's world is Axii in dialogues. That's it. The game basically don't give a flying fuck what kind of a witcher you are outside of combat. Unlike DE, obviously.
True, but TW3 also has much more C&C in terms of quest resolutions and what not, while DE's strong point is that it gives you an overabundance of textual flavor.

Vatnik Wumao
That being said, even though I've quite enjoyed DE, I find it mind-boggling how you could consider DE to be more of an RPG than TW3, AwesomeButton.
It allows for more of what is literally the "roleplay" part of "RPG". Creating a character concept and expressing it through your choices.
It allows for more maybe, but both have it. TW3 on the other hand also has a real combat system and an equipment & inventory system which is much better integrated into the game's mechanics and much more fleshed out. From this perspective, TW3 allows for both the more theatrical part of roleplaying (C&C and what not) and the more wargamey part which combatfags define as the quintessential aspect of a CRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom